Sponsored

How to Secure a Subwoofer? Brainstorm with me?

aestes89

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Infrastructure Analyst
Hey guys, kind of thinking out loud here trying to come up with the best way to add some low-end sound to my Jeep.
I've seen some of the under-seat all-in-one amp and 8" sub combo units in threads, but for the same $250 or so, you can get a lot more power for the same price, if you're willing to sacrifice convenience and size.

Amazon has an Alpine MRV-500 (300w4ohm/500w5ohm) mono amp that measures about 10"x10" for $110. I can hide it under the passenger seat easily, so no worries there.

However, I can't decide what route to go for a sub enclosure. After measuring, I can't find a shallow mount box small enough to fit under the rear seat. I could do a full-size enclosure for a single 10" or 12" in the trunk area, but securing it is worrisome. I could bolt the box directly to the wheel "hump", as much as it pains me to drill into a new Jeep.

I could also just velcro a fullsize enclosure to the carpet, although, this does nothing to deter theft. If I'm in a public parking space with the top down, anyone can just reach in and pick it up.

I've also heard of a few people mounting a shallow mount box directly to the tailgate. If I went this route, can any speak to how difficult it would be to secure a generic shallow mount box to it?

What is everyone else doing. Can't imagine I'm alone in trying to come up with the cleanest, most secure method. Thanks!
Sponsored

lagunajim

Hey guys, kind of thinking out loud here trying to come up with the best way to add some low-end sound to my Jeep.
I've seen some of the under-seat all-in-one amp and 8" sub combo units in threads, but for the same $250 or so, you can get a lot more power for the same price, if you're willing to sacrifice convenience and size.

Amazon has an Alpine MRV-500 (300w4ohm/500w5ohm) mono amp that measures about 10"x10" for $110. I can hide it under the passenger seat easily, so no worries there.

However, I can't decide what route to go for a sub enclosure. After measuring, I can't find a shallow mount box small enough to fit under the rear seat. I could do a full-size enclosure for a single 10" or 12" in the trunk area, but securing it is worrisome. I could bolt the box directly to the wheel "hump", as much as it pains me to drill into a new Jeep.

I could also just velcro a fullsize enclosure to the carpet, although, this does nothing to deter theft. If I'm in a public parking space with the top down, anyone can just reach in and pick it up.

I've also heard of a few people mounting a shallow mount box directly to the tailgate. If I went this route, can any speak to how difficult it would be to secure a generic shallow mount box to it?

What is everyone else doing. Can't imagine I'm alone in trying to come up with the cleanest, most secure method. Thanks!
I just want to caution you - the rear tailgate will VIBRATE and make unpleasant noise if you attach a sub to it, or even put one near it. I say this from experience.

OP
OP
aestes89

aestes89

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Infrastructure Analyst
I just want to caution you - the rear tailgate will VIBRATE and make unpleasant noise if you attach a sub to it, or even put one near it. I say this from experience.
LOL this is why I thought it would be smart to ask the community first! That sounds awful, so I'm going to go ahead and scrap that idea!

lagunajim

You can put a box in the space behind the rear seat pointed rearward, but you might then need to suppress any errant sounds from the tailgate, spare tire mount, 3rd brake light.. not un-doable.

I've read that people have gone with a shallow sub in the cargo compartment the way Jeep itself does it in the OEM system..

Upgrading Jeep stereos has always been a challenge. Replacing the factory speakers with expensive aftermarket did a lot for me. I found out there's a big difference between a $140 pair of speakers for the roll-bar-enclosure and a $300 pair. Big difference.

OP
OP
aestes89

aestes89

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Infrastructure Analyst
You can put a box in the space behind the rear seat pointed rearward, but you might then need to suppress any errant sounds from the tailgate, spare tire mount, 3rd brake light.. not un-doable.

I've read that people have gone with a shallow sub in the cargo compartment the way Jeep itself does it in the OEM system..

Upgrading Jeep stereos has always been a challenge. Replacing the factory speakers with expensive aftermarket did a lot for me. I found out there's a big difference between a $140 pair of speakers for the roll-bar-enclosure and a $300 pair. Big difference.
I've thought about that too, although finding an enclosure to fit that space correctly would be challenging and fiberglassing my own would be a lot of work I'm unfamiliar with. Following the budget-build advice in other threads, I've updated the 2.5's to the Infinity 3.5's in the dash and bar. Left the 4" speakers factory as sounds like consensus is they're ok. Really just looking to add some low end at the moment, although you're right, you get what you pay for!

I'd really like to add a sub or two under the rear seat. They'd be hidden, further from the tailgate to avoid rattle, but with all the metal "legs" underneath in an odd pattern, it's hard to find a spot.

I've been looking at these:
http://www.lifeafterbass.com/labprsetmdfe.html
or
http://www.lifeafterbass.com/labprdomdfen.html

Unless my math is off (LxWxH / 1,728), these boxes would be tiny enough to squeeze under there, but still offer 0.5+ cubic feet most shallow subs seem to recommend. Maybe these would work?

Ugh I just wish there were more custom-fit enclosures on the market. Guess the new Wrangler is just still too new!

Sponsored

lagunajim

You should look at “bass shakers” for auto sound too. I had them once under the front seats of a sports car in place of a sub and they were great.

lagunajim

Here's a random link to the kind of device I'm referring to. There was no place to put a sub in a high-end sports car I had (a Maserati actually..), and this was the perfect solution! The trunk in that car was so small that putting a sub there would've made the tiny trunk literally unusable.

http://www.asiaonlinestore.com/prod...r-for-diy-massage-home-theater-car-seat-sofa/

" The Pro Bass Shaker was originally designed for automotive applications to produce big car subwoofer bass without taking up valuable space in the trunk of your car. The Pro Bass Shaker is ideal for convertibles and sports cars, where installing a large car stereo subwoofer is not practical. "

From a car audio forum:

icon1.gif
Re: What's the consensus on Bass Shakers (tactile transducers)
I used a pair of Aura ones in a single cab Ranger back in the mid 90's. Just front comps and those which were side by side in the center of the back cab wall. I honestly couldn't believe the performance of those things.
Outside the truck you couldn't "hear" a thing...inside your eyes would go out of focus.
The shop I bought them from used my truck as a demo and sold tons of them based on how mine sounded...felt...whatever. LOL

lagunajim

If you put any enclosure in there, especially under or partially under the seat, the last thing I'd worry about is how to secure it to the floor of the Jeep. They won't move around - subs have pretty heavy magnets. And I don't know for where you live, but people here don't reach into other's cars to steal their sub boxes.

I've always had my sub boxes custom fabricated by the guys at the audio shop, or they use a stock one they have..

Last edited by a moderator:

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
I have a JBL GT Bass-Pro 12 in my Jeep. Drilled a hole in the box, put an eyebolt in the hole, and can lock it to the cargo ring in the back. That way, if I'm camping, I can pull it out for more gear space if I need it. I use a 175D Master Lock.

Tavox

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I used to have a very thin prebuilt Rockford woofer and box mounted on my tailgate on my JK. Had to for a few years and never had an issue.
I did have to drill holes and remove the black plastic.
Two steel 45 degree brackets on the bottom, and the small ones on the side that came with the box..
Had the amp under my drivers seat. Enclosed and hidden.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
If you put any enclosure in there, especially under or partially under the seat, the last thing I'd worry about is how to secure it to the floor of the Jeep. They won't move around - subs have pretty heavy magnets. And I don't know for where you live, but people here don't reach into other's cars to steal their sub boxes.

I've always had my sub boxes custom fabricated by the guys at the audio shop, or they use a stock one they have..
I explored just about every option and ended up using 2 sheet metal screws to attach a 2x6 piece of untreated lumber under the carpet and to wheel well as a flush mounting hoard. I screwed my sub box to the mounting board with 2 wood screws. It fits flush and isnt going anywhere like this:
skgRG3U.jpg

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I also attached a JL audio 8 inch self powered sub toi my tailgate using Z channel extrusion and bolts. A small degree of fabrication skill is required to match drill the channel and do the spacing.... I used the pickup bolts for the tailgate tie down rails under the trim. No rattles at all at full volume. It can also be removed easily with the tailgate open. It is pretty burly and would be hardish to steal without opening the tailgate.

6F5A7EF4-9D6E-43F7-832D-24BF6E2F74A6.jpeg

EB45153A-7D1F-4EA6-BFA8-DCE3545DE538.jpeg

89A70565-E2D4-4951-8497-98556E8E2A4A.jpeg

JLsport2019

LaGunaJim.

What $300 pair of speakers do you recommend (more MIDS sound) for the Rear sound bar?

I have JLaudio 4" & 1.75" TWEETERS on front dash and in lower kick panel.
I have too much HIGHS. I need MIDS

Fa1321tx

First Name
Floyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Hey guys I know this is an older thread but the title is still relevant. I am exploring my options for the subwoofer location as well. This is my first jeep in the past I always had crew cab trucks so default location was under the rear seat.

I do not want to shell the $$$ for the JL Audio stealth box but I admit its a pretty sweet solution.

I see some mixed thoughts on tailgate mounts and rattling drives me crazy. This tailgate mounted box on ebay which has the perfect airspace for my RF shallow mount 10". I am wondering if I used dynamat on the tailgate before installing the box maybe the chances of rattles would be greatly diminished?

I just found this under the rear seat box on ebay too. I have been happy with one 10" subwoofer so maybe the second side can be used for an amp rack.

Last edited:

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
I just found this under the rear seat box on ebay too. I have been happy with one 10" subwoofer so maybe the second side can be used for an amp rack.
The box looks like a great solution if it actually fits the JL. The rear seats in my JL do not fold up, they have brackets that bolt them to the floor. Someone could make a box that fits under the back seats. I’ll take some measurements this weekend and see how much room there is.
I looked at making some boxes to mount some shallow 8” midbass speakers under the front seats. It could be done, but would take some fiberglass and trial and error to make them fit. I’ve got another idea for the 8” speakers, but I need to pick a few materials up from Home Depot.
Sponsored