Sponsored

Hydro-assist necessary for 40s?

Frank..

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Raptor
Was planning on running 37s but finding some isn't easy right now. I've had STT Pros on order since June and still no eta. I've considered 37" Trail Grapplers as well but they are also hard to find. Might make the jump to 40s. I know it's not ideal but need something for an upcoming trip. I have the RCV shafts for up front and chromolys for the rear. Also have front truss and gussets and rear truss. Still not ideal and I know the possible consequences of running 40s on dana 44s. Anyways, now that I've got all that out of the way, if I decide to go with 40s, will I also need a hydro-assist for steering or can I get away with stock for now?

Also, if someone has a hookup on 37x12.50r17 STT Pros, DM me please.
Sponsored

Upsidwn

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I mean, in the rocks with beadlocks and 35s the stock box barely gets by IMO. I’m def looking to go hydro assist before any more real wheeling and especially before I’d consider 37s or bigger.

The apex kit is nice, gives you more power, but doesn’t address snapping sector shafts off. You should be looking to take stress off of your box not putting more to it. I’ve spent the better part of a weekend getting a rig with a snapped sector shaft out of the trails before, I don’t wanna do that again haha

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I must have a rare box or something, im on 40s and at 12 psi i have had zero issues turning the wheels offroading. Id start with the apex booster though hefore full blown hydro assist. Maybe im just used to the struggle 🤷‍♂️ I havent noticed any difference than when i was on 35s

Sponsored

OP
OP
Frank..

Frank..

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Raptor
I mean, in the rocks with beadlocks and 35s the stock box barely gets by IMO. I’m def looking to go hydro assist before any more real wheeling and especially before I’d consider 37s or bigger.

The apex kit is nice, gives you more power, but doesn’t address snapping sector shafts off. You should be looking to take stress off of your box not putting more to it. I’ve spent the better part of a weekend getting a rig with a snapped sector shaft out of the trails before, I don’t wanna do that again haha
Thanks for the reply. Would the apex kit with the Yeti sector shaft brace be a good fit for eachother?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Big_Lebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2016 JKUR Rock Crawler
Occupation
I glow in the dark!
IMO yes. I felt like I needed it on 37s with my JKU, so added it. Now on 40s with that Jeep. I used the Red Neck Ram from West Texas Offroad. Works great.

Sponsored

JustaJL

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2.0t
Occupation
Owner, Driveline Tech and Fabrication
Look at BFG KM3 39x13.5x17. They are 37 1/4" tall, drive nice and look badass. Stock steering and have no problem steering this tire. I have done a a bit of crawling through some rocks and so far so good. I see the Apex kit, drilling and tapping the stock box, adding hydro assist in my future.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hydro-assist necessary for 40s? IMG_0928

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I run the 39 KM3's, yeah yeah they're not 39 but neither are the DOT 40's 40. I think they're a great middle ground, noticeably bigger than the Milestar 38's and the traction on the rocks is amazing. I took my rig thru the rubicon and I only needed my lockers a handful of times, less than 5. My opinion they're perfect for the JL.

I’ll be adding the Apex boost sometime in the next couple of weeks, sitting in the garage now

If I go to 40's it's for the looks, not the performance.

1100E4B7-0216-4E22-B417-9976C141582C.jpeg

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate

The apex kit is nice, gives you more power, but doesn’t address snapping sector shafts off. You should be looking to take stress off of your box not putting more to it.
I’ve spent the better part of a weekend getting a rig with a snapped sector shaft out of the trails before, I don’t wanna do that again haha
Was that a JK with a snapped sector shaft? I've read it's a much more common problem on the JK that a JL.

Look at BFG KM3 39x13.5x17. They are 37 1/4" tall, drive nice and look badass. Stock steering and have no problem steering this tire. I have done a a bit of crawling through some rocks and so far so good. I see the Apex kit, drilling and tapping the stock box, adding hydro assist in my future.
Did you ever upgrade steering?

I must have a rare box or something, im on 40s and at 12 psi i have had zero issues turning the wheels offroading. Id start with the apex booster though hefore full blown hydro assist. Maybe im just used to the struggle 🤷‍♂️ I havent noticed any difference than when i was on 35s
Won't cranking on the steering like an old time rig without power steering risk breaking the sector shaft or another steering component? Just made the jump to 37X12.50R17LT KM3s and now I'm worried I'll break a sector shaft deep off road.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Was that a JK with a snapped sector shaft? I've read it's a much more common problem on the JK that a JL.

Won't cranking on the steering like an old time rig without power steering risk breaking the sector shaft or another steering component? Just made the jump to 37X12.50R17LT KM3s and now I'm worried I'll break a sector shaft deep off road.
I feel this is a bit like asking "can I run 40's on Dana 44's?" The answer is "it depends." Like axle shaft failure a sector shaft is most likely to fail from fatigue. Meaning if you don't thrash it you can get away with it for a long time and possibly never have a failure. So if you keep the offset as close to stock as possible, don't turn on hard surfaces with the front locker engaged and you turn when moving (even if this means making short front/back moves while turning) you'll be fine without hydro assist. If you drive fast in rocks and the tires take a lot of hits then you will eventually break the shaft.

However, hydro assist on the trail is a wonderful thing. Effortless turning. Shift the whole front end away from that rock? No problem. Game changer. On the street it's like the biggest steering damper ever. Completely eliminates death wobble. The only downside is driving fast through the trees the steering can't keep up sometimes which means you flat out have to slow down, there is no "if I turn harder it turns faster" effect.

JustaJL

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2.0t
Occupation
Owner, Driveline Tech and Fabrication

I have not upgraded the steering yet. I do see it in my future though. I am going to start with the Apex, then drill and tap the box and install a ram and see how that goes.
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E