Sponsored

How to run Dash Cam hardwire on 2021 JLU?

32beer1

First Name
Yongchang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU 4xe
Hello all.
My ride is 2021 JLU RUBI 4xe. I am planning to install a dash cam.
My ride has the advanced safety group. and also has the heavy-duty Electrical group.
does anyone know how to install the hardwires hidden in the trim?

thanks!!
Sponsored

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hello all.
My ride is 2021 JLU RUBI 4xe. I am planning to install a dash cam.
My ride has the advanced safety group. and also has the heavy-duty Electrical group.
does anyone know how to install the hardwires hidden in the trim?

thanks!!
Just finished my dashcam install. Went with a motorcyle dash cam. Waterproof, and the controller box tucks away.

If you're just mounting a standard cam to your windshield and running a power cable, route the power cable to the passenger A-pillar, down to the passenger footwell, and tap into the Aux wiring provided with the HD electrical group. Pretty sure you have the aux switches with the HD electrical....

The trim above the windshield just pops off if you pull down, but it won't get past the sun visor, and you can just stuff the wire along the front without removing it. The A-pillar trim comes off by removing the caps on the top and bottom of the grab handle and unbolting the two 10mm bolts.

From there, pop the trim plate from the side of the dash and you're down to the footwell.

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
That's exactly the way I mounted my Garmin Mini. Once down in the footwell, I used a 12V to 5V USB power converter and ran the 12v source to the cigarette/cigar lighter so that the camera was on whenever the vehicle was running.

Jeep Wrangler JL How to run Dash Cam hardwire on 2021 JLU? 12v to 5v

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
I’m wanting to run my dashcam off of the additional “ignition” aux wire (orange/pink) under the dash. Is it necessary to disconnect the battery before install?

I do not have the secondary battery as I have the e-torque system so disconnecting the main battery would kill the power completely. However, I’m wondering if it’s even necessary to disconnect the battery since this wire only receives power when the ignition is on. Thanks in advance!

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I did the same thing and didn’t pull the battery.

The only reason you’d pull the battery is if there’s a risk of shorting it to the vehicle body while working. There’s just no way in hell to do that here unless you get the wrong wire.

Note - I’m pretty sure my ignition wire and one of the aux switches had the wire colours swapped. Not sure if it’s just mine or if I had bad documentation online. Just check it first.

Sponsored

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
IMO - always pull the negative cable when doing ANY electrical work, or any work near wire bundles. Shorts happen and are generally a pain, at least, to deal with. No idea what additional with these eTorque 48V batteries.

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Have everything wired up, positive to positive, grounded out behind the passenger footwell trim but I’ve got no power to USB at camera. Potential voltage issue?

If it matters, I am using the same exact cable the was powering the camera previously by the cigarette lighter. I just cut off the plug and re-used the cable.

edit: Went back and looked at the original wiring plug and it converts 12v to 5v so I’ve ordered a converter to bring the voltage down.

Last edited:

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Uh oh. I hope giving the camera a full 12V instead of the 5V it expected didn’t damage it. That would suck.

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
Uh oh. I hope giving the camera a full 12V instead of the 5V it expected didn’t damage it. That would suck.
I ran a check and everything seems to be working still. I think I dodged a bullet. Would’ve been nice to catch that ahead of time though :whew:

Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
I did the same thing and didn’t pull the battery.

The only reason you’d pull the battery is if there’s a risk of shorting it to the vehicle body while working. There’s just no way in hell to do that here unless you get the wrong wire.

Note - I’m pretty sure my ignition wire and one of the aux switches had the wire colours swapped. Not sure if it’s just mine or if I had bad documentation online. Just check it first.
I had the same issue with switched wires. I have everything working now but my Aux 3 wire and ignition wire were color swapped.

392Newbie

First Name
ira
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 392
That's exactly the way I mounted my Garmin Mini. Once down in the footwell, I used a 12V to 5V USB power converter and ran the 12v source to the cigarette/cigar lighter so that the camera was on whenever the vehicle was running.

Jeep Wrangler JL How to run Dash Cam hardwire on 2021 JLU? 12v to 5v
Where do I get this ?
Sponsored