Sponsored

How would you bring up a below invoice price?

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
"Hey, can you guys get 5% below invoice?"
"no"
"Can you get close? because Koon's in VA is doing 5% below invoice, and I rather spend a few hundred extra here than drive 4 hours there."
"ok"

BOOM
Sponsored

bbuck7777

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon Unlimited Turbo
I just simply walked in and told them I wouldn't pay any more than 2% under invoice. And, that's what I got. I wasn't rude, I was respectful, but there was no reason to waste their time or mine. I don't do negotiations...I have a number I'm willing to pay and that's pretty much it. Could some folks get a better deal? Yeah, probably. I just don't like to haggle, so this works for me. One thing to remember, the dealer has to make money. I want to save as much as possible, but I also recognize that they have to make something on the deal.
Ron, I'm in ABQ. Did you order near Cruces?

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Ron, I'm in ABQ. Did you order near Cruces?
Believe it or not, I actually ordered here in Deming. The dealer in Las Cruces didn't seem all that interested. A dealer over in El Paso kept hounding me, until I told them my requirements...they quit calling after that...lol At the end of the day, I was glad I could keep the business here. Lord knows this tiny little town needs all that they can get...

CantThinkOfAHandle

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 RAV4, 2015 BMW Diesel Sports Wagon
I hate to say this, but a major concern is dealer reps trying to lie to you. I've experienced this many times, particularly in face-to-face transactions. I once had a new car detailed and waiting for me to pick up, when the rep called to demand an extra $300 for "special color." (It was basic black.) I told them to keep the car.

You nave no choice but to protect yourself. Get everything in writing, and know your rights in your state.

bbuck7777

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon Unlimited Turbo
Believe it or not, I actually ordered here in Deming. The dealer in Las Cruces didn't seem all that interested. A dealer over in El Paso kept hounding me, until I told them my requirements...they quit calling after that...lol At the end of the day, I was glad I could keep the business here. Lord knows this tiny little town needs all that they can get...
Thanks Ron! If I can't get the price I need when I decide what to buy (engine wise), I will check out Deming dealer. I don't know what it is up here that the dealers think you don't have options and must buy from them. I had to fly to Dallas to pick up my current PU at a big discount from local dealer.

Sponsored

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Ron! If I can't get the price I need when I decide what to buy (engine wise), I will check out Deming dealer. I don't know what it is up here that the dealers think you don't have options and must buy from them. I had to fly to Dallas to pick up my current PU at a big discount from local dealer.
Well, it also helped that I told them I didn't mind driving to ABQ, Phoenix, El Paso, wherever. I believe my words were that I'd like to do business locally, but my wallet would only stand so much. They were actually pretty cool about it...don't know if it helped or hurt that I told them it was a cash deal either. Hit me up if you decide to come down this way, and I'll steer you to the guy I bought with (when I went in, I asked for their most knowledgeable Jeep guy, and he seems to know quite a bit).

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
"Hey, can you guys get 5% below invoice?"
"no"
"Can you get close? because Koon's in VA is doing 5% below invoice, and I rather spend a few hundred extra here than drive 4 hours there."
"ok"

BOOM
My dealer told me about them. He doesn't know how they do it. There's a catch somewhere with tge fees, etc. or something . But also that they are messing up other Dealers by doing it. He definitely made the whole thing sound shady....

iki4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i Sportline
My dealer told me about them. He doesn't know how they do it. There's a catch somewhere with tge fees, etc. or something . But also that they are messing up other Dealers by doing it. He definitely made the whole thing sound shady....
Perhaps the catch is the $599 processing fee, because thats a lot of money

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Last edited:

Sponsored

Jeffinstl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
When negotiating with a dealer, when is the opportune time to discuss a below invoice price? 1) let the dealer first propose his 'best' offer? or 2) bluntly say that you won't deal for a price greater than 2,3,4, 5% etc. below invoice?
Thanks to the folks here posting invoice prices I figured what 5% under invoice was before going in. Once I was at the dealer I asked for the best deal they could do and they cam back $1600 above that 5% target. I countered with the 5% target and they said OK. Of course they added a $199 doc fee but that seems to be lower than most.

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2018 JLUS!, 2016 Tahoe
Thanks to the folks here posting invoice prices I figured what 5% under invoice was before going in. Once I was at the dealer I asked for the best deal they could do and they cam back $1600 above that 5% target. I countered with the 5% target and they said OK. Of course they added a $199 doc fee but that seems to be lower than most.
Jeff, what dealer in St. Louis did you get that deal at? Still need to order mine. Thanks!

Jeffinstl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Jeff, what dealer in St. Louis did you get that deal at? Still need to order mine. Thanks!
Chaz Williams from Allstar Dodge. We started at Lou Fusz and which was a complete waste of time. The guy was adamant that since this was a model change that there was no way anyone would be letting them go at or below MSRP. So we went to Allstar, got what we were looking for, and it was pretty painless.

I think there's this mental barrier if you actually say the words "5% below invoice" as opposed to making an offer.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
CONGRATS!!
Sponsored