OP
    Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    '07 A4 Quattro, '19 Ram Rebel
    Liked:
    Shame you're not local, owe ya a beer for improving on what I wrote.

Folks went down to DC for the inauguration (Trump) and prices for things in the mall were insane, as in nice clothes were a couple Grand when you go to the other mall outside dc and same item is what we'd normally pay for them.

Also remember seeing a documentary or special talking about how Lambo dealer's were complaining how they'd pay for them in cash as well.

I'll look for a link on it later, but as we said, they shouldn't be millionaires and the ruling class when all they are are public servants.
    Hell, I want those who became millionaires to be forced to pay it back one way or other, made examples of so future politicians know their place (also why we can't have anymore lawyers who know how to write laws and exploit loopholes)

CarbonSteel likes this.
  2. pablo_max3045

pablo_max3045 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Rubicon
    Liked:
    Engineering project manager
    It's likely not so cut and dry, though if we had all the numbers I guess it would be a simple cost / benefit calculation. To be honest, I have no idea if there is a net benefit in terms of dollar values.
    Consider.
    Illegals who "game" the system, or do not game the system, but do collect tax dollars for this or that reason. Of course this is money which goes out of the coffers.
    Then there is those illegals which are involved in crimes, ranging from petty theft, auto crashes without insurance all the way up to murder.
    Though, with the latter, those tend to be mainly directed towards others in the socioeconomic group i.e. other illegals , rival gang members and the like.
    Naturally, this also costs the tax payer money directly through taxes or through increased insurance premiums.
    I would guess those are the main costs to the tax payer.

The contributions would be:
    Payroll taxes. Yes, they are illegal, but the farmers who mainly employ them do so against fake SSNs in order to avoid having the appearance of too little "real" workers. Things like Social security are paid into, but of course never collected at retirement.
    Sales taxes. Though given their low earning, this likely may not contribute that much.
    The biggest thing which we can "feel" in our pocket books is cost of goods. Since many factories and nearly all farms use this source of extremely cheap labor, the cost of food and goods is significantly lower than it otherwise would be.
    If food went up by 20% as a result of paying a good wage to the workers, I suspect that this would break many people. Especially the elderly who are on fixed incomes. One should not forget that when the old folks were younger, they were sold on SS. That they only needed to pay in to that and they would be taken care of in their old age.
    You can't just let all the working poor and old folks die, so this would also increase the amount needed to take care of Americans.

20% is just a wild ass guess though. I have no idea how much the prices would increase for goods. I am sure some government agency has calculated it though, which is likely why they do not try all that hard to stop them coming.

In many cases it is also pretty bad for the illegals who come. Many actually get bonded into slavery. There was some program on a couple years ago dealing with the amazing high slavery rate for immigrant farmers.

I would agree that people need to come legally. That's clear. But.... I think you cannot just "close the gate" without it causing significant economic damage. A lot of the things would need time to adjust.

3. pablo_max3045

pablo_max3045 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Rubicon
    Liked:
    Engineering project manager
    I would temper that by saying it is only a "general statement". I think there are circumstances where people generally cannot work anymore and for these people, I have no problem for the collective tax payer to care for them to get the help they need.
    As an example, years ago I used to do volunteer work with a homeless shelter in the LA area. So rough people there..let me tell you.
    Anyhow, one of the guys I came to know, who was probably 15 years older than me, but looked 40 years older.
    In his old life, he was a surgeon specializing in something to do with kids. I did not get all the details, but somehow it accidentally did something wrong during the surgery and the little girl died in what should have been a routine operation.
    It apparently broke him. Lost his life and his sanity.
    There was a similar story with a guy who a driver for the subway. One morning a girl decided to kill herself by jumping in front of his train, smashing against the window a foot in front of him. He also never recovered mentally and was on the streets.
    For things like this, I think a person needs to be a pretty cold bastard to to have the opinion to just let them starve.
    Not implying that is your opinion.. just making a general statement.

4. Dagwood

Dagwood Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
    Liked:
    Americans are the most generous people on the planet, when someone in need is down they will be there to lift them up. When someone is in need they should turn to family then to their church and finally if needed turn to local government, never any further. By keeping it local you have a better chance of knowing need from gaming the system.

It also promotes strong family and faith, the two things government wants to kill. An ever growing government wants you to turn to government for everything so it can continue to grow. One who turns to family and faith has no use for government.

UKCATS and Rogues Gambit like this.