Sponsored

How to secure rear spare wheel?

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Hi all,

I haven't made too many posts here but in the ones I've had I've mentioned how where I live is essentially crime-ridden and how so many of my vehicles over the years have been broken into or outright stolen - and so I've already installed a Bolt Hood Lock and front and rear dash-cams...

Less than a week after getting the dash cams installed - i have footage of someone walking around in our underground parking, and then stopping to take photos of vehicles, my Jeep included. This is similar to what happened a few years ago then my vehicle was stolen within 2 weeks.

I always provide the footage to police but nothing they can do without a crime committed...

At this time I just want to secure the rear wheel as best as possible and am looking for ideas to try and prevent the rear wheel from being taken off easily. I know if someone wants something they will get it - but - anything to slow people down is worth it.

This is a photo from the rear dashcam - zoomed in hence the low quality here. Of course everyone wears masks where I live so...

Ideas appreciated, My rear wheel is just bolted on with 3/5 bolts as from factory...

Jeep Wrangler JL How to secure rear spare wheel? Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 7.41.10 PM
Sponsored

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
you could try a locking lug nut, but if they want it they'll find a way to take it.

if it were me and crime is that bad where you live, i'd relocate to somewhere safer. just my opinion.

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if it were me and crime is that bad where you live, i'd relocate to somewhere safer. just my opinion.
I should mention it's only property crime that is bad - violence etc is totally minimal. Just happen to be a lot of bad seeds around ever since they built a public train system coming to where near I live...

There are 16 apartment buildings on my street - only 2 do not have locked parking - I'm in one of those Ugh...

It sucks, but it's just part of my life for now. Thanks for the locking nuts suggestion.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I think it really comes down to how much damage do you want them to do to your vehicle to get at something.

You could put a hard cover over your spare and lock that, run some wire through your wheels and to the carrier and lock it. Of course a determined thief will either break stuff trying to get at it and do further damage or have bolt cutters, etc... Locking lugs can be defeated by a tire iron and a hammer.

Sometimes those things are a deterrent because it takes them more time but if someone is taking pictures they will be prepared when they come back.

Good luck and make sure you have good insurance.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Locking lug nut is a good idea. You could double up security by putting a cable lock through the spokes and bracket. Basically a bicycle lock will do. May not look great, but slows the thief down, and some times that's enough to get them to move on to someone else's vehicle.

Sponsored

JaayyyeeeE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi all,

I haven't made too many posts here but in the ones I've had I've mentioned how where I live is essentially crime-ridden and how so many of my vehicles over the years have been broken into or outright stolen - and so I've already installed a Bolt Hood Lock and front and rear dash-cams...

Less than a week after getting the dash cams installed - i have footage of someone walking around in our underground parking, and then stopping to take photos of vehicles, my Jeep included. This is similar to what happened a few years ago then my vehicle was stolen within 2 weeks.

I always provide the footage to police but nothing they can do without a crime committed...

At this time I just want to secure the rear wheel as best as possible and am looking for ideas to try and prevent the rear wheel from being taken off easily. I know if someone wants something they will get it - but - anything to slow people down is worth it.

This is a photo from the rear dashcam - zoomed in hence the low quality here. Of course everyone wears masks where I live so...

Ideas appreciated, My rear wheel is just bolted on with 3/5 bolts as from factory...

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 7.41.10 PM.jpg
Aren't you being a little paranoid? That just looks like a nurse checking out your ride. Jeeps are the mall crawler of choice for nurses where I live.
I have mine secured with the Mopar locks on all 3 lugs, YouTube video showed it took a few minutes longer to defeat than all others, but if they want it bad enough it doesn't really matter, which is why I added $2500 to my insurance policy for wheel/tire package (only $5 more a month for piece of mind).

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aren't you being a little paranoid? That just looks like a nurse checking out your ride. Jeeps are the mall crawler of choice for nurses where I live.
I have mine secured with the Mopar locks on all 3 lugs, YouTube video showed it took a few minutes longer to defeat than all others, but if they want it bad enough it doesn't really matter, which is why I added $2500 to my insurance policy for wheel/tire package (only $5 more a month for piece of mind).
Absolutely being paranoid. I have two vehicles now - last time one was broken into was 3 weeks ago.

5 vehicle break-ins, and 2 motorcycles stolen from that very spot in the past 7 years... It gets to you :CWL: Good to hear about extra insurance... I've actually never even heard of anything like that - bit sure if it's a thing here in Canada but I'll look into that thx.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
What about just removing the spare?
Do you have AAA?
Do you often travel far from home?
When was the last time you had a flat?

Sponsored

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've done the same - added 3 locking lugs.

Hunter
Thanks - seems to be the thing to do... And if I can buy a little time that's all I'm looking for. It's well lit, and usually someone about so a few minutes could help.

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What about just removing the spare?
Do you have AAA?
Do you often travel far from home?
When was the last time you had a flat?
Valid suggestion thanks!

But on the weekends I am actually out on FSRs and well off the grid, and I do need to be able to help myself on those trips. It's a piece of mind backup I'd rather not be without...

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Locking lugs is about the only practical thing. You might consider 2 or 3 different types if you’re really concerned about spare theft.

If you encounter the person you recorded, speak to them and mention that you saw them admiring your Jeep on the recording you made with your rear camera. You’re flattered and would love to answer any questions they may have. Their reaction will tell you whether they were just admiring your vehicles or if they have bad intent.

If it were a viable option for you to live in a safer/nicer place I presume you would, so I won’t insult you by telling you to just move. Stay vigilant. Make sure you’re adequately insured on your comprehensive coverage and perhaps choose a lower deductible if you feel like a theft/vandalism loss is likely.

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I have 3 locking lugs and I also have a Bolt Cable Lock. Cable lock uses the Jeep ignition/door key (convenient) and wraps around 1 wheel spoke and tire carrier. Excess cable tucks behind wheel. Only part of the cable which is visible is a small piece around the wheel spoke. It makes me feel more comfortable.
Sponsored