Husband & Wife JL Build(s)

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
How do their side steps mount? I really love them, but don't want a set that can't take a decent rock hit? At they thick steel? Do they mount to the frame or only to the pinch welds? I've just seen too many side steps that aren't very strong (but look good) actually do MORE damage to the body than if you had no run any steps, as they buckle and go right into the rocker panel.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
How do their side steps mount? I really love them, but don't want a set that can't take a decent rock hit? At they thick steel? Do they mount to the frame or only to the pinch welds? I've just seen too many side steps that aren't very strong (but look good) actually do MORE damage to the body than if you had no run any steps, as they buckle and go right into the rocker panel.
They mount just like the factory Rubicon rails(6 bolts/nuts to the pinch weld, and 3 bolts under the tub.)
I don't know that I would use this variation as a dedicated Rock Rail. I think they will hold up to minor abuse, but anything that will damage the Rubicon rails will probably damage these. I'm not one to purposely sit/turn on a rock, but my rock rails have saved my body on several occasions on my JK's. I've run mostly body mount rock sliders, and they never did damage to my body when hitting rocks.... But maybe I'm just not trying hard enough lol. Those did include more mounting points, so maybe that's why they held up so well.
I hit them enough that I don't really want a weld on set since it makes touch ups a little more difficult. I like the ability to take them off, grind out the rash and respray them after a rough trip.

I am getting a production set in the near future and can measure the thickness of the steel(Not sure if the set my wife has are the same, as they are pre-production.)

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Im not looking for a weld on, but do prefer ones that have DOM tubing as their skeletal structure and mount to the frame vs the body mounts or the pinch seam. While I also am not a super hardcore wheeler, I have slipped off wet rocks that slammed the full weight of the rig onto a single point, so sometimes, it's not even about trying, but accidents do happen. I do really love their design though, it's nice to see a company put out some really unique stuff.

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I get what your saying. Accidents are why I usually prefer to run dedicated rock rails to steps, but with 4 kids now steps are a necessity for day/day life(Especially for my wife, I can still lift all the kids into the Jeep.)
On this trip out with my JK I'm sure I would have bent the factory rails.... This was in 2012, so I don't recall if the rock slipped/broke while I was crawling up the hill but it caused the full weight of my Jeep to slam down on the rails(In the second picture you can see the white on the rails where it made contact.) I was certain when I got out of the Jeep that I damaged the tub, but just some bed lining from the sliders missing and some scuffs from the rocks on the DOM tubing.
When I got home I also switched out the bushwhacker flares for a narrower set. The rears on those fenders mount above body line and crawling up a muddy hill I slid and lightly kissed a dirt wall that pushed the sheet metal body of my Jeep in a good 1-2"(Only nicked the stupid plastic flares.) Ever since then I will not run flares that are as wide or wider than my tires even if they are supposed to hold the weight of the Jeep.
Things we learn from out accidents... :beer:

DSC_0007-1.jpg
DSC_0009-1.jpg

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Thanks!
If you pull off the passenger side footwell panel(Where the door strap/wires go) there are a few ground posts there. As for the power I just stuck a coat hanger through the rubber grommet where all the other wires go through and then pulled the wire through with it and then went to the battery. Here is a picture of when I wired the trigger wire for my wifes ROAM steps, but same idea. Second picture is from the outside looking up. You can easily push the fender liner out a little and see all the way up there with a light.

18-0.jpg
18.jpg
Thanks for the input!

Sponsored

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Wife got me an early birthday present. I felt guilty it was so expensive(for what it is)I purchased her a gift as well. :party:
Factor55 Ultrahook on mine, and Factor55 Flatlink on hers.
UltraHook.jpg
20180717_210403_resized_1.jpg

Gogged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hey Chris, do you mind if I ask how tall your jeep is with the top on? Wondering if mine will fit in the garage w the same lift and tires.. Thanks!

Gogged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hey Chris, do you mind if I ask how tall your jeep is with the top on? Wondering if mine will fit in the garage w the same lift and tires.. Thanks!
Nevermind, saw your other thread that put it at 80". Thanks!

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't made much progress in the past few weeks. My wife received some recovery points for her @ROAM front bumper, and a set of ROAM short arms to re-center the axles in the wheel well and properly align the Jeep.

I sold my KMC Wheels & Coopers in favor of a set of Maxxis 40x13.50r17 tires and no wheels at the moment....

recovery.jpg
shortarm.jpg
tires1.jpg

arcticaaron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’m surprised your wife didn’t take your 37s and put them on her rig. I bet she was tempted!

Sponsored

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I’m surprised your wife didn’t take your 37s and put them on her rig. I bet she was tempted!
I was a little worried about the axle strength as she relies on her JL more than I do. She will eventually get my axles if I don't destroy them with the 40's :fingerscrossed: When that time comes we will sell her wheel/tire combo and get a set of 37's and possibly beadlocks as long as she promises to be the one to torque them occasionally.

Her Jeep is actually more fun to drive than mine was with the 37's/beadlocks. Even with her stock gear ratio it just felt more "lively" due to what I'm guessing is difference in the rotating mass(I believe my wheels/tires were 40+lbs heavier a corner than hers.)

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
Haven't made much progress in the past few weeks. My wife received some recovery points for her @ROAM front bumper, and a set of ROAM short arms to re-center the axles in the wheel well and properly align the Jeep.

I sold my KMC Wheels & Coopers in favor of a set of Maxxis 40x13.50r17 tires and no wheels at the moment....

recovery.jpg
shortarm.jpg
tires1.jpg
Dude, your wife's Jeep is looking tough as hell! Looks awesome! Digging the red, and I don't always dig red on Sports.

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't updated this in a while.
Mounted my Maxxis 40s on a used set of Trail Gear creeper locks. If you haven't seen these beadlocks the segmented beadlock ring is nice. I've had these on a past JK, and rather than replacing a whole ring due to damage you can replace just the segment that is damaged.

My wife claimed these for her JL once the set I really want come off backorder.

I ordered a set of Dana 5.13 gears, and Dana diff covers that should be here by the end of the upcoming week.

40s-2.jpg
40s-4.jpg
40s-3.jpg
IMG_20180826_140231_504.jpg

Yesterday on my wife's Sport we installed a set of adjustable JKS quick disconnects, and i installed a @ROAM transfer case skid plate
20180908_135552_resized.jpg
20180908_133215_resized.jpg
20180901_100210_resized.jpg