Hypothecially

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Hey all I have a question maybe you guys can help me out.

I have My 2020 JLU Sport and I have a Clayton Off-Road 2.5 overland kit with fox 2.0's on Toyo 285x75x17's. I will be upgrading the axles to Rubicon hopefully soonish. My current wheel and tire combo puts me at about 85 almost 86lbs per, stock is around 73lbs. I am very weight conscious on my Jeep mainly because I have the 30/35 combo and its my daily driver but I do get out on the trails once every couple weeks. But I plan on picking up a set of C rated 37x12.5x17's in the near future. I am essentially only gaining 4lbs per tire compared to my current setup. Other than the gears being the 3.45 and the axles being on the weaker side would this create a lot more wear than my current set?

I guess basically I want to know if you had a heavier 35" tire wheel combo compared to a lighter 37" tire combo that was essentially the same weight would the increase in diameter cause more wear than the 35" set? Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks !
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Not sure about the wear differences there, but IMO I'd wait to get 37s until after you get the Rubicon axles. I wouldn't feel confident running those 37s on base axles w/ street gears. I say this because you stated that you like to wheel every couple weeks, I think that much wheeling would be quite a bit w/ this setup as-is.

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Not sure about the wear differences there, but IMO I'd wait to get 37s until after you get the Rubicon axles. I wouldn't feel confident running those 37s on base axles w/ street gears. I say this because you stated that you like to wheel every couple weeks, I think that much wheeling would be quite a bit w/ this setup as-is.
Agreed, getting new axle on is priority #1 right now but after I saw the weight of those c rated ko2’s it got me thinking

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Yeah, I wouldn’t do 37’s on the stock sport axles/gears. Even if you don’t break something, the parts will wear out way quicker. If you are upgrading axels, do that first I’d say. 👍
Sponsored