Hydro blue color change??

halsjeep

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
I went to the dealership to pick up my Hydro Blue Wrangler... drove away in a black one!
Sponsored

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The configurator has never been accurate to Hydro Blue. But that's unsurprising because the color shifts widely depending on lighting conditions. The old pic for 2021/22 was nothing like the real shade and drew a lot of confusion. I'm guessing they darkened the preview pic to make it at least a little closer to the reality.

Check out the Hydro Blue thread on here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hydro-blue-wrangler-jl-club.54302/

You'll get a better idea of what it really looks like. But even then, it's still hard to capture it in pictures. Go look at a Hydro Blue in person and you'll see just how much depth and how dynamic the color really is. (And I HIGHLY recommend it, it's absolutely gorgeous and I love mine)

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Hydro is loaded with metal flake. It changes big time based on lighting. My Hydro, same highway in Tennesee, photos taken < hour apart.
inCollage_20220405_200602185.jpg
Agreed, same with mine, and it's the one where the overall look of it changes if you have color matched top or color matched fenders. I like the contrast of black with the blue all around (including the wheels)

Jeep Wrangler JL Hydro blue color change?? Jee

Jeep_Nodoors.jpg

Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Hydro (like Tuscadero) is a Pearl Coat color that contains mica flakes instead of metal flakes. This gives it a slight prismatic effect that makes accurate color capture really difficult. As others have noted, Pearl Coat colors look very different depending on the light (Tuscadero can look anywhere from hot pink to purple).

Cameras seem to really struggle with this. Jeep graphics interns seem to struggle even more.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
The Sting Gray looks completely different. The rendering looks like Granite Crystal.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Hydro (like Tuscadero) is a Pearl Coat color that contains mica flakes instead of metal flakes. This gives it a slight prismatic effect that makes accurate color capture really difficult. As others have noted, Pearl Coat colors look very different depending on the light (Tuscadero can look anywhere from hot pink to purple).

Cameras seem to really struggle with this. Jeep graphics interns seem to struggle even more.
I have given up photographing my bikini jeep for this reason. The pictures never look even remotely correct to what the eye sees.

Footprints

First Name
Cassidy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Unlimited; waiting on delivery of '22
Jeep Wrangler JL Hydro blue color change?? C1C8511C-139B-4567-A8E9-507954844467

10 mins ago, full sun.

Hard Rock Jeep

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR HR, 2022 JLUR 2.0, 2022 JLUR Diesel

Yes ALL pearl coat Jeep paints are color shifters. This is a real plus is you like its look in all lights. I think Hydro and Tuscadero both knocked it out of the park. I can’t say that about a couple others but both of these so impressed me I bought one of each, blue for me, and Pinky (which is NOT pink) for my wife.

Sponsored

New2Jeep2022

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Sport S
The lighter rendering does not look like what hydro blue is, sorry to say. I ordered my 22 based on the website and got a much different color than I expected. If anything, it looks like they finally made the website actually represent what hydro blue is. (Check my profile pic). I also wanted the lighter one. I’ve learned to live with it

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
That light picture looks more like Bikini Blue... which I might have ordered if I could. The darker shade is closer to the Hydro Blue available now.
Sponsored