WashingtonWetWheeler

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' 6spd JLUR. UD60s & 40s
Hey guys,
I'm seeing a lot of threads with folks who ponied up the 3k for PSC's kit having issues with it revolving around noise from the system and cheaper components. Wondering if anyone has any recent experience from them that can speak to whether or not they've ironed things out? Also wondering if West Texas Offroad has themselves as kit for the JL at this point?
Sponsored

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Reactions: J0E
OP
OP
WashingtonWetWheeler

WashingtonWetWheeler

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
i installed my psc (ported big bore box without hydro assist) back in december and happy with it so far drives better than stock (replaced aluminum steering box). No real issues with noise i can hear it every once and a while turning at idle but nothing more than what i have heard with past jeeps/trucks of mine with large gripy tires and large steering boxes. The cooler is really the only cheap part just a generic cooler that you can get in the local parts store, which really is all you need and easy to get replacement if something happens. The biggest grip that I have read with the psc kits is the hydro assist and turning the wheel at idle where the pump isnt spinning fast enough to push ram and it is plan catch up and fighting with the steering wheel.

The big things for the PSC kit that pushed me to go for it is because it is belt driven pump, there was many times on the trails that my tires were wedged between rocks, and with the electric pump it never seemed to want to send the added pressure needed to turn the wheels, with a belt pump in the past i could just put it in neutral and rev the engine and turn the wheels freely.

the apex kit looks nice, but wonder how well the stock parts can handle the added pressure over time, im sure it will be fine but that is a sizable pressure increase. The bigger issue i see with that cooler placement at least on the northridge install video, but is buried behind the bumper and lower skid its not going to see any air flow. but this would be nice to go along with a red neck ram

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
i installed my psc (ported big bore box without hydro assist) back in december and happy with it so far drives better than stock (replaced aluminum steering box). No real issues with noise i can hear it every once and a while turning at idle but nothing more than what i have heard with past jeeps/trucks of mine with large gripy tires and large steering boxes. The cooler is really the only cheap part just a generic cooler that you can get in the local parts store, which really is all you need and easy to get replacement if something happens. The biggest grip that I have read with the psc kits is the hydro assist and turning the wheel at idle where the pump isnt spinning fast enough to push ram and it is plan catch up and fighting with the steering wheel.

The big things for the PSC kit that pushed me to go for it is because it is belt driven pump, there was many times on the trails that my tires were wedged between rocks, and with the electric pump it never seemed to want to send the added pressure needed to turn the wheels, with a belt pump in the past i could just put it in neutral and rev the engine and turn the wheels freely.

the apex kit looks nice, but wonder how well the stock parts can handle the added pressure over time, im sure it will be fine but that is a sizable pressure increase. The bigger issue i see with that cooler placement at least on the northridge install video, but is buried behind the bumper and lower skid its not going to see any air flow. but this would be nice to go along with a red neck ram
Would you have any numbers by any chance? Like the stock hydraulic pressure vs the PSC increased pressure?

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
Are you running this with stock pump?
Yes , stock pump in the 3.0 diesel . 6-10 psi in my 40” tires on heavy Dana 60 /14 bolt Axles . Zero issues turning locked arbs . The best part is I still have pump speed control . Easy turning in the parking lot without and firms up on the highway.

OP
OP
WashingtonWetWheeler

WashingtonWetWheeler

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes , stock pump in the 3.0 diesel . 6-10 psi in my 40” tires on heavy Dana 60 /14 bolt Axles . Zero issues turning locked arbs . The best part is I still have pump speed control . Easy turning in the parking lot without and firms up on the highway.
Very interesting, I wonder if there is a difference in the diesel pump? Where did you source your tapped gear box? What did that run you?

Sponsored

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
Are you running this with stock pump?
Very interesting, I wonder if there is a difference in the diesel pump? Where did you source your tapped gear box? What did that run you?
11.00 for the tap I used on my JK and Toyota . I’ve had that since 1998 so I didn’t factor that . The pentosin 11S was 50.00 for 5 liters , 2 were added in the swap . My level stays dead on max when cold and rises maybe 3/4 after hours of rubicon trail .
Jeep Wrangler JL Hydro assist from PSC still an issue? F8B17980-0DE6-4035-BC51-1F8ED997F3F5

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Damn... you should write a tutorial on how you did this!! Thanks!

Carlo559

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I just had PSC Adventure series installed on my 2020 JT Rubicon. It is the one without the hydro assist but is hydro assist capable down the road. I have no issues with dead spots whats so ever. Drives better than stalk. Occasionally when cold the steering might be a little choppy at 5mph or slower. So far my biggest gripe is as soon as I touch full lock while turning or reversing into a parking spot I get a loud whine. I noticed this same whine when turning at full lock into a U turn. My guy who installed installed it says it’s completely normal, so I’ll just have to get used to it. Kinda sux cause we spend 60k on a vehicle and 3k on this upgrade just to have a bothersome noise. But hey it is supposed to perform so I am very happy with it overall and I just hope it stands the test of time

jl_explorer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon

Have you heard what the fix is for that grip you mentioned ? At idle or when my brake is full pressed down (could just be the idle issue since I’m at idle with the brake fully depressed), I love all power steering. Absolutely annoying especially when my wife drives. Happens during u-turns and pull in and out of parking spots.
Sponsored