Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I loved this mod on my JK's, the one negative was the slow speed left/right transition at idle(blipping the throttle made it easier). It sounds like the JL has fixed that issue with the electronic PS pump?

I purchased it mainly to help steering offroad with my 37's, but the greatest benefit I found was on the highway it made the JK so much easier to drive straight in heavy winds or crappy roads.

Awesome videos BTW, my wife and I love them!

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
this is an interesting thread. note that they also modified their jeep with axles and some heavier track bars or whatever, including bar (not sure of all the different parts) that inverts the ball joint. i wounder if all the things they did ended up fixing the wandering, drifting and hanging of the steering box. note also that PSC is about to come out with a replacement steering box that completely removes the aluminum units. perhaps the aftermarket can positively fix the front end issues with this vehicle.. now someone(s) needs to address the electrical issues.

2008jk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU
Would you need a top mount draglink for this to work correctly?

Last edited:

2008jk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU
Looks like you have a raised track bar mount. Just saw this in the death wobble video, who makes this?

Last edited:

Sponsored

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
How is it compared to to the new stock steering on the jl? It was always a mod I wanted to do on the jk. I'm still on stock tires and suspension and just got my jl so no experience with it offroad yet.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
How is it compared to to the new stock steering on the jl? It was always a mod I wanted to do on the jk. I'm still on stock tires and suspension and just got my jl so no experience with it offroad yet.
Steering on my JL and many others is downright scary. White knuckle shit. I'm looking into this to fix it and make my JL at least driveable.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
Steering on my JL and many others is downright scary. White knuckle shit. I'm looking into this to fix it and make my JL at least driveable.
I've not had too much issue with the jl steering. I was asking because jl steering feels a bit like some of the hydro kits if driven in the past.

I know some have had issues with steering but once I let out the extra 10lbs of pressure in my tires from the factory it got a lot better. The wheel could be a little firmer but that's just my personal preference.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
From wheeling brand new stock to getting into big boy territory you guys make the journey so much fun to watch.

Thanks for the ideas and fun. :like:

If I'm honest I've had no troubles with my steering from day one and hydro assist will not be on my list unless I swap axles and mount them on a stretched long arm coilover system to run the Hammers.

Not happening. :cwl:

Wightmn

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Hydro assist makes turning your wheels a breeze on the trail but it removes all road feel from the steering wheel.
You more guide the jeep than steer it.

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Kevin mentioned in their video that their original steering felt like he had to correct constantly and that their tires wouldnt move when they were aired down and not moving. Thats one thing I've been extremely happy with myJL (aside from the cold weather loss of power steering). My Jeep never wanders. With 37's I can go hands off for about a half mile before it drifts far enough to the outside to go hands on. It also seems to have plenty of power to move my 37's even when aired down to 12psi. Never had it so that I couldnt move the wheel unlike my old JK.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Kevin mentioned in their video that their original steering felt like he had to correct constantly and that their tires wouldnt move when they were aired down and not moving. Thats one thing I've been extremely happy with myJL (aside from the cold weather loss of power steering). My Jeep never wanders. With 37's I can go hands off for about a half mile before it drifts far enough to the outside to go hands on. It also seems to have plenty of power to move my 37's even when aired down to 12psi. Never had it so that I couldnt move the wheel unlike my old JK.
I agree. Other than being stuck against a rock the JL has no problem handing my 40's even at 8psi offroad. My JK's would struggle with 37's at lower pressures without the hydraulic assist.

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I loved this mod on my JK's, the one negative was the slow speed left/right transition at idle(blipping the throttle made it easier). It sounds like the JL has fixed that issue with the electronic PS pump?

I purchased it mainly to help steering offroad with my 37's, but the greatest benefit I found was on the highway it made the JK so much easier to drive straight in heavy winds or crappy roads.

Awesome videos BTW, my wife and I love them!
You are correct, electric steering fixed that issue. Thank you for your support!!

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
this is an interesting thread. note that they also modified their jeep with axles and some heavier track bars or whatever, including bar (not sure of all the different parts) that inverts the ball joint. i wounder if all the things they did ended up fixing the wandering, drifting and hanging of the steering box. note also that PSC is about to come out with a replacement steering box that completely removes the aluminum units. perhaps the aftermarket can positively fix the front end issues with this vehicle.. now someone(s) needs to address the electrical issues.
Yes this fixed all those issues. You can have a 30mph side wind and stay in your lane without even knowing it’s windy. This kit will be about 699 the psc kit I bet will be over 2k but it will get rid of the aluminum box which is quite thick and strong but it also gets rid of the electric steering which is working really well so far.
Sponsored