First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Thanks for the information! I am using the Hilleberg Anjan for tent camping, it's a perfect 3-season tent. I just feel it will be more convenience and safe to sleep in the car. I am thinking of buying the Weather Tech sunshade kit to hold the temperature in the jeep at night. 😆
We had a similar set up. If you have the right blankets and sleeping bag you can stay warm it’s just the car doesn’t stay insulated very well.

Although, if you’re looking to make a platform yourself, it’s not too much money and it could be a nice transition, but long-term you’ll probably want a more permanent/insulated solution.

As long as you’re enjoying yourself outdoors, that’s the key. I’ve quite fallen in love with camping myself.

we started by camping in the jeep and then moved to a rooftop tent and eventually a turtleback trailer.

4D8B3E76-3AE3-4601-ABA7-7925AC31CFAE.jpeg

0AE89D85-35AD-4080-BD59-DC1950AA121B.jpeg

27C1B1B5-996B-4B37-9ECA-769364ABB8AA.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kristine Wang

Kristine Wang

First Name
Kristine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK

Bohica

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
I feel like Ursa Minor is not the best solution for me, I can't install it by myself and I am worried about breaking down on the trip.
Goose Gear has the best storage solution but it doesn't come with the sleeping platform.
Ursa Minor is a replacement Hard Top.

Goose Gear can be used as The Sleeping Platform...just throw a mattress (like Deep Sleep) on top.

OP
OP
Kristine Wang

Kristine Wang

First Name
Kristine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
We had a similar set up. If you have the right blankets and sleeping bag you can stay warm it’s just the car doesn’t stay insulated very well.

Although, if you’re looking to make a platform yourself, it’s not too much money and it could be a nice transition, but long-term you’ll probably want a more permanent/insulated solution.

As long as you’re enjoying yourself outdoors, that’s the key. I’ve quite fallen in love with camping myself.

we started by camping in the jeep and then moved to a rooftop tent and eventually a turtleback trailer.

Jeep Wrangler JL How to turn my Jeep into a camper? 27C1B1B5-996B-4B37-9ECA-769364ABB8AA

Jeep Wrangler JL How to turn my Jeep into a camper? 27C1B1B5-996B-4B37-9ECA-769364ABB8AA

I have been really interested in the GFC hard shell roof tent for a long time, it looks super cool and easy to use. But I feel it will be safer and convenient if live the car, half the time I am in the middle of nowhere. I like the storage of the Goose Gear system, but there is no sleeping platform and secondary battery system within the product. I didn't find any product that perfectly fits my needs right now, and I am thinking of making one myself. BTW I love your 392!😆

Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I have been really interested in the GFC hard shell roof tent for a long time, it looks super cool and easy to use. But I feel it will be safer and convenient if live the car, half the time I am in the middle of nowhere. I like the storage of the Goose Gear system, but there is no sleeping platform and secondary battery system within the product. I didn't find any product that perfectly fits my needs right now, and I am thinking of making one myself. BTW I love your 392!😆
Yeah I get feeling safe, especially if you’re camping alone. There’s been one or two creepy noises outside the tent a few nights, but me and my wife just chalk it up to wildlife. I still keep a gun by my side though just in case that one off time it is something odd. We both feel safer with it.

Yeah someone posted some great references here for building your own. We used the deep sleep for jeep air mattress and didn’t build a platform. Might want to try that first and see if sleeping in the Jeep is for you.

Thanks! I love my 392 so much :) looks like you’re in Cali too! My wife and I are always looking for more camping friends so maybe we can plan something or otherwise maybe we’ll cross paths out here. Cheers!

tjeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 TJ, '24 392
I don't know if you have seen this site, but to me it is the ultimate Wrangler camper set up. Fridge, sink, power, the ability to be inside if weather is poor, or spread out to the outside if the weather is nice. He used this Jeep to tour Africa for a couple of years, and is now currently doing a Gladiator build to tour Australia.

I like to go out on trips a week or two at a time. I have a fridge in the back, mattress and a table on the tailgate to cook on. I find simpler is better. Currently I just fold down the back seat, but will be building a platform this spring similar to a Goose Gear set up.

Jeep Wrangler JL How to turn my Jeep into a camper? IMG_5945

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Thanks for the information! I am using the Hilleberg Anjan for tent camping, it's a perfect 3-season tent. I just feel it will be more convenience and safe to sleep in the car. I am thinking of buying the Weather Tech sunshade kit to hold the temperature in the jeep at night. 😆
The WeatherTech sunshade does not work for the hardtop side windows right out of the box. That’s because the Jeep hardtop windows don’t have a deep enough channel where the glass mates with the fiberglass. I glued small neoprene disks to hold the shades in place.

image.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kristine Wang

Kristine Wang

First Name
Kristine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
The WeatherTech sunshade does not work for the hardtop side windows right out of the box. That’s because the Jeep hardtop windows don’t have a deep enough channel where the glass mates with the fiberglass. I glued small neoprene disks to hold the shades in place.

Jeep Wrangler JL How to turn my Jeep into a camper? image
Yeah, it doesn't stay well in the window. I use the veclore tape to hold it. ;)

OP
OP
Kristine Wang

Kristine Wang

First Name
Kristine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Yeah I get feeling safe, especially if you’re camping alone. There’s been one or two creepy noises outside the tent a few nights, but me and my wife just chalk it up to wildlife. I still keep a gun by my side though just in case that one off time it is something odd. We both feel safer with it.

Yeah someone posted some great references here for building your own. We used the deep sleep for jeep air mattress and didn’t build a platform. Might want to try that first and see if sleeping in the Jeep is for you.

Thanks! I love my 392 so much :) looks like you’re in Cali too! My wife and I are always looking for more camping friends so maybe we can plan something or otherwise maybe we’ll cross paths out here. Cheers!
Haha me too, I am always carrying bear spray, a knife with me and a gun in my car for safety concerns.

Building one myself seems to be the best solution right now in the market. I think overland is getting bigger and bigger, and there will be more innovative product later on. 😝

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Haha me too, I am always carrying bear spray, a knife with me and a gun in my car for safety concerns.

Building one myself seems to be the best solution right now in the market. I think overland is getting bigger and bigger, and there will be more innovative product later on. 😝
Certainly! The key is your adventure. I’m planning my next one already :)

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

4D8B3E76-3AE3-4601-ABA7-7925AC31CFAE.jpeg

0AE89D85-35AD-4080-BD59-DC1950AA121B.jpeg

27C1B1B5-996B-4B37-9ECA-769364ABB8AA.jpeg
your tent looks super nice. Oh and the Jeep is beautiful of course, love the color choice, and the 392 wheels are just perfect. Does your tent provide any sort of insulation? how thick are the walls? I've been thinking buying a RTT for my soon to be delivered trailer. I am not gonna do it anytime soon, but in the near future. We have a baby and I would love to sleep alone sometimes lol.
Sponsored