Sponsored

How to Secure a Subwoofer? Brainstorm with me?

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
I did some further calculations and there’s
I installed a Kicker Hideaway 8" Powered sub in the storage area under the back floor a little over a year ago. I used security screws to secure it to the bottom of the bin. Not perfect, but hopefully prevents the basic knucklehead from easily getting it out. Really happy with the bass from it. Plenty strong for me even with doors off. Only gets significantly attenuated with a bunch of cargo on top of the floor. I really like that my main storage volume is unaffected.

20200514_142752.jpg
It looks like it might be small enough to fit under one of the front seats. Did you try that?
There is quite a bit of space under the back seat in the 4 door. If the front support brackets can be removed a box could be built to slide under the seat. It could be made to be removable so the seats could be folded.
Two 10” shallow mount subwoofers would fit under the 60 side of the 60/40 seat. Allowing the small side to fold down without removing the box. There’s enough room to fit three 10” or two 12” shallow mount subwoofers under both seats.
Sponsored

robmoz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I did some further calculations and there’s

It looks like it might be small enough to fit under one of the front seats. Did you try that?
There is quite a bit of space under the back seat in the 4 door. If the front support brackets can be removed a box could be built to slide under the seat. It could be made to be removable so the seats could be folded.
Two 10” shallow mount subwoofers would fit under the 60 side of the 60/40 seat. Allowing the small side to fold down without removing the box. There’s enough room to fit three 10” or two 12” shallow mount subwoofers under both seats.
I didn't. I have an amp under one. The sub just took up too much footroom for the backseat passengers. I fold my seats down constantly so I didn't want anything that would impede that.

jcardenas7196

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler 4 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Two doors were nice because you could wedge the box between the back seat and gate.

That’s a great idea for a box. I like that it’s secure and not that easy to remove. Too bad the seat latches don’t lock. Are you going to make a cover for the speakers? If I made one I might face them into the back of the seat to hide them better.
The seat latches do lock, you just have to push the seat back harder than you normally would. The issue with facing them towards the seat is it would kill some of the sound.

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By locking I meant having a key lock you could insert to lock the release handles. If someone tried to release the seats the latch wouldn’t work.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
1-12” sub. Down/up/back/forward or side facing. What’s the best location/direction?
4-door JLU
I'm thinking rear facing butted up to the back seat.
thoughts?

Sponsored

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1-12” sub. Down/up/back/forward or side facing. What’s the best location/direction?
4-door JLU
I'm thinking rear facing butted up to the back seat.
thoughts?
There’s a good video on your question from Car Audio Fabrication. He tests multiple locations in a JK Wrangler.
CAF Wrangler Sub Location

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
So just to add what I’m now using. I got this little gem from frostbiteaudio. It was custom built. I follow them on ig. It’s a kicker l7 in a sealed box! I have a kicker 1200.1 installed for power. And this thing blew my mind for what I wanted! Need my soundbar upgrade ASAP to keep up with it! Once again wedges against seat and tailgate for an unremovable fit withOut opening the tailgate.

CE9AB717-89EB-47BB-8CCB-66469F0FD7B9.jpeg

0A8F6DFE-DCD1-4D29-BDB8-1388151F1517.jpeg

3C6F117F-43B7-437C-97CE-641CA8001CC2.jpeg

3E729B28-06B2-4999-8F20-7F74AC5356FD.jpeg

sknyfats

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Willys 2 Door
So just to add what I’m now using. I got this little gem from frostbiteaudio. It was custom built. I follow them on ig. It’s a kicker l7 in a sealed box! I have a kicker 1200.1 installed for power. And this thing blew my mind for what I wanted! Need my soundbar upgrade ASAP to keep up with it! Once again wedges against seat and tailgate for an unremovable fit withOut opening the tailgate.

