Sponsored

How to use cell phone to remotely start '19 Rubi?

claytonjn

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Black and Tan
Just traded in my 17 JK for a 20 JL Sport with the 7" Uconnect and Cold Weather Group. I know I can't use the Uconnect app for remote-start. I had installed Viper SmartStart on my JK with just the DSM350 SmartStart module, a dball2, and a t-harness. Does anyone know if the dball2 will work with the JLs and if there's a t-harness available? If not, what other plug-and-play solutions are there to add app-based remote start / door locks to the JLs?
Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
If you're a manual transmission like me, Viper is the only one I was able to find.

EDIT: See more info here. This thread is manual tranmission focused but there is some decent info in there.

claytonjn

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have an automatic (with factory remote start). I did come across that thread too but didn't want to do too much cross posting. The biggest thing I'm unclear on is the availability of a t-harness for various solutions and confirmation that they require no modifications to the factory wiring.

It looks like I could get this and this, and the cost would be $489.98 plus $40/yr with service on T-Mobile. That's not bad at all, but because I already have the dball2 remote starter and the DSM350 SmartStart module I'd rather just buy a t-harness for like fifty bucks and just pay $170 for three years of Verizon service.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Honestly this is my first venture into remote starters (I've had manual transmission Jeeps since 2003), so I'm not super versed in everything but I would think the computers would be different enough to have different signals between the JK and the JL, so it wouldn't necessarily just be plug and play. The options you posted are interesting, and also $100 cheaper than anything I've been quoted.... time to do some research.

claytonjn

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dball2 allows for flashing different firmware. It's actually a bit outdated now but it's still listed as compatible with the JL (with different firmware). The difference is that it's not listed as "Remote Start Ready" - but it does list remote start compatibility. I'm not familiar enough with Directed (Viper) products to decipher what exactly that means, and unfortunately they basically hide everything behind their dealer login. For my JK I'm pretty sure I just registered as a dealer but I'm not even sure if I can do that.

Sponsored

sticker500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
You can install the following for about 270

iDatastart CMHCXA0
Drone Mobile X1-Max
ADS THR CH12

Requires no dealer activation and I installed it in my 2019 JLUR with passive keyless entry. There are other modules, and lots of ways to do this but this allowed for no splicing and secure takeover.

I also have experience with removing trim, and general alarm/12volt stuff over my years BUT anyone can do this, and if you end up wanting to do it, then I will be glad to help you. The uConnect remote start is JUNK and this works in seconds.

claytonjn

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can install the following for about 270

iDatastart CMHCXA0
Drone Mobile X1-Max
ADS THR CH12
Where did you buy all that for $270? I'm seeing $400+

For my personal situation I'm thinking that sticking with Viper will be cheapest. I don't think my dball2 will work but I can get a DS4 with proper firmware for $110 and the harness is $30. I can use my DSM350 or upgrade to a DSM550 for 4G coverage for $100.

sticker500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Where did you buy all that for $270? I'm seeing $400+

For my personal situation I'm thinking that sticking with Viper will be cheapest. I don't think my dball2 will work but I can get a DS4 with proper firmware for $110 and the harness is $30. I can use my DSM350 or upgrade to a DSM550 for 4G coverage for $100.
You can buy the module from Crutchfield (got them to apply a coupon so that was 129.99+tax). The harness is 49.99 on Ebay and the Drone module is around 100. You can be really close to the 270 just have to shop around. Is the T-Harness that Viper sells completely plug and play no splicing?

claytonjn

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is the T-Harness that Viper sells completely plug and play no splicing?
That's the only thing I'm not completely sure about.

I am a little concerned by the bad reviews of the Drone Mobile app in the Google Play Store.

Sponsored

sticker500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
That's the only thing I'm not completely sure about.

I am a little concerned by the bad reviews of the Drone Mobile app in the Google Play Store.
I love DroneMobile especially on iOS with the watch app. I cannot understand why FCA has such a hard time with this. The T-Harness I referenced is 100% plug and play for my application AND you have access to the guides with no BS Directed Techs login. You can flash the modules, activate Drone and do your own thing.

claytonjn

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ended up going with Viper again because it was going to be slightly cheaper and a local shop would sell me the flashed controller but I did the install so there really wasn't any issue with the Diretechs dealer login.

