HYDRO BLUE Wrangler JL Club

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Well, today I think I discovered the ONE and ONLY downside to Hydro Blue...

Went for a sunrise hike in the Eastern Sierra this morning. Was gone for about 3-4 hours. Came back to the trailhead and found my Jeep COVERED in BEES.

You might say that I was bee-sieged.

I looked around--I couldn't bee-lieve my eyes--at the other cars parked nearby. And mine was the only one swarmed with bees. Apparently they have good taste in Jeep colors, though I wish they did not because I have a long standing phobia of bees and wasps.

There was no way I was opening the doors (or the rear hatch to lift my dog into the back) and risk having a whole swarm of bees INSIDE the Jeep.

So, I ended up luring them away by pouring some water on the pavement away from the Jeep. In the desert, that's usually what they're after. And, like a charm, they buzzed off a few minutes later and I was able to throw my pack and my dog into the Jeep and make a beeline back to civilization..

I looked it up when I got back to town. Apparently bees have evolved to gravitate towards blue/purple/ultraviolet light. Their photoreceptors only really process that end of the spectrum. Which explains why they were all over my blue Jeep.

BUT... I thought I'd come share with y'all, bee-cause it might bee important to bee aware of this potential Hydro Blue hazard. 🤣🐝
Sponsored

schulah

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon

Went for a sunrise hike in the Eastern Sierra this morning. Was gone for about 3-4 hours. Came back to the trailhead and found my Jeep COVERED in BEES.

I looked around--I couldn't bee-lieve my eyes--at the other cars parked nearby. And mine was the only one swarmed with bees. Apparently they have good taste in Jeep colors, though I wish they did not because I have a long standing phobia of bees and wasps.

There was no way I was opening the doors (or the rear hatch to lift my dog into the back) and risk having a whole swarm of bees INSIDE the Jeep.

So, I ended up luring them away by pouring some water on the pavement away from the Jeep. In the desert, that's usually what they're after. And, like a charm, they buzzed off a few minutes later and I was able to throw my pack and my dog into the Jeep and make a beeline back to civilization..

I looked it up when I got back to town. Apparently bees have evolved to gravitate towards blue/purple/ultraviolet light. Their photoreceptors only really process that end of the spectrum. Which explains why they were all over my blue Jeep.

BUT... I thought I'd come share with y'all, bee-cause it might bee important to bee aware of this potential Hydro Blue hazard. 🤣🐝
Well, it is a bee-autiful color! 🤷🏼‍♂️

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I don’t bee-lieve you :LOL:! Any pics of these bees??
I think he may bee kidding us too. Beeing the only decent color offered right now, it could bee the bees know this and are just trying to bee cool by hanging out on the Hydro jeep.

Beelieve it or not, bees can bee very intelligent and just want to bee cool like Hydro drivers.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Well, it is a bee-autiful color! 🤷🏼‍♂️
You got that right! It's a color that really generates a lot of buzz!

I don’t bee-lieve you :LOL:! Any pics of these bees??
Alas, I am bee-reft of bee pictures. I was too busy bumbling around with getting rid of them. Also, I was wearing a blue shirt and they were coming for me next. 😱

I think he may bee kidding us too. Beeing the only decent color offered right now, it could bee the bees know this and are just trying to bee cool by hanging out on the Hydro jeep.

Beelieve it or not, bees can bee very intelligent and just want to bee cool like Hydro drivers.
See, I knew the Hydro Blue hivemind would appreciate the raw magnetism of this color!

But yeah, before I just drone on with the bee puns any further... there really were bees everywhere on it. It was pretty wild.

I would have imagined red would attract them, like it does hummingbirds. But apparently flowers at the violet end of the spectrum produce more of the pollen bees need, so they're attracted to those colors. Learned something new (that I wish I had not needed to, lol).

I was looking around at the other cars (boring silver, grey, and white), none of which were covered in bees, like...

Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE Wrangler JL Club zissou

Sponsored

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Added the Rugged Ridge Arcus/skid plate, winch is next. I thought about cheating on my Hydro Blue and ordering a High Velocity 2 door.......that ship has sailed.

JeepBumper_Overrider.jpg

Jeep Bumper2.jpg

N8TVTXN

First Name
Raymona
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport; Ordered a 2023 JLUR
Arrrgh! Seeing all the pictures of ya'll's Hydro Blue rigs is making me crazy! I'm still waiting to get out of D1 status!
I'm in production!!! So excited...

N8TVTXN

First Name
Raymona
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

OH NO! I have quite the pho-bee-ia too (see what I did there?). So something to look forward to...

N8TVTXN

First Name
Raymona
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So all you Hydro Blue Rubi's... are you playing up or playing down the red dash? I'm trying to decide if I embrace it and accent in red or pretend it doesn't exist and stick with blue (seat covers, some knobs, etc.)

Sponsored

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Independent strategy advisor
So all you Hydro Blue Rubi's... are you playing up or playing down the red dash? I'm trying to decide if I embrace it and accent in red or pretend it doesn't exist and stick with blue (seat covers, some knobs, etc.)
Mine is a 4xe so it comes in gray; still plan to get the leather blue stitched trim from mopar once my war chest is replenished enough 😅

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
My Hydro Rubi (2.0T) has the gray dash.

And the only bugs it attracts are the smashed kind all over the windscreen and front end.:facepalm:

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm not a huge fan of red, so downplayed the red and went all in on the blue.

Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE Wrangler JL Club IMG_4247b.JPG

Blue seat covers, blue sunshade, blue grab handles, even dumb blue accents on the shackles. The red dash doesn't bother me enough to go through the hassle of replacing it or painting it, but I have just really de-emphasized it overall.

HydroBlue22

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU, '17 Colorado, '17 Explorer, '13 Mustang
Occupation
Retired Project Controls
I'm not a huge fan of red, so downplayed the red and went all in on the blue.

Blue seat covers, blue sunshade, blue grab handles, even dumb blue accents on the shackles. The red dash doesn't bother me enough to go through the hassle of replacing it or painting it, but I have just really de-emphasized it overall.
What seat covers are those? Looking for some and haven't really liked what I've found so far.

mrtm1970

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
40" Cooper STT PRO, 4.5" Teraflex lift, Falcon 3.5 adapt e-adjust shocks, KMC beadlock wheels, Rugged Ridge front bumper and snorkel.... and more :)
It´s in Iceland and mostly used in snow and glacier.

How are you mounting your Cowl square lights? I have been investigating how to mount any cowl lights if I go with the Rugged Ridge/ AmFib Snorkle
Sponsored