Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
So, I recently picked up a pair of take-off Rubicon rock rails for my Sahara and want to have a realistic expectation for the protection they provide.

I realize that they are body-mounted and not going to provide the same amount of protection that a frame mounted set does.

With that said, I do some light to moderate off-roading and wanted some protection in lieu of the standard running boards.

What are people’s opinion of them? How much abuse have you seen them take without causing body damage? Etc.
Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I'm in the same boat. I will probably never ever do any wheeling where I'd smash the crap out of my rock rails. But you never know. I would at least want slight protection. And yes those LoD's are nice but man I can't pony up that kind of cash.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
One of the first things I did was ditch the factory rock rails, but I do rock crawl. If you have no intention of coming down on a boulder, ledge or river bank...you should be ok with them.

OP
OP
Djmatt85

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
One of the first things I did was ditch the factory rock rails, but I do rock crawl. If you have no intention of coming down on a boulder, ledge or river bank...you should be ok with them.
Yea, I don’t plan on doing anything too hardcore... but the Rubicon trail is only 2 hours away... That is my end goal. Will get a small lift before then and see what this thing can do. And try not to come down hard in the rails.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Rockhard 4x4 has sliders that bolt to the frame, body and pinch seam, they are the only ones I have seen that bolt to every possible spot.
They have tube angled up, tube angled down, and platform...all 3 bolt to the same spots, and they are only $499.
They are IMO the best for protection and price.

And the best part is, they completely hide the pinch seam like the Rubi rails...Check them out if you havn't.

I am just having a hard time deciding on platform or tube angled up...damn brain delaying my ordering lol.

LOD look nice, but seeing the pinch seam bothers me, and their price is quite redonculous.

Sponsored

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Yea, I don’t plan on doing anything too hardcore... but the Rubicon trail is only 2 hours away....
LOL, isn't that kind of like an oxymoron? There are videos out there of people running those on the Rubicon trail, and there wasnt door damage or anything above the rails damaged that I saw. This obviously depends on how you get thru the trail. I got some just yesterday from a member here for only 100 bucks. Definitely helps with the finished look on the Jeep for those that have nothing there. My thoughts were a completed look as well as possibly kicking up rocks or something on trails. Just a little more protection for that area. I thin you will be perfectly happy with them if you dont plan on crawling alot, and like others said, cant beat the price if you can find some take offs.

OP
OP
Djmatt85

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
LOL, isn't that kind of like an oxymoron? There are videos out there of people running those on the Rubicon trail, and there wasnt door damage or anything above the rails damaged that I saw. This obviously depends on how you get thru the trail. I got some just yesterday from a member here for only 100 bucks. Definitely helps with the finished look on the Jeep for those that have nothing there. My thoughts were a completed look as well as possibly kicking up rocks or something on trails. Just a little more protection for that area. I thin you will be perfectly happy with them if you dont plan on crawling alot, and like others said, cant beat the price if you can find some take offs.
Lol. I think I just need to go up to the Rubicon and see what I’m in for. :rock:

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Lol. I think I just need to go up to the Rubicon and see what I’m in for. :rock:
Me and the wife was up in Tahoe for a week and cruised over to check the Rubicon out when I had my JK. It was lifted and on 35s and all that . We just went maybe a mile or 2 in going from east to west we were alone and it wasnt a Rubicon trail trip. It had snowed weeks before and once we got high enough where some snow was still present, I got high centered on a snow pile. I tried following the ready present wheel tracks and didnt wanna plow thru it as I didnt know wht was below the snow. Probably nothing at all, but at that time the snow was hard and icey. We were digging our way out but some good ole boys in some beater trucks were coong out of the trail and towed me out. It was good times really.

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK, 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 1987 Jeep Comanche
Occupation
Manufacturer
The rubi rails offer protection for the rocker, but since they don't have any tubing that protrudes out, they offer no real protection for the door. As long as you wheel carefully when off camber or around protruding obstacles on the side of the trail they will be fine.

We weren't even near this tree, but if we were over 12" or so on a bad line it could get into the door without the step or tube slider pushing the Jeep away.
IMG_0217.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Rubi rails will take a good hit. They are tough for what they are. I would hit them a lot so I upgraded worrying about the doors. Here are the angled up Rockhard sliders I went with.

D3F336C3-96BA-4658-93D0-6919C166AF76.jpeg

871893A4-8F79-4FEF-A21A-FB45C6F9B362.jpeg

FD2FCC25-C338-4349-A02A-866DBCA2B1DF.jpeg

06A49F11-5F70-46F2-9EED-A0E802C569FD.jpeg

Last edited:

JCatherine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Rubi rails will take a good hit. They are tough for what they are. I would hit them a lot so I upgraded worrying about the doors. Here are the angled up Rockhard sliders I went with.

06A49F11-5F70-46F2-9EED-A0E802C569FD.jpeg
Can the rock hard 4x4 angled up version be used as a step also?

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Can the rock hard 4x4 angled up version be used as a step also?
Yes, a quite usable one too. They have a lot of visible step. My wife uses them all the time.
Here another picture. They aren’t slippery but if you wanted even more grip, just install some grip tape and it would be perfect.

CC15B28D-58EB-4124-BB1D-E4C88E191FF4.jpeg

Aclud4

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
So, I recently picked up a pair of take-off Rubicon rock rails for my Sahara and want to have a realistic expectation for the protection they provide.

I realize that they are body-mounted and not going to provide the same amount of protection that a frame mounted set does.

With that said, I do some light to moderate off-roading and wanted some protection in lieu of the standard running boards.

What are people’s opinion of them? How much abuse have you seen them take without causing body damage? Etc.
Do you have any before/after pics? I’m in a Sahara too and am looking at some takeoffs vs buying the rock hard rails shown in this thread.

OP
OP
Djmatt85

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any before/after pics? I’m in a Sahara too and am looking at some takeoffs vs buying the rock hard rails shown in this thread.
I got mine for $50. So it’s the much more economical route to get SOME protection. And it looks better than the running boards too. Haha

4B9D115C-FD64-4FA8-80FB-8C508BF27848.jpeg

93FD8952-F7FC-4F95-86A3-D8B6064D1BC7.jpeg
Sponsored