Same way any FCA push to start car works going back to 2012

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Looks like it uses some RFID/NFC type system as a backup. I'm actually stunned that FCA came up with a solution this elegant.

Lmao! The “so counter” was way more interesting than the content of the video!! :cwl:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Cool. I’ve been asking this question on this forum over the past few months. Why? If I buy a Sport with manual locks and don’t want to carry the fob I can leave it hidden inside the vehicle with the fob battery removed.

Now for my next question. I wonder how many times you can start your Jeep this way? Maybe it only works with the battery removed because the fob has a charged internal capacitor. Once that capacitor is dead maybe this trick no longer works.

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Cool. I’ve been asking this question on this forum over the past few months. Why? If I buy a Sport with manual locks and don’t want to carry the fob I can leave it hidden inside the vehicle with the fob battery removed.

Now for my next question. I wonder how many times you can start your Jeep this way? Maybe it only works with the battery removed because the fob has a charged internal capacitor. Once that capacitor is dead maybe this trick no longer works.
I was thinking that maybe it works the same way tapping your chip debit card on a payment scanner works. I don't think your debit card has a battery or capacitor in it storing charge.

Of course, I'm just speculating here and I don't really know.

But if that is the case then you can start the jeep as long as the jeep's batteries are charged fine.

P.S. Amiibos work similarly and don't need batteries: http://time.com/3591835/nintendo-amiibo/

So I think the battery is just there for long range activation.

Sponsored

Chuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon M/T 2dr, 2009 Nissan Xterra Off Road M/T with a 2" lift
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for sharing this! It eases some of my concerns, but I still don't understand why so many car companies are so hellbent on installing push-button starts. Call me old fashioned, but I still prefer a physical key. Though, I have to admit, my key-turning muscles are pretty ripped, so I guess I should be more sympathetic to those who can only muster enough energy to push a button.

I still wonder if this "backup" works if the fob gets soaked. Last fall, my wife and I did some off-roading to slot canyons in Utah, and on a couple occasions we almost slipped into water. I also live in Washington state, so being caught in a rainstorm is always a concern. I guess I'll just have to start getting used to putting my fob in a ziploc. I just want to be able to start my Jeep when I'm dozens of miles away from a gas station or a cell signal.

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I’ve heard of jeep being stolen using signal enhancers from folks driveways.

Thinking about a long term cross country trip, maybe a decent security option to prevent such unfortunate events could be to remove the battery in the fob all together.

Grace213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Only works if the batteries are good in the Jeep, especially the baby aux battery.
Sponsored