Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

According to Jeep brand boss, Mike Manley, hybrid powertrains are being considered for future Wranglers due to the strong initial torque and crawl ratios.

He also noted that the 3 priorities for the JL Wrangler were:

1. Preserving the look
2. On road dynamics
3. Better fuel efficiency

Jeep boss says all-new 2017 Wrangler off-roader could feature hybrid powertrain

Jeep has admitted that it is considering hybrid technology as it prepares an all-new Wrangler for 2017.

The US off-road brand faces a similar task to Land Rover, which is readying a new Defender, in that it has to update its most famous model without threatening its iconic status.

Jeep boss Mike Manley told Auto Express that preserving the look, improving the on-road dynamics and achieving better fuel efficiency were his three priorities for the new version of the off-road legend.

“You have the potential for hybrid powertrains in the future,” he admitted. “For those people who use the Wrangler, the most important thing is the initial torque and the crawl ratio.

“With an electric motor you have the most torque available and with the right combination of transmission and gear ratios you can create incredible crawl ratios.”

But the eco tech wouldn’t be without its problems if Jeep does go down that route. Continued Manley: “Where you have to be careful with the Wrangler is range.

“If you are eight hours and four miles into a trail, there is not a hybrid that we could do which could provide the battery support.

“The way that combination is calibrated would be more unique for a Wrangler than it would, for example, a Grand Cherokee.”

car_photo_210101.jpg

Other solutions being considered for the new Wrangler are diesel power for US models, lighter materials and aerodynamic upgrades. Confirmed Manley: “The use of aluminium and high-strength steel is huge for us. There is opportunity for carbon fibre as well.

“You will see more advanced technologies used than on the current vehicle, as it needs to be more capable than the previous one.

“And from styling point of view we have to be very careful – if we styled a Wrangler that didn’t look like a Wrangler, I would have to have eight security guards!”

Despite being able to trace its origins back to the military Jeep of the second world war, 213g/km emissions from its 2.8-litre engine and poor fuel economy, the Wrangler has never been more popular.

Sales have risen from 140,000 in 2009 to 246,000 in 2014 and Manley knows there is massive interest in what he has planned next. And he admits it is not guaranteed that he will follow Land Rover’s route of testing its ideas out for the Defender with concepts.

“You may see concepts before then to shift perception, or we may do it a different way,” he said.

“We are a social brand. I already have a community of 2,000 advocates that I use regularly to get feedback - whether it’s a name or a feature or a function. It’s proven to be relatively reliable.”

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jeep/wrangler/90046/new-jeep-wrangler-could-get-hybrid-tech
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Excuse me everyone. I need to work on my "Jeep Hardtop solar panel recharging kit" 3rd party product for this hybrid's battery, having already finished the promotional copy:

"Long day on the trail with your hybrid, far from electric recharging...? Just find yourself a clearing for your Wrangler, do some hiking for a few hours, and come back to a recharged rig!"

"Wrangler: turning its back on civilization since the 1940's"

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Save your Bitcoin money and invest in bigger batteries, or more powerful and fuel efficient small engines, or a JL turn signal relocation kit.

Even at an insane unheard of 40% efficiency for non-transparent solar panel JL roof, your 4hr hike would only net you about 2.5 mile range on pavement, let alone trail range which would likely be closer to a mile.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/panel-hardtop-theory.1307/page-4#post-9024

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I hear ya Ape. I should have made it clearer that I was being tongue-in-cheek. ;)
Sponsored