How well do stock Rubi rock rails perform

Aclud4

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I got mine for $50. So it’s the much more economical route to get SOME protection. And it looks better than the running boards too. Haha

4B9D115C-FD64-4FA8-80FB-8C508BF27848.jpeg

93FD8952-F7FC-4F95-86A3-D8B6064D1BC7.jpeg
Awesome, thanks for the pics! I'll see how the wife and little one feel about hopping up.
Sponsored

Birdman

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL
Yes, a quite usable one too. They have a lot of visible step. My wife uses them all the time.
Here another picture. They aren’t slippery but if you wanted even more grip, just install some grip tape and it would be perfect.

CC15B28D-58EB-4124-BB1D-E4C88E191FF4.jpeg
I’ve ordered a pair of these how are they for protecting the fenders and the side of your Jeep from rocks and debris the tires kick up any issues there?
Also how wide is the step how far does it stick
out from the side?

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I kept my stock Rubi rails and added the Ace sliders “below” them. Now I have great protection, step for wife and kids and it protrudes for more protection in tight places.

Used them extensively in Moab a few times, they perform extremely well. No body damage and no worries!

E110A1E9-CB5D-49ED-B3CB-006F8CA91DB9.jpeg

Robtdcarr

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon. 2015 Ford Explorer. 2005 HD Softail Deuce. 2017 VW Passat.
I kept my stock Rubi rails and added the Ace sliders “below” them. Now I have great protection, step for wife and kids and it protrudes for more protection in tight places.

Used them extensively in Moab a few times, they perform extremely well. No body damage and no worries!

Agreed 100%. Love the Ace sliders and they were running some holiday discounts.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect

Exactly what I plan to do... come spring.

Sponsored

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Rockhard 4x4 has sliders that bolt to the frame, body and pinch seam, they are the only ones I have seen that bolt to every possible spot.
Umm, per their website (and as @Sean K. says below) the Rockhard sliders attach the exact same way as the Rubi rails, to the body not to the frame. You can't mount to both the body and frame at the same time since they do move independently.

The RH4x4 sliders don't actually mount to the frame though. They mount to the body mount bolts, through the pinch weld and through the floor pan. While this should be adequate, it's not the same as "frame mounting", nor would you want it to be since the body floats on the body bushings and a true frame mount would be rigid.
Many will argue the best protection is to go to the frame itself and skip the body/pinch seam. Those are the most sturdy for sure, but do they provide the best protection? I'd say yes because if you push on the rock rail that is attached to the frame, you actually push on the frame, which is a good thing because the entire Jeep will move with the frame.

That being said, if you are not a hard core rock climber, the body mounted rails will do just fine. I replaced my stock Rubi rails with the Mopar enhanced rock rails (body mounted) and couldn't be happier. They provide more protection outward away from the body than the stock do, they make a great step, they protect the rear fender flares better from rock chips, snow etc and they look OEM.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I’ve ordered a pair of these how are they for protecting the fenders and the side of your Jeep from rocks and debris the tires kick up any issues there?
Also how wide is the step how far does it stick
out from the side?
They don’t really provide any real debris protection. They will definitely catch some rocks from time to time. I would say the angled up version isabout 3” wide. I have since sold the JLUR. I will be purchasing another JLR soon in the 2 door Turbo variety. I will go back with these rails. They do in fact mount to the pinch and body bolts but they are built amazing and ten fold tougher than anything the factory put out. And the factory rails are pretty tough for what they are. I beat mine up good.

Good luck and I think you’ll be really happy with them.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
They don’t really provide any real debris protection. They will definitely catch some rocks from time to time. I would say the angled up version isabout 3” wide. I have since sold the JLUR. I will be purchasing another JLR soon in the 2 door Turbo variety. I will go back with these rails. They do in fact mount to the pinch and body bolts but they are built amazing and ten fold tougher than anything the factory put out. And the factory rails are pretty tough for what they are. I beat mine up good.

Good luck and I think you’ll be really happy with them.
Sorry for reviving the old thread. I am looking at getting these sliders and wanted to know if they are super heavy compared to the Rubi rails. I prefer not to add a ton of weight.Thanks.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Sorry for reviving the old thread. I am looking at getting these sliders and wanted to know if they are super heavy compared to the Rubi rails. I prefer not to add a ton of weight.Thanks.
No they do not add a whole lot. They are heavier for sure but for the protection they provide, you have to kind of expect it.

mfflannery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine for $50. So it’s the much more economical route to get SOME protection. And it looks better than the running boards too. Haha

4B9D115C-FD64-4FA8-80FB-8C508BF27848.jpeg

93FD8952-F7FC-4F95-86A3-D8B6064D1BC7.jpeg
Agreed, I sold my running boards off my JLUS yesterday and it's already a visual improvement. Next step is getting some Rubicon rail takeoffs.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase

Watch after he removes and shoes the crease wear they push in.
Not that it’s a big deal (not scared of drilling holes here on my rig)(not to keen on frame drilling though I might add) but I didn’t know that you have to drill a hole in your frame to get full functionality of the passenger side LOD slider.. Boggeling my mind why this was designed in that manner.. They look sharp and I would like them, but, my willingness to purchase in the future just went downhill.. it’s the principle not as much the drilling that grinds my gears..

Great video and thank you for sharing!

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
For moderate trails they do great but my wife wanted a step and the added protection for the rear fenders and hinges so we called Jason at Rock Hard and ordered flat step/sliders with no logos based on all of the reviews.

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
I live about an hour from Rubicon trail. I had stock rock rails on my JK Rubicon for about 10 years and did Rubicon trail a few times a year. I never had any problems. I just drive carefuly and usually do not drive very difficult trails like Fordyce Creek. I am looking at rock rails on my new JL Rubicon and I do not think that they provide less protection than stock rails on JK. I don't plan to replace them.

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For moderate trails they do great but my wife wanted a step and the added protection for the rear fenders and hinges so we called Jason at Rock Hard and ordered flat step/sliders with no logos based on all of the reviews.
You can get them without the logo?

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
1. They cover ugly pinch seam
2. They offer protection and are actually quite stout and heavy
3. They make a great accent piece on Sting-Gray ;)
Took them off to paint them.

8BFB686F-C18F-4279-A5C9-AB96FF7B8D30.jpeg
Sponsored