Sponsored

How's the steering on the 4xe?

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
For those who had a JLU and replaces it with the 4xe. I am interested to know if your 4xe steering is better than regular ICE JLU. Rubicon or other model?

Thanks
Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Not all of us had a steering issue, so as one of those they both have been fine for me.

Stale

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I originally test drove a 2018 JLUR (and actually had 2 orders placed that were never delivered, long story), but I remember the steering feel on the test drive actually being pretty bad. Once the dealer couldn't deliver on the second order, I backed out for a bit and watched the steering updates closely (along with the older frame problems, etc).

Fast forward to 2021, and I really like the idea of the 4xe, so again I placed an order (still worrying about the steering & in this case the new electronics). This time it came in 4 weeks, and the steering is awesome. No dead play, and the only flex is what I would expect form the Rubicon suspension. I've put almost 1,000 miles on it in two weeks (probably 60% in EV), and dare say I don't think I'd have any issues taking it for a road trip.

That said, this is my first official Wrangler, though having test drove the first 2018's versus the 2021 4xe, I truly believe that there were some real issues originally, and it seems as though they've been working on it over the years.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Another thing to add is the 4xe has a well balanced and lower center of gravity compared to other Wranglers. Which also improves handling.

MightyAndrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Another thing to add is the 4xe has a well balanced and lower center of gravity compared to other Wranglers. Which also improves handling.
This is something I noticed when driving my 4XE. It feels more grounded than my wife’s Sahara. I’m assuming this is from the added weight of the battery

Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
This is something I noticed when driving my 4XE. It feels more grounded than my wife’s Sahara. I’m assuming this is from the added weight of the battery
The weight and the fact that the weight is lower middle of the vehicle. it should balance the vehicle better vs one where all the weight is in the front.

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
first jeep coming from yukon denali - was a worry of ours. No concerns as all. No dead play and responsive. Not self centering like a sportscar, but no hesitation to take it out on long trips. quick 400 road trip at 80-85 the 4xe was very grounded and felt planted, not really floaty. didnt feel any reduction in confidence at high speeds. test drove a 2021 rubi and sahara, no where close to the planted, non wandering feel of the 4xe. like it so much driving 1500 miles to California next year.

CaliJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Rubicon Past: 2016 C300, 2018 JLU Sport S
The 4xe has the new steering box that you can get through a TSB on the older JL’s. It’s drives like a BMW X5, smooth as butter

Stealth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I had the 2018 JL 3.6 Rubicon. I have 4xe Rubicon now. The steer feels much better. Easy driving on the freeway with a comfortable ride.
also, the torque makes me smile a lot.

Sponsored

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
I test drove a 4xe Rubicon immediately followed by a 3.6 Sahara. The 4xe steering and ride felt so much better. More grounded, steering more responsive with less play.

I expected the 4xe Rubicon to be the harsher ride but had exactly the opposite experience and in the end built up a "high altitude" interior for a Rubicon 4xe to get the best of both worlds. Ask me in July how I feel about the black leather on a topless summer day and I may second guess things but maybe by then there will be some nice seat covers to protect me from sitting in lava.

Bohunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
I think the stock 4xe drives like a sports car, best ride I ever had. Never felt like it was top heavy or in danger of tipping and steering was very responsive. Once I added a lift and bigger tires, it still drives well, but now drives like an SUV.

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
I just traded a 2020 jlur 2.0 for a 2021 jlur 4xe.
From the 20 to the 21 not a huge difference in steering- a little tighter but the 20 wasn’t bad.
Agree with other commenters that general handling is better on the 4xe especially on the highway

torque is phenomenal !
Sponsored