Sponsored

How to setup my small fridge to run for a day and not hurt the battery.

JAF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have a small 20 quart fridge (F40C4TMP) that I use for day trips or an overnighter at most. Right now I have it plugged into the rear 12v port and I have it on the max voltage saving setting so I don't hurt the battery. Running it this way I have noticed a few times where it stops running because of the voltage drop. What would be the best way to solve this? I have the 3.6 with etorque so I only have the single battery. The draw from the fridge is only 45watts. Would I be better off running larger wire (ie. ARB wire kit) directly to the battery? Or buying a Jackery 240 or 500 with the fridge plugged into that and having the Jackery plugged into the Jeep. I know I'll get stone for this but I don't really see me using the Jackery for much else (no drone, laptop, or batteries to keep charged) thus the hesitation going this route. The number one main concern is not to drain the Jeep's battery, and second is to keep the fridge going. Which of these two would you recommend or something else I'm missing?

Thanks
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I have a small 20 quart fridge (F40C4TMP) that I use for day trips or an overnighter at most. Right now I have it plugged into the rear 12v port and I have it on the max voltage saving setting so I don't hurt the battery. Running it this way I have noticed a few times where it stops running because of the voltage drop. What would be the best way to solve this? I have the 3.6 with etorque so I only have the single battery. The draw from the fridge is only 45watts. Would I be better off running larger wire (ie. ARB wire kit) directly to the battery? Or buying a Jackery 240 or 500 with the fridge plugged into that and having the Jackery plugged into the Jeep. I know I'll get stone for this but I don't really see me using the Jackery for much else (no drone, laptop, or batteries to keep charged) thus the hesitation going this route. The number one main concern is not to drain the Jeep's battery, and second is to keep the fridge going. Which of these two would you recommend or something else I'm missing?

Thanks
If you aren't running it every day, and it's just a weekend thing I think a Jackery is a fine option. Alternately you could install an auxiliary battery or dual battery kit but they're expensive.

Chacalou

First Name
Pascal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
If you aren't running it every day, and it's just a weekend thing I think a Jackery is a fine option. Alternately you could install an auxiliary battery or dual battery kit but they're expensive.
Yea right a jackery really is so practical.

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

For a day I'd think a smaller Jackery (or similar) would work just fine.....like the 300 or so if you're just looking for a day.

I went with a 500 and have gotten an easy 48 hours in the hottest of hot so far. as many as 5 days when it was cooler.

I plug it into the inverter in the jeep so it charges while driving.

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
A Jackery or other power station is a good option, but over 4 Jeeps and about 10 years I ran my ARB 50 with ARB wiring kit, off of the battery in the Jeep for usually 2 nights between driving or running the engine. Your voltage drop is probably related to the sizing of the wire. The wiring kit and a new battery if yours is questionable would work fine especially if its just for a day here and there.
Since we were staying stationary longer sometimes and using a small electric heater in the cold weather as well as a coffee pot, I upgraded to the Bluetti EB240 with a Bluetti SP200 solar panel....very nice set up but way overkill for a day or even a weekend trip.

Thanks

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yea right a jackery really is so practical.
Exactly, and they're not a one trick pony. Like, power's out at your house, Jackery. You out camping and need some power, Jackery. Extension cord too short, Jackery.

Chacalou

First Name
Pascal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Exactly, and they're not a one trick pony. Like, power's out at your house, Jackery. You out camping and need some power, Jackery. Extension cord too short, Jackery.
Any air compressor that could be plug to jackery ?

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Depends on the Jackery I suppose. They start at 240 watts and go up to 2000 I think. Theoretically you could bring a 120 volt shop compressor with the 2000. I don't know if the 12v is rated for enough on any of them to run much more than a department store "tire inflator"

I did get a Viair with battery clips for like $60 that worked well for my 35's, but you had to pop the hood to use it

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I believe most power stations are 10 amps draw max, unless it has a high amp output from the battery any air compressor that would run on it would have to be fairly small, some of the larger power stations may be able to run one on the AC output but I'm not sure.

OP
OP
JAF1

JAF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
So I went ahead an ordered a Jackery 500 this morning. What is the best way to recharge it in the Jeep. 12V socket in the rear with it fused to only supply power while running? Via the 120V socket at the rear of the console? Or run a heavier 12V wire to the rear and run it off that? Again, I don't want this to drain power while the Jeep is turned off.

Thanks!

Sponsored

Chacalou

First Name
Pascal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Depends on the Jackery I suppose. They start at 240 watts and go up to 2000 I think. Theoretically you could bring a 120 volt shop compressor with the 2000. I don't know if the 12v is rated for enough on any of them to run much more than a department store "tire inflator"

I did get a Viair with battery clips for like $60 that worked well for my 35's, but you had to pop the hood to use it
Thank you jeepeto

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I run mine on med and its never stopped. I leave fridge in 24/7 on trips. Though usually drive everyday. I have left it for a few days at time at home and its never even spun slow.

Btw, there is alot better options than Jackery. In case you can cancel.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
BTW you got alot of questions, and the answers aren't short or simple.

Look up Hobotech on youtube. Lots of answers for you. But they are long videos usually.

Lots of research for you to do.

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

I use the 120v inverter to do it as stated. It works well and I dont have to worry about it draining the jeep when parked. I keep the jackery on the floor behind the driver seat and run the 12v line to my fridge along the door jamb in into the rear. Many ways to skin the cat.

One_off

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2d Gecko Gr + 2021 Rubicon 2 White
Run your fridge on the 12v output from the Jackery.
It will be way more efficient to run it on 12v vs 110v out of the jackery.
When u travel run the fridge off the jeep outlets. 12v or 110. Then when you stop plug it into the 12v on the jackery. Charging the jackery o 12v or 110 doesn't matter.
Sponsored