Cost totaled $238.99 plus tax:
  • T-Harness (THCHN3): $29.99 @ Best Buy
  • Controller (DS4): $110 including firmware @ local shop
  • SmartStart (DSM550): $99 - this is normally ~$150 but I got it as an "upgrade" for my existing DSM350
I could have just used the DSM350 I already had and paid only $140 but the 4G DSM550 does seems to be significantly more responsive. It's also worth noting that the SmartStart plan is about $25 more over three years than Drone, so in the end the price is about the same.

Is the T-Harness that Viper sells completely plug and play no splicing?
The T-Harness is not completely plug and play, I had to do one splice behind the light switch. Really not a big deal though because I just used a quick splice connector.

One thing to note, though, is that the DS4 does require 2-step programming - so the shop flashed the firmware, then I had to do the programming in the vehicle, then the shop had to plug it back in to finalize. I had already installed the T-Harness so I just popped off the panel under the steering wheel, plugged the unit in, and programmed, all in the lot of the shop and just brought the unit right back in for them to finalize. If I hadn't already installed the harness it just would have meant another drive to the shop.

Like I said above, the 4G SmartStart is definitely more responsive. There is also a WearOS app that works well. The only real gripe I have is that after starting from the app an unlock signal must be sent within 45 seconds before opening the doors otherwise the vehicle will shut off. I assume this is the same with Drone because otherwise someone could just drive off due to the nature of the push-to-start. With SmartStart in my JK with the doors unlocked in my garage I could start with the app and just get in, but then I'd obviously have to insert the key before driving off.

sticker500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
So the DRONE with T-HARNESS is completely plug and play. The Drone is 107.64 for 3 years, and you do not have to send a command within 45 seconds after issuing remote start. You have to press brake pedal within so many seconds after entering vehicle. The Drone app is very good and the shock sensor settings, tilt settings etc are really nice to have. I have used Directed in the past and am much happier with Drone as I didn't have to involve anyone to get it working.

claytonjn

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As far as installation is concerned I agree that the Drone system sounds slightly easier and potentially cheaper, but the differences seem relatively insignificant assuming you can find a local shop that's easy to work with. I'm not trying to convince anyone that one system is superior to another because I only have experience with SmartStart - I simply posted the update so the information is out there for anyone who may come across this thread in the future.

You have to press brake pedal within so many seconds after entering vehicle.
I'm confused...what is the reason for having to press the brake after entering the vehicle? The 45 second entry after unlock is to prevent the vehicle from being stolen. With the PTS system the keyfob is only required for starting, after that you could leave the keyfob at home and the vehicle is 100% operable - you could drive across the country as long as you never shut off the vehicle. With stock remote start the vehicle knows that it was remote started - after entering the vehicle you still need the keyfob and you have to hit the PTS button to prevent the engine from shutting off. With the Viper system, the keyfob is "emulated" and the vehicle thinks that it was started by the normal press brake and hold PTS method - this means that from the vehicle systems alone someone could get in and drive off without the fob because it's not required for operation like I said. Viper prevents this by requiring an unlock signal to be sent to the vehicle to essentially confirm that the person getting in is in possession of a keyfob. Come to think of it, I should test what happens if I leave a window down and use the door switch to unlock...

EDIT: Using the door lock after SmartStart does not prevent the vehicle from shutting down when opening a door, pressing the brake, opening the hood, etc. As far as I can tell the only way to keep the vehicle running after using SmartStart is to use the keyfob to unlock the doors and then entering the vehicle within 45 seconds. This means I don't have to worry about someone driving off after breaking a window or cutting open the top, or if for some reason I remote start with the vehicle unlocked, windows down, or top down.

Based on the fact that pressing the brake within so many seconds of entering is different than the factory remote start behavior I assume that Drone is also "emulating" a fob and tricking the vehicle into thinking it was started normally. If that's the case, what prevents someone from entering the vehicle through an unlocked door, breaking a window, etc., and driving off with the vehicle?
Sponsored

Last edited: