Sponsored

How to secure items if you don’t have a security deck

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
My question for those saying, that the cubby is secure when the tailgate is closed. If the top is off, whats to stop someone from reaching in , pushing the lock button and opening the tailgate?
If anything, that would just lock it more - but I'm not sure what would happen if they press "unlock" ;)

J/K - but seriously, this is good to know, as I was just telling my wife the other day that it bothers me that my JK's cubby was lockable but the JL's is not. I had no idea the tailgate closed over it!
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
What is this that you speak of? Got pics?
The next time I go grocery shopping I will snap a pic just for you.

However, this method is simply to secure items so that they don't fly away while naked, not to be confused with securing items from theft.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
This is a great set up. Highly recommend. $415 is a bunch cheaper than $700 . It also comes apart fairly easy if you found yourself out and about and needed to carry something large back home . Where a tool box or job box wouldn’t be collapsible. Only mod I made to mine is drill a bunch of holes in the solid panel to let the bass from my alpine sub escape & some wrap on top.

DDD1F77B-4D25-4DBC-A823-B760BEF0F410.png

9512EA99-8CE2-4D6A-BD16-A4D17E2EE012.jpeg
Nice wrap job

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I remembered I already had a cable lock. The thick coiled cable is store bought. The thin green cable is home made.

rear security.jpg

PJJEEPER

First Name
Pamela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
recently installed the Tuffy JL tailgate lockbox - amazon $290
very pleased with it and bonus is that it sits on top of under carpet trap door storage thus protecting those contents as well (with tailgate locked closed)
if you get one do not follow their instructions and waste time as I did
do not reinstall plastic tailgate covers and do not use included spacers
do use rubber, self stick weather stripping applied to entire rear outer edges of box
this will result in a rattle free, tight fit
I am a critical incident (ASI) responder and feel good about securing my necessary "tools"- also installed an alarm on the tuffy door for an extra precaution that is not necessary for most users
LOL, I love the alarm idea. Where did you get that? Is it like one of those you'd put on a window at home, where it if opens, it sets off an alarm?
Sponsored