How to take advantage of ESS effectively.

ThirtyOne

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I think some people just make it a matter of pride to get the worst fuel economy possible. Much like a Coal Roller blowing as much smoke as possible at someone driving a Prius. Now I like diesel trucks, and I seriously considered the Titan XD and the Ram 2500 trucks before settling on the Wrangler, but I would not waste my money on all of these delete kits and chips to just blow smoke and get 10 MPG...

I will also refuse to waste my money on these Tazer programmers to permanently disable ESS. If I find myself in a situation where ESS will become annoying, like heavy stop and go traffic on I-40 through Winston, I just push the button... simple as that. Otherwise I will enjoy not constantly needing gas like I used to with my old truck.
Well I agree with all that.

But even beside fuel economy and emissions, if I were to design how a car works without any preconceived notions of how ICE works or anything I think it would be like a golf cart. It is powered when you are moving and not when you aren't. It just doesn't make sense to run an engine that doesn't do anything. Now because we have 100 years of cars running when they don't need to we think that it is intuitive. It isn't. It is a hack.
Advertisement

WXman

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Nuclear power plants cause water vapor (think steam) to rise in the atmosphere. Interestingly the physics of water vapor has a positive correlation with airborne pollutants. The more CO2 in the air the more water vapor can be stored in the air. Water vapor is the engine driving climate change but it’s a byproduct of pollution. If you read my other posts I couldn’t agree with you more on the waste material from nuclear energy. Little known fact nuclear is not a renewable resource also.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/ShipTracks/ship_tracks_2.php

I apologize if this comes across as obnoxious. I have the privilege of taking courses at The Ohio State University (most universities allow older folks like me to take courses for free) and I just took an Environmental Science course on Climate Change. I’ll admit I was skeptical but I learned way more than I ever thought I would. The peer vetted scientific data is overwhelming.
Water vapor is water in gas form, i.e., we can't see it with the human eye. When you walk outside on a summer day and it feels "sticky", that's water vapor. You can't see it, but you know it's there. Water in any form has absolutely nothing to do with so called "climate change". There is X amount of water (in any of the three forms) on Earth and that's all there's ever been and that's all there ever will be. Hence, the water cycle. It should be noted that in the 1970s headlines read "ICE AGE!" and the scare tactic was that glaciers were going to reform and we were going to die. That didn't pan out so by the 1990s it became "GLOBAL WARMING!" and the scare tactic was that the polar caps were going to melt, oceans would rise into cities, and we would die. That didn't pan out either. So now the liberals are using "CLIMATE CHANGE!" because that terminology covers all the bases and they can't be wrong, or so they think.

Problem is, using a <1% sample size (we only have 125-150 years of actual, recorded, documented worldwide weather records) to describe the whole is crap science and cannot be relied upon. It's all politically driven horse s*** that will not pan out because it's simply not true in the way they are pushing it. Scientific law proves that matter cannot be created nor destroyed, and human beings cannot cause Earth to cease to exist when we had no power to create it to begin with. We're just here to live...and live we should. Which is why if you want to drive a Jeep on 35" tires, you should enjoy every second of it.

Can we all at least agree that having an engine running while you are at a full stop is idiotic and basically a design flaw with automobiles?

Now, the implementation of the solution may leave something to be desired but the goal is the right goal.

I can't understand why I should fight for my freedom to have an engine running in a stopped vehicle. That is asinine.
It is kind of stupid. It's like turning on the water in the bathroom and leaving it running until you're finished getting ready for work. Does anybody do that? Or do you just turn the water on when you need to rinse the toothpaste out of your mouth and maybe take a shower? Why don't we only use gas when the vehicle is moving? Makes sense to me.

We SHOULD be good stewards of our environment. There's a fine line between not caring about the environment, and being so scared of ruining it that you don't even enjoy your life. We should look for that medium between the two and try to stay there.

