Hunting out of JLU

kansasboy91

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
Hey, with my JLUR XR on order and I’m getting ready to get rid of my 2018 F150 I was thinking about what I’ll do when I go deer hunting and bag one. I thought about one of those receiver hitch basket things and then just trapping it. What does everyone else do? I’m not worried about when I get a Turkey and “smaller” game.

many thoughts would be appreciated, thank you!
Sponsored

Wkywhitealtitude

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator, Jeep Wrangler JLU
I had a trailer for my 4 wheeler and for deer when I had my jku

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Pennsylvania being a big deer hunting state, I've seen my share of harvested bucks lashed on to receiver hitch cargo carriers, on any number of vehicles. That'd be the go-to solution for my JLU.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hunting out of JLU Harvested buck

The realities of field dressing make cargo carriers an attractive choice.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hunting out of JLU Harvested buck 2

areuriding

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon XR
I use a hitch carrier, that being said I try hard not to upset people. I put the deer on it with the belly facing the tailgate and I also cover it as best I can and strap it down. It works perfectly, people still know it's a deer but it cleaner looking if that makes sense. The Hitch carrier also come in very handy when camping because I'm able to strap 2 large coolers on it leaving room inside for other stuff.

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
I use the extension hitch that others have suggested (harbor freight has a cheap, light aluminum one)I don’t care what people see, but I grew up in a time when people strapped a deer to the top of their station wagon. During bird season my dog takes up the cargo compartment in the rear so I use a Thule for cargo space.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Small trailer should not be too expensive for game. Or just have your buddy with a Ram drive.

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Only issue I can see with the hitch rack is when you have a deer on it, you probably can’t open your tail gate but that might not be an issue.

This is why I hunt with my CJ7. Deer goes inside the back and I just hose it out when I unload it.

Deleted member 59498

Some tenderloins would be good on BBQ this weekend!

Just throwing that in there.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I decided against the cargo basket idea, because I would most likely just get it hung up somewhere. I'm planning to go hunting in some pretty rough country, and I'm just going to take a tarp, throw the deer in the back, and I should be fine. I have a cargo liner as an extra layer of protection, and the tarp should work. If it leaks, I'll deal with it.

If this plan fails, Plan B is to just strap the sucker to my front bumper.

I'm looking forward to hunting some totally different country this year. The Jeep has granted me access to all kinds of new places, and while a huge amount of the land is posted, I have the elite subscription to OnyX so I can see who owns what. There are some chunks of public land here and there that look posted, and I'm hoping other guys won't be aware of this.

Sponsored

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
You can always put a tarp on your cargo basket first…..then lower the deer onto it. Cover the remaining deer and drive him to the butchers.
the back up CAM let’s you keep an eye on him…..or admire him while driving.

4482389B-E8E2-4471-A209-9E39E765E839.jpeg

CB783EDC-F7B1-4FD6-92B7-F538E99AD218.jpeg

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, with my JLUR XR on order and I’m getting ready to get rid of my 2018 F150 I was thinking about what I’ll do when I go deer hunting and bag one. I thought about one of those receiver hitch basket things and then just trapping it. What does everyone else do? I’m not worried about when I get a Turkey and “smaller” game.

many thoughts would be appreciated, thank you!
I use rear mounted basket for game hauling that folds up. I transfer it to receiver on back of trailer with on road to camp.

2A400747-EF2B-499F-8A2A-37584104394B.jpeg

8E40EC2E-E977-4636-8DC3-5EEB746B9BE7.jpeg

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
I decided against the cargo basket idea, because I would most likely just get it hung up somewhere. I'm planning to go hunting in some pretty rough country, and I'm just going to take a tarp, throw the deer in the back, and I should be fine. I have a cargo liner as an extra layer of protection, and the tarp should work. If it leaks, I'll deal with it.

If this plan fails, Plan B is to just strap the sucker to my front bumper.

I'm looking forward to hunting some totally different country this year. The Jeep has granted me access to all kinds of new places, and while a huge amount of the land is posted, I have the elite subscription to OnyX so I can see who owns what. There are some chunks of public land here and there that look posted, and I'm hoping other guys won't be aware of this.
Blood from the deer WILL soak through the tarp and you’ll wind up having your carpets cleaned while you clean up the blood on the floor. A cargo basket is the best option for transporting harvested deer.
look around and get one that has a “Rise” from the Hitch. 1st they look better….2nd they are high enough that they shouldn’t “hang-up” on any terrain.
I’ve been using a high basket for years…..where there are NO roads. Never had any issues with ground clearance.

It was only after my first time doing what you suggested with a tarp. I created a double layer of tarp and essentially made a “bathtub” in the back of my Jeep. First it’s difficult to get the deer into the back. But once he is back there, the remaining blood (after field dressing) soaked through the tarp and I had to get it cleaned ASAP….because of the odor. I won’t ever put a deer inside the Jeep again.
You CAN fit the basket inside the back of your Jeep. Remove it and put it on just to transport your deer….then remove it and stow it in the back of your jeep again. It’s like a removable truck bed. 👍🏻😀

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Blood from the deer WILL soak through the tarp and you’ll wind up having your carpets cleaned while you clean up the blood on the floor. A cargo basket is the best option for transporting harvested deer.
look around and get one that has a “Rise” from the Hitch. 1st they look better….2nd they are high enough that they shouldn’t “hang-up” on any terrain.
I’ve been using a high basket for years…..where there are NO roads. Never had any issues with ground clearance.

It was only after my first time doing what you suggested with a tarp. I created a double layer of tarp and essentially made a “bathtub” in the back of my Jeep. First it’s difficult to get the deer into the back. But once he is back there, the remaining blood (after field dressing) soaked through the tarp and I had to get it cleaned ASAP….because of the odor. I won’t ever put a deer inside the Jeep again.
You CAN fit the basket inside the back of your Jeep. Remove it and put it on just to transport your deer….then remove it and stow it in the back of your jeep again. It’s like a removable truck bed. 👍🏻😀
This is JIMAC. I guarantee you will not ever hunt any rougher country than I have over 65 years of hunting and driving keeps from 1955 willys to 2018 JLR with a rear basket carrier on a two door jeep.

6F4C22E8-2EDF-4D1B-9A87-BC58EDDE4BBB.jpeg

9EF0EF87-635F-4049-88D0-F426061FCE62.jpeg

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Fair enough. As it happened, I never saw a hair on a white tail's ass all season anyway. I need to get a crossbow or a black powder rifle. Too many hunters during rifle season, even way out there. Plus you can hunt downtown with a crossbow, and that's where all the deer are during rifle season. I counted over 100 of them on the courthouse lawn one year.
Sponsored