Sponsored

Hydrogen... Jeep, are you paying attention?

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/toyota-hydrogen-powered-pickup-suv

Toyota is ahead of the curve on this one. Rather than oversized battery packs they're introducing a technology that I really feel can replace the ICE vehicles. You don't need to sit waiting for you battery to recharge, just fill up the tanks and go. And yes, hydrogen is explosive....so is gasoline....and from what we've seen lately with Teslas burning up, they're flammable too. I would never buy a battery powered EV like they're offering now but build a fuel cell/electric vehicle and you really have the best of both worlds. I have a friend who works for Iveco in Arizona and they're having very good results with their hydrogen/fuel cell powered trucks. That's the way to go, tell China to pound sand with their rare earth minerals for batteries. You can make hydrogen from sea water so we won't have to kowtow to OPEC or anyone else.
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Not to be pedantic but neither hydrogen nor gasoline “explode,” per se… they are highly flammable and combust. But to your point, some argue that hydrogen is actually safer than gas:

https://www.nrdc.org/experts/christian-tae/hydrogen-safety-lets-clear-air

The main barriers are clean production, distribution, and storage. But I wouldn’t bet against Toyota. They may be on the right track. We live in interesting times.

CreepyCrepe

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge Green JLUWS, 20 Honda Pilot Elite
Clubs

Not to be pedantic but neither hydrogen nor gasoline “explode,” per se… they are highly flammable and combust. But to your point, some argue that hydrogen is actually safer than gas:

https://www.nrdc.org/experts/christian-tae/hydrogen-safety-lets-clear-air

The main barriers are clean production, distribution, and storage. But I wouldn’t bet against Toyota. They may be on the right track. We live in interesting times.
I'm pretty sure that BMW is working with Toyota on this one in exchange for BMW completely building supplying components for the Supra. There was a press release recently for a Hydrogen X5.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/toyota-hydrogen-powered-pickup-suv

Toyota is ahead of the curve on this one. Rather than oversized battery packs they're introducing a technology that I really feel can replace the ICE vehicles. You don't need to sit waiting for you battery to recharge, just fill up the tanks and go. And yes, hydrogen is explosive....so is gasoline....and from what we've seen lately with Teslas burning up, they're flammable too. I would never buy a battery powered EV like they're offering now but build a fuel cell/electric vehicle and you really have the best of both worlds. I have a friend who works for Iveco in Arizona and they're having very good results with their hydrogen/fuel cell powered trucks. That's the way to go, tell China to pound sand with their rare earth minerals for batteries. You can make hydrogen from sea water so we won't have to kowtow to OPEC or anyone else.
Hydrogen fuel cells are nothing new. There's just ZERO infrastructure outside of small parts of California to support it so it will take much longer to adopt than EVs ever will.

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
Hydrogen fuel cells are nothing new. There's just ZERO infrastructure outside of small parts of California to support it so it will take much longer to adopt than EVs ever will.
Isn't that really one of the same issues we currently have with EV's being forced upon us? I'm all for new technology but don't force me into it.

Sponsored

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Hydrogen has a lot of drawbacks, including the fact that it requires more energy right now to create than anything else. You are better off charging your EV with coal than using hydrogen, at present.

Unless we start building more nuclear reactors...

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon

Eeshasdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Rubicon
Nice story. The big issue with this type of tech is that most hydrogen is being produced form natural gas, so why not just go with a NG power plant. Granted the infrastructure is not there for NG either.

No matter what comes next , it will require a huge investment in infrastructure.

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
What about swappable hydrogen fuel cells. If manufacturers could agree to a standard then you could have places where you pull up, dismount your empty fuel cells and swap back in full ones. Similar to propane cylinder exchange done at stores right now. This could also work for batteries in EVs. Then, instead of having to build stations with specialized equipment and ways to transport, you could use over the road trucks and just need storage areas for the fuel cells.

Sponsored

ghorsepower

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport
Jeep Wrangler JL Hydrogen... Jeep, are you paying attention? 1670346942716

Because you would be swapping an equivalent of 21 20lb Hydrogen cells at every fill up thats why we cant just "swap tanks"...

I ain't doing that, hell i get back in the car when I put gas in for more than 30 seconds and am winded.

ghorsepower

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport
Or how about we be radical and use Hydrocarbon fuels!

No changes required. End of.
Because we ran out of dead dinosaurs a few million years ago to fill up the tank and the current brew rate to cook up some more is not equal to our consumption, for one? And the second reason makes peoples fees fees hurt when you talk about it.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't that really one of the same issues we currently have with EV's being forced upon us? I'm all for new technology but don't force me into it.
Do you have electricity at home? Then you have the ability to charge an EV. Plus I'm willing to bet that there are high voltage EV charging stations not too far from you, unless you're WAYYYY out in the boonies.

My point being electrical infrastructure is all over the country, but Hydrogen isn't.
Sponsored