Sponsored

Hydro assist for the JL is here!

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
Sorry for the late reply, but that's the problem with the new electric assist in the JL....it doesn't actually do anything from what I can tell. It doesn't perform any better in the rocks than a traditional, non-assisted hydro power steering set up. When you're locked and need to change lines when bound up....it's completely unresponsive. I'm not sure why Jeep decided to add the extra complexity of the electronic assist in the first place. I'm betting that's why PSC just ditched the electronics and the aluminum box altogether when going to the ram assist.

I believe FCA went electric is for CAFE Standards.... One less belt for the motor to turn. Many MFG's have gone this route in the last few years.

Some software Genius will find a solution.... The problem is the wait.
Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
No...nothing's wrong with it. It behaves as any factory power steering system does with a front locker, rocks and 37s aired down to single digits.
I've had mine down to 12 lbs several times and the steering is just as easy as it is normally on mine.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Obstacle? I'm saying when aired down and offroad it doesn't seem any more difficult to steer than normal. I'm not saying that it's impossible to block it just that it hasn't happened to me yet in the JL. Maybe I just know what I'm doing though... :)

Kentpickle

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler JLU Rubicon
Obstacle? I'm saying when aired down and offroad it doesn't seem any more difficult to steer than normal. I'm not saying that it's impossible to block it just that it hasn't happened to me yet in the JL. Maybe I just know what I'm doing though... :)
I've had the same problem with mine getting bound up and having to reverse just to get it to where i could turn the wheel.

Gogged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
anyone heard if the Redneck Ram is working out with the JL?

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
It’s doing great but you will still not be able to do high speed runs in drift. The wheel will fight you if you have any quick maneuvers to do. This is for street and rock really. I got into some ice drifting and found out that slower is faster. The pump I don’t think can keep up with the wheel speed. It’s a tradeoff I guess but one I’m willing to deal with. I will make a update video showing the pros and cons I have found with the hydro assist.

Please make an update video. I am looking to upgrade the steering on my JLUR. I would like to know your opinion on how the Red neck Ram system has performed over the long haul.

2019 JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have had the Redneck Ram on for 5000 miles. Put it on when I had about 20 miles on the Jeep. I have 37's and it has been working both on-road and off-road flawlessly.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Bumping this post up to see what the Redneck Ram adopters have experienced over the long run. I'm running my JL with 40's and definitely feel the need for more turning power off-road. - Thanks!

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
Bumping this post up to see what the Redneck Ram adopters have experienced over the long run. I'm running my JL with 40's and definitely feel the need for more turning power off-road. - Thanks!
And how quickly it will turn. I’ve heard that they are a bit slow.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
And how quickly it will turn. I’ve heard that they are a bit slow.
@Rploaded can probably better comment on this, but his JL is much better to drive on/offroad than my JT with a very similar setup(minus the hydro.) About the only time I prefer the stock setup is quick transitions left to right at parking lot speeds, and coming out of sharp turns quickly requires some assistance in returning to center.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My experience with the Redneck ram has been fantastic. Just today I learned while communicating with vendors regarding some desired changes that I am able to go in via the tazer and turn off the Electronic power steering.

I had figured that was for people wanting to disable it during removal if they convert to a hydraulic pump. Reality is, it sets the steering pump to 100% which means perfect steering. Highway driving does take a bit of relearning as it has no slower setting anymore. It also really knocked out my dead zone which surprised me.

End result: one finger Jeep driving.

Last edited:

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
Hi...just catching up to this thread.

What do you mean by "go in via the tazer"?
Sponsored