Sponsored

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Are those steps strong enough to support of the weight of the vehicle? As in real rock rails. I couldn’t tell from their website.

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Are those steps strong enough to support of the weight of the vehicle? As in real rock rails. I couldn’t tell from their website.
I have their pre-production version. Once I get a production set I will see how they differ. From what I've seen of the brackets they look beefier and offer better ground clearance.

Rubicon21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Great Post - Love both of the Jeeps

Quick Question - I am going to install my rough country 2.5 inch lift kit on my Rubicon this week & put on my 37x12.5x17 tires on a 17 x 8.5 wheel
Will I have the same issue as you did with the bump stops?

Sponsored

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Great Post - Love both of the Jeeps

Quick Question - I am going to install my rough country 2.5 inch lift kit on my Rubicon this week & put on my 37x12.5x17 tires on a 17 x 8.5 wheel
Will I have the same issue as you did with the bump stops?
I think it will depend on the offset/backspace of the wheel. My tires wouldn't tuck into the fenders, but rather hit the fender lip(-38 Offset and 13.50" tires doesn't help my situation.) I think if they were able to tuck inside the fenders you could get away with the 2" bumpstops.

4x4DETOUR

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'85 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR - Ocean Blue (picked up 4/17/18!)
Wired my wife's ROAM step lighting

20180506_160553_resized.jpg
Looks great. I put the ROAM side steps on last night on our Rubi. Do you have any quick tips for the wiring? Rough material list? Wire routing tips?

Thanks brother, both Jeeps look awesome.

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great. I put the ROAM side steps on last night on our Rubi. Do you have any quick tips for the wiring? Rough material list? Wire routing tips?

Thanks brother, both Jeeps look awesome.
Thanks!
I haven't been to the shop since I installed the lights(Easier for me to edit/organize the pictures on my laptop than my phone.)

I initially ordered a $10 LED light harness off Amazon that came with a relay and a long enough harness to tie into the passenger side step. I had to extend the second lead so that it would make it to the driver side.
It is very easy to pull the wires from the battery to the passenger step, just pull the fender liner back a little from the bottom and look up with a flashlight(you can see almost all the way up to the battery.) I terminated the wires in the middle of the passenger step and ran them through the cross member to the other side. To get into the body with the trigger wire I just stuck a coat hanger through the big rubber grommet that houses all the other wires that come into the body and pulled the trigger wire back through(also visible if you pull the fender liner back or if you look inside the passenger foot well)

I can tell you however that a standard mechanical relay will not work with the interior lights as a "trigger" due to how they illuminate when they come on and dim when they switch off. It causes the Relay to "chatter" for a second or two turning on/off while it trys to maintain the proper voltage. I pulled the panel on the passenger side floor board looking for a constant 12v with the doors open but there are way too many wires for me to prod around with a test light.
I ordered a non mechanical relay to test out, but it won't be here for a few days.

4x4DETOUR

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks!
I haven't been to the shop since I installed the lights(Easier for me to edit/organize the pictures on my laptop than my phone.)

I initially ordered a $10 LED light harness off Amazon that came with a relay and a long enough harness to tie into the passenger side step. I had to extend the second lead so that it would make it to the driver side.
It is very easy to pull the wires from the battery to the passenger step, just pull the fender liner back a little from the bottom and look up with a flashlight(you can see almost all the way up to the battery.) I terminated the wires in the middle of the passenger step and ran them through the cross member to the other side. To get into the body with the trigger wire I just stuck a coat hanger through the big rubber grommet that houses all the other wires that come into the body and pulled the trigger wire back through(also visible if you pull the fender liner back or if you look inside the passenger foot well)

I can tell you however that a standard mechanical relay will not work with the interior lights as a "trigger" due to how they illuminate when they come on and dim when they switch off. It causes the Relay to "chatter" for a second or two turning on/off while it trys to maintain the proper voltage. I pulled the panel on the passenger side floor board looking for a constant 12v with the doors open but there are way too many wires for me to prod around with a test light.
I ordered a non mechanical relay to test out, but it won't be here for a few days.
Thanks this helps a lot. Let me know if the non mechanical relay works better!

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks this helps a lot. Let me know if the non mechanical relay works better!
Solid state relay came in this evening and works great! No more flickering of the lights and the relay chattering under the hood.
I will post some pictures of the rest of the install tomorrow.
20180511_001833_resized.jpg

My wife insisted I use the Darth Maul theme song ;)

Sponsored

4x4DETOUR

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Solid state relay came in this evening and works great! No more flickering of the lights and the relay chattering under the hood.

Thanks man. Hoping to order everything and wire these lights up for the wife. I'll never hear the end of it, if I don't!

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Picked up this "little" guy today. Wanted to be able to air up our tires and run some air tools if necessary. Planned on mounting it where the factory muffler used to be, but I would need to relocate the air filters.

20180503_123315_resized.jpg
What does that thing cost I like to get one of those when I get myJL ?

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR, 2019 Ram Rebel Crew, 2019 HD FLTRXS, 2018 HD FLFBS ANV

Great work on both jeeps Chris. I was originally waiting for the new LOD destroyers for mine but after you initially posted the pics of the roams, I had Anthony notify me when they came in. Just installed them a couple of days ago and they are rock solid and really well built. Can you lift your jeep with a forklift using them like the destoyers, I don't know, but they are really nice steps for less than half the LOD price.
Anyway, I haven't wired the lights yet, so I'm also waiting on your pics and any other helpful hints you have. Did you solder all the ends together or use quick connects? What wire did you use between all the ends and the battery? I apologize for the stupid questions, but I've never done anything with wire strands this small. Thanks for your help. (Again)
Sponsored