Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
You mean like this?
I'd be more nervous about how deep the water was, nice to have a guinea pig in front. It is the woody thick branches that cause damage, that trail seemed to only have new growth at the sides.

I go down a lot of trails like that to get to a hunting spot. The scary thing is hitting a part that is impassible and trying to turn around.

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Unfortunately, I have been through much worse once. That trail sucks a little, but really not that bad.
Doesn't suck at all. That trail is great, just have to get through some tighter sections to get to the actual obstacles.

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Doesn't suck at all. That trail is great, just have to get through some tighter sections to get to the actual obstacles.
The trail itself looks freaking awesome, I wish I was in it now. I was referring to the suckage level of getting trail rash and scratches.

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'd be more nervous about how deep the water was, nice to have a guinea pig in front. It is the woody thick branches that cause damage, that trail seemed to only have new growth at the sides.

I go down a lot of trails like that to get to a hunting spot. The scary thing is hitting a part that is impassible and trying to turn around.
There are a couple of deeper spots. A little trail knowledge gets you through though.
Jeep Wrangler JL How to stop scratches in thick scrub? NOR_Hole

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
There are a couple of deeper spots. A little trail knowledge gets you through though.
Wow. That is deep. 2 cars back I had an $75k Mercedes SUV. Loved it but it definitely was not meant to handle anything more than deep snow.

I was duck hunting on my buddies farm and there was a small river maybe a foot deep I had to drive through. I went through it a few times ok, then it rained and was a few inches deeper. I started through, and the car died in the middle of the river in drive. Had a heck of a time getting in in park so I could start it, I got it started, it limped to the side of the river and died. Meanwhile, farm pickups were going through the river with no problem laughing at my fancy car.

We waited around for hours for it to dry,used lots of starter fluid and got it running. On the way home the car was sputtering and backfiring, the radio was going in and out, lights on and off. Like poltergeist. Made it home about 60 miles away and the car died in my driveway.

Had to flat bed it to the dealer. Turns out Mercedes puts the computers at the bottom of the car and they got flooded and burned out. Six weeks later and $7000 in new computers and I was up and running. Fortunately, with much fighting I was able to get the insurance company to pick up most of the cost.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Buy a 10 year old jeep so new scratch are a badge of honor. Or wait to you $50K+ Jeep is old enough to be your second vehicle.
Mine was 3rd on day one...but I don't want to destroy it to be "cool". Shit happens, but not looking to make it happen.

Sponsored

JeepScrub

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Camaro SS, 2017 Chevy Cruze, 2021 JLU coming
I'm selling a pristine twin turbo Camaro to get my 2021 JLU. I made the switch because I went to TrailHero in St. George last October with a friend in a very well built jeep. By the end, he had new marks on all four wheels and had bumped his fenders against some rocks and such a little also if memory serves.

I can't really imagine having my Jeep and NOT taking it to do those things. I am mentally prepared to make a shift from pristine and perfect to purpose built to take some abuse but thats just me. Only my opinion of course but if you aren't going and hitting trails like that, I think you're missing out on the BEST part of owning a Jeep.

I don't hate on people who build mall crawlers at all. I totally get keeping them purdy because they do look Excellent with a lift and some nice wheels/tires. I'm simply saying that ALL Jeep owners should at least go with someone else at some point. I think they'd fall in love like I did and I was all about autocross and rallies and road racing some also until I got to climb my first obstacle in Chris's Jeep.

To answer OP's question as opposed to addressing those who say not to scratch it.... Clear Bra the sides of the Jeep.

Macaw1

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubi on 1 tons and 40's
It's a Jeep, Who Cares about scratches?
Jeeps are just tools, drive it.

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Wow. That is deep. 2 cars back I had an $75k Mercedes SUV. Loved it but it definitely was not meant to handle anything more than deep snow.

I was duck hunting on my buddies farm and there was a small river maybe a foot deep I had to drive through. I went through it a few times ok, then it rained and was a few inches deeper. I started through, and the car died in the middle of the river in drive. Had a heck of a time getting in in park so I could start it, I got it started, it limped to the side of the river and died. Meanwhile, farm pickups were going through the river with no problem laughing at my fancy car.

We waited around for hours for it to dry,used lots of starter fluid and got it running. On the way home the car was sputtering and backfiring, the radio was going in and out, lights on and off. Like poltergeist. Made it home about 60 miles away and the car died in my driveway.

Had to flat bed it to the dealer. Turns out Mercedes puts the computers at the bottom of the car and they got flooded and burned out. Six weeks later and $7000 in new computers and I was up and running. Fortunately, with much fighting I was able to get the insurance company to pick up most of the cost.
We have a few local trails that have the odd water hole. LOL!