Sponsored

How to take advantage of ESS effectively.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
While it's good to know that use of the transmission to decelerate passes muster as not damaging, I wonder if others have found that only putting the vehicle into Drive after engine and foot breaking, and it's come to a stop, has also prevented their ESS from kicking in--either because they've done this and/or are aware of the ESS algorithms.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
While it's good to know that use of the transmission to decelerate passes muster as not damaging, I wonder if others have found that only putting the vehicle into Drive after engine and foot breaking, and it's come to a stop, has also prevented their ESS from kicking in--either because they've done this and/or are aware of the ESS algorithms.
Honestly I've never heard of anyone putting their automatic into neutral as they stop at a light.

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Regardless of all of the empirical evidence to the contrary, provided by scientists and engineers (also stupid). Regardless of whether it makes you feel like you're trying to do your little part to help the environment (and let's face it, nothing is more stupid than the environment).
It is in fact, so stupid, and intrusive, that there should just be one button to permanently disable every stupid auto intrusion, like air bags, antilock brakes, safety glass, fuel injection, power steering, auto seat belt tensioners, automatic transmission (anyone who has spent time in an hour of stop and go traffic knows how stupid an auto is), air conditioning and heat, and electric defrosters plus those stupid power mirrors and seats. And don't even get me started on the stupid, lazy people who need power assisting their windshield wipers.

I know, I know, most of these are safety features and conveniences that no smart person would ever disable. Or maybe they would. Because if they don't, or if they do, they're also stupid. But ESS, the BSG and the Hurricane, as well as the increased use of lighter materials are here to stay. And if you think they're inconvenient now, wait till the internal combustion engine, a design relatively unchanged (squirt gasoline into a chamber, pressurize it then blow it up) for more than a hundred years is finally acknowledged to be as stupid as all of us sooper smart people know it is. Then we can all just let Google drive us all to work in our 4 door iPhones. Because if we don't learn to live with these little inconveniences, the big conveniences are doomed.

2agi5f.jpg

Congratulations, you've made me actually laugh out loud!

Last edited by a moderator:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Honestly I've never heard of anyone putting their automatic into neutral as they stop at a light.
Maybe you're not referring to me. As posted, I've put my automatic into Drive once motionless at a stop light, not neutral.

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe you're not referring to me. As posted, I've put my automatic into Drive once motionless at a stop light, not neutral.
It should be in drive anyways.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Has the algorithms the computer follows for engaging ESS (of course when the ESS disable button is not otherwise pushed each time one initially cranks the engine) been posted, or have we deduced as many of them as we can from both FCA snippets and our own driving experience?

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Has the algorithms the computer follows for engaging ESS (of course when the ESS disable button is not otherwise pushed each time one initially cranks the engine) been posted, or have we deduced as many of them as we can from both FCA snippets and our own driving experience?
The ESS conditions to be met have been laid out in the owner's manual.

Vehicle must be in drive.
At operating Temperature.
Solid Brake Pressure.
Good Battery Charge.
Ect.

The following post has a good PDF of the pages in question.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...dvantage-of-ess-effectively.5927/#post-124388

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
The ESS conditions to be met have been laid out in the owner's manual.

Vehicle must be in drive.
At operating Temperature.
Solid Brake Pressure.
Good Battery Charge.
Ect.

The following post has a good PDF of the pages in question.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...dvantage-of-ess-effectively.5927/#post-124388
Seen both. The former spells out conditions that need to hold before the ESS *may* kick in, the latter general guidelines. And thanks...but I seek essentially, "the JavaScript" if you know what I mean, that controls the ESS's decision making rubric.

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Seen both. The former spells out conditions that need to hold before the ESS *may* kick in, the latter general guidelines. And thanks...but I seek essentially, "the JavaScript" if you know what I mean, that controls the ESS's decision making rubric.
Yeah, well they probably won't release that information. and it won't be accessible to the end user anyway.

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
My only complaint about the JL ESS is that restart sounds like cranking a 20 year-old car with a half-dead battery. You could barely tell when my prior BMW was restarting. I don't expect a Wrangler to have BMW-level NVH, but I'm hoping that the BSG will make the restart quieter/quicker.

ESS implementation in the 6MT JL is the same as the BMW though, which is great. The 6MT gives you total control, because the engine won't shut off unless you are in neutral without the clutch engaged. If you don't want the engine to cut off in a particular scenario, just keep the clutch in.

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
JL no. But several other vehicles with ESS.
Ah, My experience with ESS Vehicles are 2.7 F-150 and my JL. The JL's ESS is far better than the one on the F-150. It doesn't constantly shut off and on at an intersection if you need to creep forward, or if your A/C is running.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK X 2-DR
Honestly, My beef is not so much with the inclusion of ESS....it is with making the disable switch "temporary". If they had made it permanent/persistent then I could care less. The choice would be mine either way...and I wouldn't have to remember it every time I start the vehicle. Choice is always the better option.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, My beef is not so much with the inclusion of ESS....it is with making the disable switch "temporary". If they had made it permanent/persistent then I could care less. The choice would be mine either way...and I wouldn't have to remember it every time I start the vehicle. Choice is always the better option.
Well said sir, you are correct it should be our choice and we should not have to remember to turn it off everytime if we choose not to use it and we should not have to buy some type of programmer or chip bypass for several hundred $$$ to do a simple task of telling it to stay off.

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well said sir, you are correct it should be our choice and we should not have to remember to turn it off everytime if we choose not to use it and we should not have to buy some type of programmer or chip bypass for several hundred $$$ to do a simple task of telling it to stay off.
We should also keep in mind for a purely SUV company to continue existence the fuel economy numbers must increase. This is why ESS is set to default to active, otherwise the EPA would have a somewhat lower city rating and thus bringing the corporate fleet average down.
Sponsored