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Water vapor is water in gas form, i.e., we can't see it with the human eye. When you walk outside on a summer day and it feels "sticky", that's water vapor. You can't see it, but you know it's there. Water in any form has absolutely nothing to do with so called "climate change". There is X amount of water (in any of the three forms) on Earth and that's all there's ever been and that's all there ever will be. Hence, the water cycle. It should be noted that in the 1970s headlines read "ICE AGE!" and the scare tactic was that glaciers were going to reform and we were going to die. That didn't pan out so by the 1990s it became "GLOBAL WARMING!" and the scare tactic was that the polar caps were going to melt, oceans would rise into cities, and we would die. That didn't pan out either. So now the liberals are using "CLIMATE CHANGE!" because that terminology covers all the bases and they can't be wrong, or so they think.

Problem is, using a <1% sample size (we only have 125-150 years of actual, recorded, documented worldwide weather records) to describe the whole is crap science and cannot be relied upon. It's all politically driven horse s*** that will not pan out because it's simply not true in the way they are pushing it. Scientific law proves that matter cannot be created nor destroyed, and human beings cannot cause Earth to cease to exist when we had no power to create it to begin with. We're just here to live...and live we should. Which is why if you want to drive a Jeep on 35" tires, you should enjoy every second of it.

It is kind of stupid. It's like turning on the water in the bathroom and leaving it running until you're finished getting ready for work. Does anybody do that? Or do you just turn the water on when you need to rinse the toothpaste out of your mouth and maybe take a shower? Why don't we only use gas when the vehicle is moving? Makes sense to me.

We SHOULD be good stewards of our environment. There's a fine line between not caring about the environment, and being so scared of ruining it that you don't even enjoy your life. We should look for that medium between the two and try to stay there.

I'm pretty sure someone will try to blame the new Kilauea eruption on Climate Change...

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well I agree with all that.

But even beside fuel economy and emissions, if I were to design how a car works without any preconceived notions of how ICE works or anything I think it would be like a golf cart. It is powered when you are moving and not when you aren't. It just doesn't make sense to run an engine that doesn't do anything. Now because we have 100 years of cars running when they don't need to we think that it is intuitive. It isn't. It is a hack.
I agree that it's a logical progression of how vehicles should develop and evolve, its just peoples minds are so hardened.

We no longer use carburetors on cars but some people still insist on warming up their engine for 10 minutes before driving even one inch. They also act like an ESS restart burns as much fuel as a cold start on a 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner with a 383 big block.

Kysport

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Love the video. Thanks for posting.

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
Let's all agree to disagree.
The liberal commie environmentalist will never convince the neanderthal gun totting consevaticon Nazis of anything and vice versa.
Secondarily the commies enjoy the Obama mandate to make the Libertarian wackos submit to living under ESS.
Those weathy conservatives will seamingly win as the pay a few bucks to flash their eproms. But the environmental wackos will ultimately win the decades lasting strugle to rid the planet of all autos.
I’ve got to ask. What is the flag in your profile pic? Haha
I’ve tried to find it online with no luck and apparently you can’t do a reverse image search on google if you’re using a crApple iPad
I have ESS on my 2018 Ford Escape (still waiting for my 18 Rubicon to be built!) and all those tips about applying brake pressure are true and you will get to the point where it is second nature and a no brainer to use. My new Escape averages 29 mpg and that's with the 245 hp 2.0 turbo which is very good mileage. My utility vehicle that keeps on going forever, and the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, a 2005 Mercury Mariner with the 200 hp 3.0 v6, is lucky to see 23 mpg on the highway. A huge difference. I know that the autostart has a positive impact on my mpg because in Chicago you have traffic and stop lights everywhere. I've actually noticed that more and more vehicles have ESS and it's kind of cool when we are sitting at a stoplight and all the vehicles are silent.
My escape had a note included in all the warranty info, owners manual, etc., that said that the ESS will not damage your engine or anything else and that an upgraded battery and heavy duty starter was part of the technology.
I just pictured you in Chicago traffic with a bunch of other ESS equipped vehicles and a NASCAR announcer saying “Start your engines” when the light turns green and you take your foot off the break pedal! Haha