CE9AB717-89EB-47BB-8CCB-66469F0FD7B9.jpeg

0A8F6DFE-DCD1-4D29-BDB8-1388151F1517.jpeg

3C6F117F-43B7-437C-97CE-641CA8001CC2.jpeg

3E729B28-06B2-4999-8F20-7F74AC5356FD.jpeg
I like that box - checking them out now - but correct account on Instagram appears to be frostbitebox.com_ and website is frostbitebox.com

PA JLUR

First Name
Cos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Purchased a JLUR (soft-top) without the Alpine package. Didn’t want to spend the money and lose the cargo space. I have been happy with audio, but after removing doors and top..... I felt audio was lacking..... so I decided to add a self powered sub (Alpine PWE-S8) under passenger seat. Got sub and felt the fit under seat was no good. A buddy of mine suggested, the top of the front passenger roll-bar above factory sound bar. I bought a black cutting board from Amazon.... cut it down to create a mounting platform. Used two existing factory holes (likely for hard tops which I don’t have) and installed it. Added 3M film on factory painted surfaces to protect from scratches in case I change my mind and remove it all. I also used weather stripping between hard surfaces to avoid vibration. I pulled power, remote on, and ground wires up through the passenger side pillar. Then tapped into sound bar speaker wires. So far, so good. Definitely have the bass I was looking for and install was straight forward. Only risk to this set up might be in expected rain fall if top is off.

Total cost of parts and materials was less than $300.

FCAE4B4F-D002-4492-BE10-F0D798B3A667.jpeg

2CD41FF3-E433-468F-914D-B4076A7DCFA7.jpeg

A0AEBBA7-7F2E-4984-A984-D38D0D56EAEE.jpeg

BD9849C6-4923-49E8-B912-5AF36A009C68.jpeg

Sponsored

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
I like that box - checking them out now - but correct account on Instagram appears to be frostbitebox.com_ and website is frostbitebox.com
Yes. If the logo your seeing is a blue shield with wolf howling your in the right place.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Purchased a JLUR (soft-top) without the Alpine package. Didn’t want to spend the money and lose the cargo space. I have been happy with audio, but after removing doors and top..... I felt audio was lacking..... so I decided to add a self powered sub (Alpine PWE-S8) under passenger seat. Got sub and felt the fit under seat was no good. A buddy of mine suggested, the top of the front passenger roll-bar above factory sound bar. I bought a black cutting board from Amazon.... cut it down to create a mounting platform. Used two existing factory holes (likely for hard tops which I don’t have) and installed it. Added 3M film on factory painted surfaces to protect from scratches in case I change my mind and remove it all. I also used weather stripping between hard surfaces to avoid vibration. I pulled power, remote on, and ground wires up through the passenger side pillar. Then tapped into sound bar speaker wires. So far, so good. Definitely have the bass I was looking for and install was straight forward. Only risk to this set up might be in expected rain fall if top is off.

Total cost of parts and materials was less than $300.

Jeep Wrangler JL How to Secure a Subwoofer? Brainstorm with me? BD9849C6-4923-49E8-B912-5AF36A009C68

Jeep Wrangler JL How to Secure a Subwoofer? Brainstorm with me? BD9849C6-4923-49E8-B912-5AF36A009C68

Not to knock you as this is actually a pretty cool idea. But sound wise maybe not. Im no expert by far. But your probably loosing a whole lot of bass there. And position of certain speakers do make a huge difference. Idk how that speaker works but thats great on the spot thinking and if its good for you then by all means im no one to knock it!

PA JLUR

First Name
Cos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
LOL! I originally thought the same thing and a buddy of mine reminded me that the JKs factory sub faces up in the cargo area.... so my thought is that the effect would be the same with a soft top. I will say you can definitely feel the bass. The one down side to it position is that my rear view mirror vibrates when the bass hits hard.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
LOL! I originally thought the same thing and a buddy of mine reminded me that the JKs factory sub faces up in the cargo area.... so my thought is that the effect would be the same with a soft top. I will say you can definitely feel the bass. The one down side to it position is that my rear view mirror vibrates when the bass hits hard.
Yeah that makes sense. But yes the cargo speaker does fire up. But you also have a bunch of trunk area to reverberate the vibrations and sound coming from the speaker. Regardless you loose out once the tops off. But maybe it makes sense to have it that close so you dont notice any loss

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
JKs weren't known for hard hitting bass either..........
Sponsored