J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Explorer
TLDW version:

20 mpg @ 70 MPH / 61F degree outside temperature
360 miles on single tank of gas

Keep in mind this is a preproduction TRD Pro he's testing.

Sponsored

JWestie

First Name
Rand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma OR
19.6 MPG under ambient conditions at 70 MPH. Not too unexpected given the underperformance of the Tundra-hybrid (in terms of MPG; not torque). Could probably squeeze better MPG if you "hypermile" it like a Prius, LOL.

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma Limited
Really starting to question myself, do I really want a hybrid? I want the power and to eliminate any turbo lag? But……

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma Limited
Great point!
We do tow our camper about 6 times a year, probably less the 2,000 miles per year. Definitely do not NEED the extreme power of the Hybrid, but why not if you can afford it AND in your Golden years and probably will not have the opportunity to do it again!!

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, German Money Pit, Rusty Toyota
Something tells me that normal round-town type driving, commuting, etc the additional cost over a non-hybrid (and increased complexity, weight, etc) doesn't really make a difference and the standard turbo-4 is more than adequate.

Where it likely will make a difference is doing truck stuff like:

- Towing a trailer, especially in hilly terrain
- off road with instant torque at low speed from the electric side to get over obstacles
- hauling heavy loads in the bed

Although I'd prefer a simple non-forced induction motor like the older V6's and less complexity in the vehicle, hell, any vehicle like my first gen Taco or 2G 4Runner.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent
For those with experience on "turbo lag" (or lack there off), what about from a complete stop? That is where I notice it the most with our Subaru Ascent. Given that also has a CVT so it has multiple things working against it. It is VERY frustrating to be trying to merge into traffic, put the pedal to the floor, and then have to wait a full second to get much power.

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
That wasn’t my experience when I test drove the truck. Full torque at 1700 rpm. The GMC I test drove had turbo lag. Full torque at 3200 rpm.
Sponsored