OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Buy a gun, sleep in your jeep, shoot the thief. The world is a better place for your actions.
I'm in Canada. No guns up here that I know of :CWL:
Sponsored

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have 3 locking lugs and I also have a Bolt Cable Lock. Cable lock uses the Jeep ignition/door key (convenient) and wraps around 1 wheel spoke and tire carrier. Excess cable tucks behind wheel. Only part of the cable which is visible is a small piece around the wheel spoke. It makes me feel more comfortable.
Right the Bolt Cable lock - I saw that when buying my Bolt hood lock... thanks for reminding me.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I’m an old country boy, consider an electric fence charger, battery hidden and lead to the wheel. I’d would be an “enlightening” experience for your would be thief when they grabbed it. The use of locking lugs on ALL wheels is a very good idea. A couple dudes with 4 concrete blocks, a valve core tool and a 4way lug wrench can make off with ALL your wheels and tires in 5 minutes. A locking lug will seriously impede that,
likely to the point a thief will just go for an easier target with less work involved, (unless you have REALLY special wheels/tires)

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
If you're that worried, store the spare in the vehicle? Though it won't help you if they're willing to break your window. Not sure the parking situation but you could back in against a wall - get nice and close so they couldn't take it if they wanted to!

Sponsored

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
Do a reverse park. With the tyre up against a wall they cannot get to it.
Best idea yet.

Also, locking lugs really aren't difficult to get off without the key socket. A socket hammered over the locking nut is all it takes to get them off. I had to do it a couple of times on my sons Subaru after he lost the key. I was surprised how quick and easy it was to get them off the first time I tried it.

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wish I parked against a wall - but as luck would have it I'm completely exposed in my underground. The photo I posted on the first post here - that is the view from my rear camera - that's what is behind me. Sometimes there's a car there but otherwise wide open...

I've gotten some good ideas from all your help though - thank you all. I have been looking at locking and splined lug nuts...

There's only 3 bolts in the rear wheel - maybe 3 different splined lugs :LOL:

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Do you have a personalized personalized license plate, funny stickers, anything they might have liked and wanted to take a picture of?

Sponsored

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a personalized personalized license plate, funny stickers, anything they might have liked and wanted to take a picture of?
Good questions but sadly no... It's just stock with nothing standing out...

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just for reference - I'll add this.

I've lived in this building for 13 years - and it's not a large building. 45 suites. I know practically everyone here by name and get along with everyone well. I introduce myself to everyone new who moves in (I'm not the only one whose had vehicles broken into over the years - we're all friendly with each other) and everyone helps each other out.

Not only did I not recognize this person, but I posted their photo down by the mailbox 5 days ago in our lobby which everyone goes to - asking if anyone knows who this is becasue I found their behaviour curious (remember it's not just that photo i have - that's a screen grab I took - I have the videos of them walking through the underground parking).

I've had neighbours call me since then asking if I've heard anything yet - but nothing. Either no one knows who this person is - or someone does and for some reason is embarrassed to tell me.

So - it's just one of those situations where your gut is telling you something is off... There was no reason for that person to be walking around in the underground parking...

All your posts have been awesome though - thank you. It's always helpful to just have voices outside your head pint you in different directions!

OP
OP
McGilli

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're looking at locking lug nuts, then I'd say buy the Mopar ones based on this video.

Fantastic... Appreciate you posting this!

JaayyyeeeE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Also, locking lugs really aren't difficult to get off without the key socket. A socket hammered over the locking nut is all it takes to get them off. I had to do it a couple of times on my sons Subaru after he lost the key. I was surprised how quick and easy it was to get them off the first time I tried it.
Wheel locks are not meant to stop thieves, just a deterrent (they see it and hopefully move on to something easier/faster), the video posted above is the reason I went with Mopar locks, they can be defeated too but seem to take a little longer because of the spinning ring.
Sponsored