Sponsored

How to take advantage of ESS effectively.

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL, build date 12/12/17; 2015 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic Softail
IMG_1482.JPG In my experience, it's just been one more electrical thing to fail on an intermittent basis...

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Well, I truly enjoyed watching him digging out the auxiliary battery, etc.. Nice job Brandon!

He might have also mentioned that you also have another safety issue .. that the JL can also be started with the main battery dis-connected and the aux. battery connected.

However, to kill all 12v power when I work on my JL , I will be doing it the way it is described here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/to-kill-12v-power-to-the-jl-jlu.6244/

Also, I thought you also could access the aux battery by pulling the passenger side wheel well plastic and looking upward to find it there. Guess not, by what I just saw in the video. Geez, ya learn something new every day...

Thanks Brandon!

By the way Brando, @brandonh is a forum member here.

Last edited:

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
Here is a great video for anyone with questions

An interesting point is for the 2018 ESS only pentastar engine FCA did have to put a beefier starter on the engine but for the 2019 ESS & BSG there is no starter! Apparently the Belt Start Generator is the starter?

Sponsored

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S P85+ / Subaru Baja Turbo 5-Speed
Yep. the name implies its function. It's a belt run by an electric motor that starts the engine and keeps spinning it until the engine can provide sufficient torque. It'll probably be active for about 1 second or so as the engine goes from 0-1000 rpm. That way you should feel the engine turn off, because the vibrations and noise stop, but you shouldn't really feel it start back up like you normally would when you start an ICE car. It'll just start vibrating and making noise again.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
The BSG has a higher capacity, LI battery, which will obviously be better for the ESS. Perhaps I shouldn't have said "larger", but "larger capacity", as that's all that matters. I still haven't seen the BSG battery, but I still believe it will be physically larger.

I feel that Jeep rushed the Wrangler with only ESS to market, as the BSG system is vastly better in every way. It will provide torque boost, lower emissions and provide better fuel efficiency.
  • eTorque BSG Lithium-Ion battery capacity: ~0.3 kWh

• 12V AGM Lead-Acid starter battery capacity: ~0.6 kWh

• Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Lithium-Ion battery capacity: 16 kWh

• 5 Gallon jerry can full of regular gasoline: 5 * 33 kWh * 20% efficiency = ~33 kWh useable energy

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@BillyHW ... The YouTube video Brandon made provides info you were asking about. If you place your jumper cables or trickle charger on connector fastened to pos on the main battery and to the connector fastened to the Neg side of the battery, you will in fact be charging both Main and Aux. batteries. With this in mind, you can see how you could jump or trickle charge just the aux battery if you wanted to or just the main battery.

Yes, that video shed some light on things.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the whole ESS and BSG thing is pretty sad. It's a desperate corporate attempt to meet regulations and really doesn't help consumers. If it were me, I'd just disable the ESS and just appreciate the beefed up starter components. But, if it were my money, and it is, I wouldn't buy these vehicles. I'd just wait for the ground-up hybrid or EV.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Here is a great video for anyone with questions

An interesting point is for the 2018 ESS only pentastar engine FCA did have to put a beefier starter on the engine but for the 2019 ESS & BSG there is no starter! Apparently the Belt Start Generator is the starter?
No the BSG Wrangler still has the regular starter for cold starts, but it is not the beefier starter that the non-BSG version has.

Sponsored

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah. Welp, that's too bad. Oh well! I guess people will just need to be happy with that they get. It seems like it's common for companies to release a new engine/transmission half way through a product cycle. So the JL has the new chassis which is good but then old engines which is not so good. I suppose we'll see how well the turbos are received. They might be the solution to all this mess.

For me, it's either plug-in hybrid, EV, or massive all-new V8. I wouldn't even want an old 5.7. I'm waiting to see if the 7.0L or 6.2L make it into the Ram 1500.

ChrisTheGod

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha r6, Infiniti q60s conv, 2021 HYDRO RUBI
This may sound stupid right but I plan on buying the Mopar aux connection would it be smarter to connect it to the aux battery or the good ol normal battery?

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
This may sound stupid right but I plan on buying the Mopar aux connection would it be smarter to connect it to the aux battery or the good ol normal battery?
That Mopar kit comes with specific instructions. There is a vendor video and the Mopar instructions in a forum thread. You can also do a Goggle search to find the video. You better do as the instr. recommend. 8-)

ChrisTheGod

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha r6, Infiniti q60s conv, 2021 HYDRO RUBI
That Mopar kit comes with specific instructions. There is a vendor video and the Mopar instructions in a forum thread. You can also do a Goggle search to find the video. You better do as the instr. recommend. 8-)
Yea I watched the video but what if he didn’t know how to get to the aux battery. :movember: I would assume it’s made for the aux switches as well. I need someone with the aux paccage to take a look into this.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Yea I watched the video but what if he didn’t know how to get to the aux battery. :movember: I would assume it’s made for the aux switches as well. I need someone with the aux paccage to take a look into this.
Huh... you are losing me. Explain.
Sponsored