How to stop scratches in thick scrub?

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
This track narrowed to a walking track. I can always drive between the trees but how would I stop scratches? Theoretically, I could mount wire from front fender to rear fender but I don't see an obvious way to mount it.

Jeep Wrangler JL How to stop scratches in thick scrub? scratches

Here we have an example of wire mesh protecting the paint:

Jeep Wrangler JL How to stop scratches in thick scrub? wire

😀
Sponsored

Last edited:

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve always been fascinated when I watch YouTube how guys will knock their bumpers into the tailgate or gouge their aluminum rims on a brand new Jeep. Just for the thrill of off-roading. Not me. I often use the quad trails in upstate NY, it’s beautiful but so is my mint condition Jeep. Many times a trail will get too narrow with brush or trees. I just find another way or find another trail.
My advice to you Joe is find the selection on your shifter that says “reverse”.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Could always look into clear paint protective film and have a shop custom cut pieces for the areas you’re concerned about.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I have been on some trails that narrowed. One in particular was very narrow, with lots of thicker limbed trees and vegetation. At times it sounded like it was peeling the metal from the body panels. We actually decided to reverse course and head back out of it.

The amazing part was, the hard top and fenders have trail rash, but somehow the paint was unscathed. Very lucky I guess.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Dents, scratches and trail damage is part of the experience. If you do not want scratches then i would stay out of the woods and stick to the dunes. :D

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
It just comes with the territory. You can make solid decisions around picking the least damaging trail, but using your Jeep outside of the streets is going to take a toll. If you're truly concerned they make limb riser kits and you can add PPF.

Outside of that you'll just have to wince like the rest of us when you hear branches dragging down the side of your $60k toy. Took the wife's Rubicon out last weekend and it did amazing but it earned a few light stripes down the side at the same time.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Pin stripes can normally be buffed out.. some people like the ceramic coating, not sure how much it really helps.

Sponsored

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
I really don't want to ruin the paint on my 50K+ wrangler because of bushes. Thinking about MEK magnet. Anyone have good/bad experience with this product:
You would have to keep them extremely clean or they can have the opposite effect.

Dirt gets behind the magnets over time and with vibration scratches and wears down the paint its covering. I would keep them extremely clean, apply, hit trails, remove and wash Jeep and magnets. Never apply them when the Jeep is even nominally dirty/dusty.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
You've got three choices: Cut back all the brush, live with scratches or don't go there. I like the idea of the magnetic door covers, please send pics of them on your JL.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Vegetation overgrowth is a common issue on trails here in the Pacific Northwest, due to the nonstop rain and such.

I find applying a good quality wax, paint polish or ceramic hybrid wax BEFORE hitting the trails is a good and easy way to minimize the amount of permanent damage to the paint from branches and over brush.

This is my favorite product at the moment.
Jeep Wrangler JL How to stop scratches in thick scrub? 1614957825193

Other than that, I’ve learned to carry these in the Jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL How to stop scratches in thick scrub? 046561191320_11383466

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Xpel would stop most if it. Self healing too.
This is the correct way to do it. No one even liked it except me lol

A good PPF will go a longgg way to stopping them. In fact I got my Jeep fully covered in PPF except the tailgate. Expensive but I’ve taken scrubbed it against trees and when you wash it looks like a brand new Jeep again.

If you do t want pinstripes that’s the only way to go. Anything else is just ducking around and wasting your time and money IMHO
Sponsored