How to turn my Jeep into a camper?

Kristine Wang

First Name
Kristine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Hi everyone! I really enjoy road trips to different cities, meeting new people, experiencing new things and smell the roses. I am getting tired of tent camping, so I am thinking of removing the back seat and turning my jeep into a camper which includes a kitchen system and bed platform inside my jeep. Does anybody have an idea or made one before? How thick should Wood be for a bed frame? Should I upgrade my cooler to a portable refrigerator?

2/10/2022 Update:
After 20 days I finally finished my project! The process is harder than I thought, how to mount and secure the system to the jeep and finding the best material fits my needs takes so much time. My first time designing and making something by myself turns out I really enjoy the process and the result. I believe this is the best gift that I made for myself in the beginning of 2022! Feel free to give me suggestions, comment or share your handmade project and the best place to overland in summer with me!

I made it into three parts: the back part(trunk), middle part (back seat), and the front part (extension when adjust the front seat)
The picture below is the back part, left side will be storage for cooking containers and the right side will be a refrigerator.
Jeep Wrangler JL How to turn my Jeep into a camper? Back

Jeep Wrangler JL How to turn my Jeep into a camper? Drawer

The picture below is the middle part. I also installed wireless light control on the bottom, and planned to store some daily supply and clothes under it.
Jeep Wrangler JL How to turn my Jeep into a camper? Middle

The picture below is the middle and front part(extension board), the front piece/extension board will only be used when I adjust the front seat and get ready for bed. I decorate the extension board with the stickers I brought when I travel to national parks. Plan to "fill in the blank" with all the amazing places later on.
Jeep Wrangler JL How to turn my Jeep into a camper? Front 3

Jeep Wrangler JL How to turn my Jeep into a camper? Front 2

Jeep Wrangler JL How to turn my Jeep into a camper? Front

This is the whole picture of my system! I am ready for the next adventure!!
Jeep Wrangler JL How to turn my Jeep into a camper? Finally
Sponsored

Last edited:

Red_shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
Hi everyone! I really enjoy road trips to different cities, meeting new people, experiencing new things and smell the roses. I am getting tired of tent camping, so I am thinking of removing the back seat and turning my jeep into a camper which includes a kitchen system and bed platform inside my jeep. Does anybody have an idea or made one before? How thick should Wood be for a bed frame? Should I upgrade my cooler to a portable refrigerator?
One good source for DIY ideas is CheaperJeeperTV:
If you want a ready-made, but expensive solution, check out the Goose Gear offerings.

Coolers need ice, which is an added weight and bother, but perfectly functional to keep food cold for days (with the better models). Fridges need a source of power, which will probably mean either a dual battery system or a portable battery, like a Jackery. Which you choose may depend on how often you can renew ice based on where you are travelling. In theory, a Jackery could power a fridge indefinitely with solar recharging and driving.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Is this a JL or JLU? I did this in a JL and slept in it one night because of sharp lightning in the mountains. Worked well. Wife and I are not tall people. Got my info from YouTube.

OP
OP
Kristine Wang

Kristine Wang

First Name
Kristine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Is this a JL or JLU? I did this in a JL and slept in it one night because of sharp lightning in the mountains. Worked well. Wife and I are not tall people. Got my info from YouTube.
I am currently having a JK, and planning to order a JL this year. I would love to see your design on the JL, could you please send me some pictures or video?

Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I am currently having a JK, and planning to order a JL this year. I would love to see your design on the JL, could you please send me some pictures or video?
Your photo shows the 4-door JKU, just want to double-check whether you’re planning to order a 2-door JL or 4-door JLU.

(I have no suggestions for either, but obviously that’ll influence the advice you receive.)

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Just keep in mind the Jeep gets really cold.

Me and my wife quickly discovered it was not comfortable when it dipped below 40. I would invest in a quick tent like a Gazelle or ShiftPod. Additionally, you could save up some more and get a rack with a roof top tent for convenience.

Ultimately, since it sounds like you're wanting to sleep inside something without fabric, a teardrop or square drop Offroad trailer may suit your long term needs better.

OP
OP
Kristine Wang

Kristine Wang

First Name
Kristine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
One good source for DIY ideas is CheaperJeeperTV:
If you want a ready-made, but expensive solution, check out the Goose Gear offerings.

Coolers need ice, which is an added weight and bother, but perfectly functional to keep food cold for days (with the better models). Fridges need a source of power, which will probably mean either a dual battery system or a portable battery, like a Jackery. Which you choose may depend on how often you can renew ice based on where you are travelling. In theory, a Jackery could power a fridge indefinitely with solar recharging and driving.
Thanks for the video! That's exactly what I want for my next adventure! I was using cooler for a long time and it is a little bit inconvenience when I stay in the forest for couple of days. Plus, like you said, it's pretty heavy to carry during refill (I am 110 pound). I will probably get a yeti 400 and see how the fridge goes. 😄

OP
OP
Kristine Wang

Kristine Wang

First Name
Kristine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Your photo shows the 4-door JKU, just want to double-check whether you’re planning to order a 2-door JL or 4-door JLU.

(I have no suggestions for either, but obviously that’ll influence the advice you receive.)
You are right! I mean I have a 4-door JKU. New to the jeep family and still learning the different model.😆

Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
You are right! I mean I have a 4-door JKU. New to the jeep family and still learning the different model.😆
Welcome to the family. My generation’s Unlimited has only 2 doors, so I’m used to people being confused about the naming conventions.

So you’re ordering a 4-door?

OP
OP
Kristine Wang

Kristine Wang

First Name
Kristine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Welcome to the family. My generation’s Unlimited has only 2 doors, so I’m used to people being confused about the naming conventions.

So you’re ordering a 4-door?
I was changing different cars every year until I had my 4 door JKU, I feel that's the one, can't live without a Jeep! it's really hard to get a car these days, and I am planning to order a 4 door JLU in 2022 to do some off-road and overland. 😄

OP
OP
Kristine Wang

Kristine Wang

First Name
Kristine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Just keep in mind the Jeep gets really cold.

Me and my wife quickly discovered it was not comfortable when it dipped below 40. I would invest in a quick tent like a Gazelle or ShiftPod. Additionally, you could save up some more and get a rack with a roof top tent for convenience.

Ultimately, since it sounds like you're wanting to sleep inside something without fabric, a teardrop or square drop Offroad trailer may suit your long term needs better.
Thanks for the information! I am using the Hilleberg Anjan for tent camping, it's a perfect 3-season tent. I just feel it will be more convenience and safe to sleep in the car. I am thinking of buying the Weather Tech sunshade kit to hold the temperature in the jeep at night. 😆