How to tighten steering.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
From the front of your Jeep look down beside your right driver side radiator hose.You will then see the steering box.The allen screw in the middle of the center nut is where you adjust it.If you over adjust, your steering wheel will not return to center and wear out the box. There are videos on youtube explaining how to adjust a steering box.I accessed mine using socket extensions without having to remove anything.
steering box.JPG
Thanks. Great post. I did this many,many years ago on Volvos. the second time I did it I adjusted too far and had problems with steering not centring after a turn. I fixed it by going back to the starting point, and adjusting a little bit at a time, until steering wander was corrected, and steering would return to centre after a turn.
It's important to note the starting point.
Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I adjusted my steering box today.

dead spot went from 1.5-2” to less than .5”

I’m going to live with it for a bit before making any more adjustments. I’m cautious to not over tighten.
Thanks for your post.
I haven't had the courage to touch/adjust my steering box.
Access is an issues for me.

I've read so many posts. However, yours makes sense to me.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
FCA has a fix for the steering issues now as reported in Motor Trend
“ Motor Trend confirms steering issue fix made to 2020 Jeep JL (gear valve tuning & pump calibration changes)

the article can be found on the this forum. This also, to my knowledge fixes the 2018&2019. So, coupled with the trackbar and stabilizer replacements you should be good. Also confirms why my steersmart trackbar and PSC hydraulic assist gave me awesome steering.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Environmental Technician
“ Motor Trend confirms steering issue fix made to 2020 Jeep JL (gear valve tuning & pump calibration changes)

the article can be found on the this forum. This also, to my knowledge fixes the 2018&2019. So, coupled with the trackbar and stabilizer replacements you should be good. Also confirms why my steersmart trackbar and PSC hydraulic assist gave me awesome steering.
Sorry about the bold type

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

I'll look for it.
Yesterday had a trip to the dealer to get an oil change. Dealer says it's ok for the jeep wrangler to have slop and wander.
I NEED to read that Motor Trend article.

edit: Thanks! Found it--simple search in the forum for "Motor Trend"

Last edited:

Sponsored

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Environmental Technician
I'll look for it.
Yesterday had a trip to the dealer to get an oil change. Dealer says it's ok for the jeep wrangler to have slop and wander.
I NEED to read that Motor Trend article.

Thanks for posting.
definitely give it a read and take the article to the dealer. Dealers are not very bright. What I find funny is an adjustable trackbar and PSC hydraulic assist eliminates wander, vibrations, wobble etc. I basically followed Kevin and Brittney from LiteBrite’s steering fixes and I am very happy. With that said, the dealer should be able to fix it as well. The steering is not normal but is fixable.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
definitely give it a read and take the article to the dealer. Dealers are not very bright. What I find funny is an adjustable trackbar and PSC hydraulic assist eliminates wander, vibrations, wobble etc. I basically followed Kevin and Brittney from LiteBrite’s steering fixes and I am very happy. With that said, the dealer should be able to fix it as well. The steering is not normal but is fixable.
I worked for 3M for 15 years. Manufacturing. Maintenance. First need: low manufacturing cost (more profit!). Second need: low warranty cost. (more profit!) There are two sides of the ledger. Profit. Loss... In industry it's a lot easier to justify making a change that reduces manufacturing cost. This increases Profit. Warranty costs are clearly on the Loss side of the ledger.

Finally, I can't believe the number of posts here about loose steering, steering boxes, suspension mods at owner's cost.

I can see FCA making new Wranglers better. However, I shall be extremely grateful when they actually fix the steering on our JLU.

Does JEEP CARES really read our posts?

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Thanks. Great post. I did this many,many years ago on Volvos. the second time I did it I adjusted too far and had problems with steering not centring after a turn. I fixed it by going back to the starting point, and adjusting a little bit at a time, until steering wander was corrected, and steering would return to centre after a turn.
It's important to note the starting point.
Starting point appears to be marked from the factory.

I haven’t gone back and done another adjustment, but I keep thinking about doing it.

Good luck.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Environmental Technician
I worked for 3M for 15 years. Manufacturing. Maintenance. First need: low manufacturing cost (more profit!). Second need: low warranty cost. (more profit!) There are two sides of the ledger. Profit. Loss... In industry it's a lot easier to justify making a change that reduces manufacturing cost. This increases Profit. Warranty costs are clearly on the Loss side of the ledger.

Finally, I can't believe the number of posts here about loose steering, steering boxes, suspension mods at owner's cost.

I can see FCA making new Wranglers better. However, I shall be extremely grateful when they actually fix the steering on our JLU.

Does JEEP CARES really read our posts?
They do read the posts but give blanket statements. There is a fix to the steering problem but you have to have a dealer willing to do it. They don’t make money doing warranty work and will simply say it’s a Jeep thing which by reading a lot of these posts people begin to believe. As far as mods on a Jeep, a large percentage of owners buy the Jeep because it has more mod capabilities than any other off-road vehicle. Mine for example, I’m running 37’s and when they wear out I’m going to 40’s, that’s where the RCV axles and PSC and steersmart steering upgrade come into play. Finally, when it comes to $$ I fully understand how companies operate for profit. I’m a operations analyst for large municipality and manage 10’s of thousands of farmland. Lol... I recommend anyone with the steering issue to take the motor trend article to their dealer. Have an awesome weekend!!

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks!
Our dealer just reopened. They were shut for months and months. And the dealership was bought out! We took our Jeep in for an oil change. They know we have a problem.

another issue for me is JEEP CARES is US only.

Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
They do read the posts but give blanket statements. There is a fix to the steering problem but you have to have a dealer willing to do it. They don’t make money doing warranty work and will simply say it’s a Jeep thing which by reading a lot of these posts people begin to believe. As far as mods on a Jeep, a large percentage of owners buy the Jeep because it has more mod capabilities than any other off-road vehicle. Mine for example, I’m running 37’s and when they wear out I’m going to 40’s, that’s where the RCV axles and PSC and steersmart steering upgrade come into play. Finally, when it comes to $$ I fully understand how companies operate for profit. I’m a operations analyst for large municipality and manage 10’s of thousands of farmland. Lol... I recommend anyone with the steering issue to take the motor trend article to their dealer. Have an awesome weekend!!
Thanks for your note.
My Jeep interest goes back to about 1964--summer driving an old surplus Army jeep. It was a joy.

zeroquanta

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
Is anyone else having a hard time finding this article?

I just bought a rubicon ultimate. Steering has a dead spot for sure but it is my first jeep. I have ordered the Synergy Trackbar brace and lowered the tire pressure to 36 just now. I plan on installing the brace and then if there is still slop tightening the steering box a bit. I am curious if my 2020 (February build I believe) is included in this gear valve and pump tuning calibration "fix".

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Is anyone else having a hard time finding this article?

I just bought a rubicon ultimate. Steering has a dead spot for sure but it is my first jeep. I have ordered the Synergy Trackbar brace and lowered the tire pressure to 36 just now. I plan on installing the brace and then if there is still slop tightening the steering box a bit. I am curious if my 2020 (February build I believe) is included in this gear valve and pump tuning calibration "fix".
Whats an “ultimate” ?!?! I may want one! :involve:

zeroquanta

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
Whats an “ultimate” ?!?! I may want one! :involve:
Haha, just the JLU 4 door is all I meant. Ultimate, Unlimited... Potato, Tomato.... Ya know, the same thing :P
Sponsored