Sponsored

How to Secure a Subwoofer? Brainstorm with me?

Fa1321tx

First Name
Floyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
The box looks like a great solution if it actually fits the JL. The rear seats in my JL do not fold up, they have brackets that bolt them to the floor. Someone could make a box that fits under the back seats. I’ll take some measurements this weekend and see how much room there is.
I have not confirmed what the seller said below but I ask for a photo of one in the JL. I also fold my seats down often to load larger items so the box needs to be easily removed. That is why I liked the Q bomb boxes under the seats in my trucks in the past. Small footprint easily removed and plenty of bass for my needs.

the ebay seller replied with the following:

New message from: danie_romei (78
iconBlueStar_25x25.gif
)

Hello thank you for your interest! Yes it fits the JL but unfortunately I don't have any pics yet installed in a JL but have sized it and sold to multiple JL customers. The seat legs for the rear seat get unbolted and folded into the Jeep seat ( if you look under your seat you'll see indentions where Jeep has designed the legs to do this), that's why you don't see the legs. This is done to give as much room as possible for your subs and give the front a flush look so it doesn't stand out. Any other questions just let me know!
Sponsored

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Anyone have a good idea for a 2 door. I’ll be getting a custom fit box for a 12” kicker l7 and with the noise I plan to make would love an idea of fitting a functioning lock or bolt down with the install? Do not want to drill into the Jeep but am willing to drill into the carpet/ wood cubby cover. Or a metal cubby cover if there’s one available

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
I have not confirmed what the seller said below but I ask for a photo of one in the JL. I also fold my seats down often to load larger items so the box needs to be easily removed. That is why I liked the Q bomb boxes under the seats in my trucks in the past. Small footprint easily removed and plenty of bass for my needs
I just looked under the back seat. The brackets that bolt to the floor and support the seat could be removed. I’m guessing the seat would still need support, which the box could provide. The box could be slid out allowing the seats to still fold flat. That may be a good solution, which I’ll look into doing, but it won’t be for a while. If anyone else tries this I’d be interested in the results.

Fa1321tx

First Name
Floyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I just looked under the back seat. The brackets that bolt to the floor and support the seat could be removed. I’m guessing the seat would still need support, which the box could provide. The box could be slid out allowing the seats to still fold flat. That may be a good solution, which I’ll look into doing, but it won’t be for a while. If anyone else tries this I’d be interested in the results.
Thanks for checking that out I got my Jeep back last night :sun:. I would love to get something like you are describing too. I am terrible with carpentry stuff and would need plans to pull a box like this off. You think software like this would work to design one that fits?

Here is another design software I have seen Doug on Amplified use https://www.subwoofer-builder.com/WinISD.htm

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven’t used any software for box building before. It’s nice to be able to model a box virtually before building it and tailor it for the response you want. When I quit installing professionally about 15 years ago it would have been a great help!
The best way to build the box would be a combination of fiberglass and wood. I’d prefer to down fire the speakers but you could fire them up into the seat. Do you want a ported or sealed box for one or two woofers?

Sponsored

Fa1321tx

First Name
Floyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Do you want a ported or sealed box for one or two woofers?
I was just doing research on that question. I been considering a single 10" ported box. I had a friend years ago that had an 8" JL audio in a ported box that hit so hard yet very clean. I never forgot that so I been considering ported. I wish I had the fiberglass skills to make a custom box for under the seat.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
I was just doing research on that question. I been considering a single 10" ported box. I had a friend years ago that had an 8" JL audio in a ported box that hit so hard yet very clean. I never forgot that so I been considering ported. I wish I had the fiberglass skills to make a custom box for under the seat.
Highly recommend jl audio. Really great bass from small enclosures with low watt take! My 10” bass wedge was perfect for stock system. 2 10s and you’ll have to upgrade.. had both in my 2 door. Great fitment aswell snug to the tailgate and seat for hard removal if someone attempted to steal!

Fa1321tx

First Name
Floyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Highly recommend jl audio. Really great bass from small enclosures with low watt take! My 10” bass wedge was perfect for stock system. 2 10s and you’ll have to upgrade.. had both in my 2 door. Great fitment aswell snug to the tailgate and seat for hard removal if someone attempted to steal!
You mind linking some examples of what JL boxes you are recommending?

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Last edited:

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Just enough space to store my summer cover

Sponsored

jcardenas7196

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler 4 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, kind of thinking out loud here trying to come up with the best way to add some low-end sound to my Jeep.
I've seen some of the under-seat all-in-one amp and 8" sub combo units in threads, but for the same $250 or so, you can get a lot more power for the same price, if you're willing to sacrifice convenience and size.

Amazon has an Alpine MRV-500 (300w4ohm/500w5ohm) mono amp that measures about 10"x10" for $110. I can hide it under the passenger seat easily, so no worries there.

However, I can't decide what route to go for a sub enclosure. After measuring, I can't find a shallow mount box small enough to fit under the rear seat. I could do a full-size enclosure for a single 10" or 12" in the trunk area, but securing it is worrisome. I could bolt the box directly to the wheel "hump", as much as it pains me to drill into a new Jeep.

I could also just velcro a fullsize enclosure to the carpet, although, this does nothing to deter theft. If I'm in a public parking space with the top down, anyone can just reach in and pick it up.

I've also heard of a few people mounting a shallow mount box directly to the tailgate. If I went this route, can any speak to how difficult it would be to secure a generic shallow mount box to it?

What is everyone else doing. Can't imagine I'm alone in trying to come up with the cleanest, most secure method. Thanks!
I made a custom box like the one below. Fits snug because its right on the frame. You can't pull it forward. Only way to take it is folding seats and pulling out through a door but the weight requires two people. The seats have to be pushed with a bit of force to lock so you can get idea of how snug it is. Does not move at all. Link to full build is below

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/complete-audio-system-upgrade.48515/

Jeep 3.jpg

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two doors were nice because you could wedge the box between the back seat and gate.
I made a custom box like the one below. Fits snug because its right on the frame. You can't pull it forward. Only way to take it is folding seats and pulling out through a door but the weight requires two people. The seats have to be pushed with a bit of force to lock so you can get idea of how snug it is. Does not move at all. Link to full build is below

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/complete-audio-system-upgrade.48515/

Jeep 3.jpg
That’s a great idea for a box. I like that it’s secure and not that easy to remove. Too bad the seat latches don’t lock. Are you going to make a cover for the speakers? If I made one I might face them into the back of the seat to hide them better.

Last edited:

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I finally measured under the rear seats and the rear side where the JL stealth box mounts. From my rough calculations there’s enough room for the JL 10tw3 @ about 0.50 to 0.60 cu ft if you made a fiberglass box.
Under the rear seat there’s plenty of room for two 10” or 12” shallow subwoofers. There’s quite a bit of room if you make a fiberglass and mdf box. The box could be removable if the front seat brackets could be removed and the seat rests on the box. If the brackets can’t be removed there’s still enough room for the subs but the box would be held in by the brackets.

robmoz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I installed a Kicker Hideaway 8" Powered sub in the storage area under the back floor a little over a year ago. I used security screws to secure it to the bottom of the bin. Not perfect, but hopefully prevents the basic knucklehead from easily getting it out. Really happy with the bass from it. Plenty strong for me even with doors off. Only gets significantly attenuated with a bunch of cargo on top of the floor. I really like that my main storage volume is unaffected.

20200514_142752.jpg
Sponsored