Sponsored

How to tell the difference between a normal soft top and “premium” soft top?

ForeOSU

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU
I’ve looked at what feels like 200 Wranglers over the last few months and finally found “the one”. I asked the sales team (dealer is about 80 miles from me so i haven’t seen it in person yet) to confirm it had the premium soft top and they said it did. We work through finances and worked out a deal. I asked them to send me the window sticker so I could see all the details. And there is no reference to a premium top.
I’m heading there tomorrow to, in theory, buy it and bring it home. But if it doesn’t have the premium top, no deal.
So, how do I tell it is the actual premium top to make sure they don’t just lie to me?
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What model is it? Sport I don't think it is available, the others it is a $595 option (except Sahara and Rubicon the tan premium is $0).

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
The premium top would definitely be on the window sticker as it's additional $$$ over the base soft top.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the premium top will have tinted windows vs the base which does not.

beammmer

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL two-door, 2017 X5, 1973 2002
You should be able to find the window sticker for your exact Jeep on the dealers web site.

Don

OP
OP
ForeOSU

ForeOSU

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU
What model is it? Sport I don't think it is available, the others it is a $595 option (except Sahara and Rubicon the tan premium is $0).
Sport S. Package “22S”

Sponsored

OP
OP
ForeOSU

ForeOSU

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU
You should be able to find the window sticker for your exact Jeep on the dealers web site.

Don
Thanks. I have the window sticker and it isn’t referenced. But the dealer told me, “We don’t order any of our Wranglers with anything but the Premium Top”. So I’m afraid to drive over an hour to find out he’s actually misinformed/lying.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, all Sky One Power tops have the Premium Acrylic Twill material. I had to contact Jeep and they ran my VIN number so that's how I found out.
You can tell difference in tops. Premium material looks and feels more like Denim Blue jean material.
Here is a close-up pic.

I have been using this protectant and nothing stays on my top now.

BestTop Twill Protectant.jpg

Top 1.jpg

Jeep 3.jpg

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Thanks. I have the window sticker and it isn’t referenced. But the dealer told me, “We don’t order any of our Wranglers with anything but the Premium Top”. So I’m afraid to drive over an hour to find out he’s actually misinformed/lying.
If it's not listed as an option on the sport, you will not have the premium twill top. I have the standard top and it works fine for me. A bigger deal may be that for the standard top, tinted windows are an option ($500 I think). If those aren't listed as an option, you'll have clear windows.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Yeah, don't believe the dealer. If it doesn't specifically state "premium soft top" and have a charge of $595, then it's the standard top. I, personally, have the standard at it fine for me. Also, got any pictures from the dealer? The standard top is grey on the inside. The premium (I believe) is black :like:

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Yup as others have stated Sailcloth is grey on the underside and Premium Twill is black!

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
@ForeOSU is vehicle you're looking at is a dual-top equipped Wrangler? If so, you'll get the twill top in a box with the hardtop already installed. Otherwise you should see a charge there for the premium top.

My 2-door JL has the standard vinyl top with tinted rear windows. My wife's JLU has the upgraded top top since we ordered the dual-top group. They offer the same amount of protection, but the twill is definitely a nicer-looking material.

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
The premium top is fuzzy to the touch.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
This is also very important to know for people purchasing softtops from others on eBay, Craigslist etc. I've seen many ads for people selling "premium" softtops with grey colored material on the interior. I've asked them to verify the premium twill fabric. I usually get ignored or the seller claims ignorance.
Sponsored