Sponsored

How to take advantage of ESS effectively.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
My finger is tired from pushing the button. Besides, I'd rather pick my nose and dig for gold. ;)
Sponsored

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
Also, customizable for time. Instant as default, after 5 second, 10 seconds, never.

This would keep the engine running for short stops like stop signs or while driving around parking lots searching for a parking spot for the mall crawlers.
So, if you read the first post, you'd realize the brake pedal has sensitivity built in, if you don't press it past a certain point, ESS is disabled. For manuals, it's tied to the clutch, so just leave the clutch in in those situations and it won't shut off. They basically let you do exactly what you want, but no timers or default settings needed, just an extremely minor adjustment to how you drive.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
My finger is tired from pushing the button. Besides, I'd rather pick my nose and dig for gold. ;)
What if you used a wad of gum and some duct tape to hold the button down. Would it stay off at ignition if it was constantly depressed?

Last edited:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
So, if you read the first post, you'd realize the brake pedal has sensitivity built in, if you don't press it past a certain point, ESS is disabled. For manuals, it's tied to the clutch, so just leave the clutch in in those situations and it won't shut off. They basically let you do exactly what you want, but no timers or default settings needed, just an extremely minor adjustment to how you drive.
I guess this is why some people complain when they park the engine shuts down and then restarts. Some complain, some don’t.

Pull into garage, press brake (hard?), ESS shuts engine off. Put tranny into Park, engine starts, press kill button to turn off engine and vehicle.

If you are light on the brake, you can avoid this scenario? I just don’t see a need for the engine to restart ever time you park. Seems counterintuitive but the Jeep doesn’t know you are parking.

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
I guess this is why some people complain when they park the engine shuts down and then restarts. Some complain, some don’t.

Pull into garage, press brake (hard?), ESS shuts engine off. Put tranny into Park, engine starts, press kill button to turn off engine and vehicle.

If you are light on the brake, you can avoid this scenario? I just don’t see a need for the engine to restart ever time you park. Seems counterintuitive but the Jeep doesn’t know you are parking.
Yup, if you're light on the brake it won't do ESS - use the same method in stop and go traffic and you won't have to even hit the button to shut it off. If I'm in a line of traffic and I don't see any cars moving ahead, I push the brake in a little harder so it shuts off. If the cars are doing the accordian, I push lightly at a stop and the engine stays running. Pretty easy to figure out once you try it.

Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
What if you used a wad of gum and some duct tape to hold the button down. Would it stay off at ignition if it was constantly depressed?
I dunno. This angst over ESS is a lot like when automakers moved the floor-mounted headlight dimmer switch to the turn signal stalk. It took me a long time to acclimate, because I kept getting my left foot tangled up in the steering wheel.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have tried the approach multiple times with pressure on the break pedal and sometimes it works and never shut off and other times it shuts off, maybe I am doing something wrong, maybe I need to reread thru the tips on how to manage the ESS system, if I could figure out a way to manage it that would be ok, I do like the idea that @Jeepsterfreak mentioned to have it customizable

drbsp

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler Unlimited 75th Anniversary Edition
It's 2018 we need less things distracting us when driving, not more. We will eventually look back at this as the bad idea that it is. Kinda like those automatic seat belts that were around for like 2 years in the 90's. Will be disabling this.
Good point, where have the automatic seatbelts gone? I guess that’s one convenience us Americans learned to live without. Typically, anything that gets rid of extra motion or exercise is a big hit in our country. BTW - I turn ESS off as soon as I get in my Jeep. It’s not that difficult to hit a button. After all, as an American I can use the exercise!

drbsp

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's a tip: turning the wheel restarts the engine as well as removing a little brake pressure, so either will get you ready for that jack-rabbit start when the light turns green.

Sean, I see exactly what you are trying to accomplish, here, but my instincts tell me anything you have to say about ESS will fall on deaf ears. Like you, yourself, said, either you love it (in which case you'll read this thread quickly and nod) or you hate it (in which case you'll write responses attacking the tech, and possibly the poster). It's kind of a lose-lose for you.

I, myself, like the concept, and the engine cycling off and on has never been a cause for concern for me. Like you, I will never understand why people are so opposed to it, even though I've read every thread on this forum concerning ESS. The arguments against just aren't reasonable. But I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince people that they're wrong/just don't get it/it not as bad as you think/it has advantages etc. I think you're probably getting the idea why after reading your responses.
I personally dislike it and turn it off when I get in the Jeep but I do find it to be a smarty invention to meet a standard imposed by govt. Makes absolute sense if your trying to get to 30 mpg

drbsp

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He works at the EPA.
All you have to do is push a button. There are kids starving in Africa. You can do this. We have a standard to meet and it is either the button or Wrangler will never make the 30 mpg threshold.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Good point, where have the automatic seatbelts gone? I guess that’s one convenience us Americans learned to live without. Typically, anything that gets rid of extra motion or exercise is a big hit in our country. BTW - I turn ESS off as soon as I get in my Jeep. It’s not that difficult to hit a button. After all, as an American I can use the exercise!
Automatic seatbelts were killed by the airbags. I believe for a few years the feds required automatic seatbelts or airbags. Airbags won.

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
Automatic seatbelts were killed by the airbags. I believe for a few years the feds required automatic seatbelts or airbags. Airbags won.
Government mandate won. Automatic seatbelts were actually inferior to manual belts too.

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Government mandate won. Automatic seatbelts were actually inferior to manual belts too.
My first car had those automatic seat belts. The motors eventually wore out and I had to just manually attach the shoulder strap anyway, making what would normally be a one step process to two. lol

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have tried the approach multiple times with pressure on the break pedal and sometimes it works and never shut off and other times it shuts off, maybe I am doing something wrong, maybe I need to reread thru the tips on how to manage the ESS system, if I could figure out a way to manage it that would be ok, I do like the idea that @Jeepsterfreak mentioned to have it customizable
I actually noticed this today that even with light pressure for the first time my engine did cut off. Not that I was trying to prevent it, I generally use light pressure on my brakes.

I think your best bet would be to use the manual shifter when coming to a stop. Use the engine to help slow down with down shifting manually and it won't shut off. Just kick the shifter back to auto when taking off.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
So what is the alternative to the internal combustion engine? Electric? If you could replace every car in the US today with an electric equivalent, you would need to burn more fossil fuels to generate electricity such that the end result would be a slight INCREASE in actual CO2 emissions. The reality is that we are so far away from having effective alternative sources of energy that can generate the capacity we need, that ICE's are the ONLY option.
Wouldn't solar panels, wind mills and nuclear power plants replace the need to more fossil? Fact is that nuclear is safer today than it's ever been and would resolve many of our CO2 problems. Problem remains in how quickly that spent battery is charged. I like the comfort of five minutes and I'm gone on long trips. Plus not all can charge at home. We do need an infrastructure before EV's rule the road.
Sponsored