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

You’re obviously a smart person but I have a feeling you have heard this from “somewhere” and haven’t looked into it yourself. The reason I believe you’ve heard this is it is scripted. Believe it or not cigarette companies used to say cigarettes do not cause cancer, while it has been proven they know the whole time. The reason I bring this up is the same (literally the exact same) people who the cigarette industry used to spread this misinformation are now working for climate change deniers.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...poses-slick-us-industry-behind-climate-denial

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/cif-green/2010/feb/19/climate-change-sceptics-science

On your water vapor theory:

What you’re referring to is called humidity. Humidity is the cause of the “sticky” feeling you’re describing. Humidity is water vapor at or near the surface of the planet. The peer vetted scientific facts on water vapor’s affect on climate change I was referring to concerns the troposphere, which is much higher, and something called “feedback process”. Here is some information if you care to research (look into) it yourself.

https://www.yaleclimateconnections....te-misconceptions-the-water-vapor-feedback-2/

https://climatechangeconnection.org/science/what-about-water-vapour/

https://www.skepticalscience.com/water-vapor-greenhouse-gas.htm

https://climate.nasa.gov/causes/

On “crap science”:

I believe in science. It has a torture test called the “scientific process”. What this means is everything begins as a theory. Once a theory can be proven it has to be reviewed by others. This is my favorite part, scientists love to prove others wrong and try to by every way possible. Even if someone believes something to be true they play “devil’s advocate” just in case. My posts contain scientifically proven peer reviewed information. To further my point I have included references and sources which are required in any claim made during higher education. I believe we should never stop learning and become content with what we believe to be true. So I would be open to review any sources or references you may have regarding your opinion.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Wichita_flag.png
The Wichita KS flag. Designed in 1937 it is displayed everywhere, buildings, bumper stickers, license plates, and flags.

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wichita_flag.png
The Wichita KS flag. Designed in 1937 it is displayed everywhere, buildings, bumper stickers, license plates, and flags.
Thank you, it really was driving me crazy. That’s cool! I checked state flags but didn’t even think about city flag. I’m ashamed to admit I don’t know what my city flag looks like. We have a minor league baseball team here and I know they fly city, county, state, and USA flags there so next time I go I’ll have to pay attention.

misanthrope

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
It That didn't pan out so by the 1990s it became "GLOBAL WARMING!" and the scare tactic was that the polar caps were going to melt, oceans would rise into cities, and we would die. That didn't pan out either. So now the liberals are using "CLIMATE CHANGE!" because that terminology covers all the bases and they can't be wrong, or so they think.

The problem is that for the past 100+ years we as a species have been no where near the medium, living instead lives of hedonistic irresponsibility.
Ice core samples at both ice caps (or rather what's left of them) have shown not 125-150 years of climate change, but thousands of years of periodic consistency which gives science a baseline for our current climatalogic dilemma: sea levels are rising and the caps are shrinking, along with every single glacier on Earth.
I know you said connecting this situation to a cause is merely political (at least by attacking "liberal" science you made it so), but the change is undeniable, and we ain't helping any.
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/sea-ice-extent-sinks-to-record-lows-at-both-poles
(Admittedly this article is limited by technology in its scope, as it uses satellite imagery, but there are hundreds like it at NASA, the USGS and NOAA, none of which exhibit a liberal bias aside from their use of science...)

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Yesterday for the first time we reached 85F+ in Central Illinois while I was driving my JLUR. AC was full on. The ESS didn’t engage in any of my traffic stops. I was surprised at myself for being a bit disappointed that the engine didn’t shut off. Lol. I drive a manual transmission, so I have a lot of control over the ESS. That may be the reason I actually grown to like the feature.

