Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Globalization causes our problems. It takes the desicion making away from the skilled and places it squarely into the hands of greedy morons. It is only good for the bottom line of the shareholders. Consumers are easily convinced to follow like sheep.
Hyundai owners are not the best at purchasing drivers type of cars, but more of a to b. I don't take them seriously.
Look at Volvo. It has worked out great for them.

And created jobs in South Carolina in the process.
Sponsored

NavyJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS; Bikini; Manual; Soft Top. Let the spending begin.
I bought a new Elantra when I graduated college (a long time ago) I put over 100,000 hard miles on it and then gave it to my inlaws who put another 60,000 miles on it until they hit a deer and totaled it. I see this as a win, it is no less American than FCA owning it.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Hyundai officially denied rumors.

jerrrybalogh

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK
Hyundai already built the frame of the Jeep you have now. And of other Jeeps for the last 12 years or so.
They assemble the rolling chassis. they do not build the frame or other structural components

Sponsored

JeepDrvr2018

First Name
Montgomery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Retired Master Certified RV Tech
How bout a Wrangler Sante Fe. Seriously though, same thoughts. Quality and reliability would have to get better. We shall see....
If that happens, I won't be buying a new Wrangler, will get the new Ranger Pickup instead, since it's still an American company. The only foreign car I would consider is Acura or Honda, the rest of them I won't own. Not to say I have not, it's just I like to keep my dollars here as much as I can.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
If that happens, I won't be buying a new Wrangler, will get the new Ranger Pickup instead, since it's still an American company. The only foreign car I would consider is Acura or Honda, the rest of them I won't own. Not to say I have not, it's just I like to keep my dollars here as much as I can.
You realize they are owned by an Italian company now, right? And include components made in China and Mexico among other places?

I don't really understand this mentality anymore. These are all global companies with global supply chains.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
You realize they are owned by an Italian company now, right? And include components made in China and Mexico among other places?

I don't really understand this mentality anymore. These are all global companies with global supply chains.
Haha 'Murica's Jeep has been owned by an Italian and a German car company in recent years.... Daimler-Chrysler then Fiat

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase

When I bought my pickup, the this was, which is more "Buy American" -- a Dodge that was made by a US company at a Mexican plant or a Japanese company that was making a truck in a US plant?

It's very difficult these days to buy anything that does not have some sort of global input into it. Hell, even my 2006 Harley has metric parts in it and I don't think they were made by US manufacturers who just happened to decide to make things metric.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
When I bought my pickup, the this was, which is more "Buy American" -- a Dodge that was made by a US company at a Mexican plant or a Japanese company that was making a truck in a US plant?

It's very difficult these days to buy anything that does not have some sort of global input into it. Hell, even my 2006 Harley has metric parts in it and I don't think they were made by US manufacturers who just happened to decide to make things metric.
Yep--If one is so damned concerned with buying an "American" vehicle, they might as well just make sure it's actually built here. That's good enough.

Toyota Tundras, Honda Accords, Toyota Camrys, and endless other examples are produced in the USA. Unlike many cars from 'American' companies these days.

I'm personally slightly bummed the Pentastar engine moved production to Mexico. But I'll happily take the new Japanese manual transmission!

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Yep--If one is so damned concerned with buying an "American" vehicle, they might as well just make sure it's actually built here. That's good enough.

Toyota Tundras, Honda Accords, Toyota Camrys, and endless other examples are produced in the USA. Unlike many cars from 'American' companies these days.

I'm personally slightly bummed the Pentastar engine moved production to Mexico. But I'll happily take the new Japanese manual transmission!
Well, one could argue that by helping the economy of Mexico, it might reduce the illegal aliens who come here to the US. As someone from Texas though, I have less of an issue with Mexicans who come here than the Yankess who come down here and expect us to change our ways to match the leftist warrens that they escaped from. HINT -- Ice hockey should not be played in any place where ice does not form naturally on bodies of water during the winter.

I test drove a JK with a manual transmission and a few days later, a JLU with a manual transmission. I did not mind the JK manual, but I will admit that the JLU manual was more of a car grade manual transmission with respect to the smoothness of shifting. I thought about it for a bit and considered going with the JK, but decided to go with the JL instead, think that just *maybe* my wife would be willing to move my car out of her way instead of making me do it when I park behind her. Probably wishful thinking though. She refuses to drive a manual even though I know very well that she knows how since her first car was one. I've been driving manual transmission vehicles for probably 50 years, if you include tractors on the ranch and I just prefer them over automatics.

Last edited:

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
I concur, I just received the window sticker (Jeep should be here tomorrow if its not there today but dealer is closed Sundays) and was bummed about the Mexico motor. Whats theyre track record on the 3.6 from Mexico & why the shift from Toledo on the JK's to Mexico for the JL's?
Sponsored