ThirtyOne

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Yesterday for the first time we reached 85F+ in Central Illinois while I was driving my JLUR. AC was full on. The ESS didn’t engage in any of my traffic stops. I was surprised at myself for being a bit disappointed that the engine didn’t shut off. Lol. I drive a manual transmission, so I have a lot of control over the ESS. That may be the reason I actually grown to like the feature.
I have a manual too. I Also like the feature because i have so much control over it.

RELBUS

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 21 JLUR 392
I think some people just make it a matter of pride to get the worst fuel economy possible. Much like a Coal Roller blowing as much smoke as possible at someone driving a Prius. Now I like diesel trucks, and I seriously considered the Titan XD and the Ram 2500 trucks before settling on the Wrangler, but I would not waste my money on all of these delete kits and chips to just blow smoke and get 10 MPG...
I have been active in the diesel performance community for many years. Sure there are rednecks that roll coal, but the vast majority of us delete for performance and reliability reasons. The enthusiasts really frown upon the coal rolling mentality. Its portrays us all in a bad light, and its made it much harder for us to continue modifying these trucks the way we like.
FWIW ...Only time my truck sees 10mpg when I am headed west doing 85mph with my Jeep in tow.

OP
OP
Sean L

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have been active in the diesel performance community for many years. Sure there are rednecks that roll coal, but the vast majority of us delete for performance and reliability reasons. The enthusiasts really frown upon the coal rolling mentality. Its portrays us all in a bad light, and its made it much harder for us to continue modifying these trucks the way we like.
FWIW ...Only time my truck sees 10mpg when I am headed west doing 85mph with my Jeep in tow.
It's good to see someone with your mentality, as I really do like trucks myself. I even blew away the salesman's "experiance" with a Ram 2500 when he told me I'll never see more than 15 MPG and I finished the test drive on a brand new one at just under 24 MPG average.

I do have a bad experiance with a "Truck Club" that had no respect for common decency. I'm talking about full throttle through the neighborhood with straight pipes at 1 in the morning, and blatant disrespect for anything less than a 2500 diesel... so my 1500 gasser was a "Woman's truck" in their view... So I'm glad to see someone else in that community with some common sense. :like:

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The problem is that for the past 100+ years we as a species have been no where near the medium, living instead lives of hedonistic irresponsibility.
Ice core samples at both ice caps (or rather what's left of them) have shown not 125-150 years of climate change, but thousands of years of periodic consistency which gives science a baseline for our current climatalogic dilemma: sea levels are rising and the caps are shrinking, along with every single glacier on Earth.
I know you said connecting this situation to a cause is merely political (at least by attacking "liberal" science you made it so), but the change is undeniable, and we ain't helping any.
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/sea-ice-extent-sinks-to-record-lows-at-both-poles
(Admittedly this article is limited by technology in its scope, as it uses satellite imagery, but there are hundreds like it at NASA, the USGS and NOAA, none of which exhibit a liberal bias aside from their use of science...)
You’re exactly correct! I actually got to tour a facility in Columbus, Ohio were the ice samples are stored for research. Thinking about water which hasn’t been in liquid for thousands of years is really mind blowing. Scientists also have the ability to analyze rock samples for a bigger view of climate history. For example, the Nepalese government recently allowed Mount Everest climbers to bring back rock samples from the summit. Everest actually gets taller every year and a long, long time ago It was under an ocean. Tectonic plates are pushing it up. So, unlike what @WXman claimed as a limited sample size we actually have hundreds of millions of years worth of data. The consensus is the typical climate cycle of cold and hot trends held steady until the industrial revolution. Since then it has trended hotter at a faster rate than in any point in the fore mentioned hundreds of millions years of data. And it’s increasing as more nations catch up with the other developed countries. Our planet is truly fascinating when you think about it.

http://www.global-climate-change.org.uk/3-3-7.php

Advertisement

Quadratec

Advertisement