How to replace Sport fog light bulbs?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Apparently the Supernova V.4 LED bulbs are the #1 replacement for the halogen fog light bulbs on the Sport. From what the vendor told me they will gladly sell me full housing upgrades with dedicated LEDs, but just upgrading to these bulbs in my existing housings will actually be brighter and have a better beam pattern. So I'm going that route.

Question is... how do you get to the Sport fog light bulbs?? They appear to be covered fully by plastic lining on the back side of the bumper. Has anybody accessed these bulbs yet?
Sponsored

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
It's a lot of work. You have to remove those bumperettes. Search on Youtube or on here for how to remove those - plastic bumperette european fender bumpers or something like that.

tbh, if you're planning on a new bumper anytime soon, STOP, and just focus on getting the new bumper and new fog lights. Don't waste your time removing these. Removing the bumper makes it easier if you must keep your bumper. Turning the wheel also works but it's a PITA. It took me like 2 hours to do both sides. Very hard angles to deal with all the screws. I think there's 7 on each side plus you have to remove the lower air dam too.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
It's a lot of work. You have to remove those bumperettes. Search on Youtube or on here for how to remove those - plastic bumperette european fender bumpers or something like that.

tbh, if you're planning on a new bumper anytime soon, STOP, and just focus on getting the new bumper and new fog lights. Don't waste your time removing these. Removing the bumper makes it easier if you must keep your bumper. Turning the wheel also works but it's a PITA. It took me like 2 hours to do both sides. Very hard angles to deal with all the screws. I think there's 7 on each side plus you have to remove the lower air dam too.

Well, that sux. My LED fog bulbs are enroute to me , as we talk. Looks like a lot of work. But, these stock Halogen Fog lights are absolutely useless.

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Well, that sux. My LED fog bulbs are enroute to me , as we talk. Looks like a lot of work. But, these stock Halogen Fog lights are absolutely useless.
I went with some LEDs and they made a big difference, no doubt. Just a lot of work. If you have a right-angle screwdriver it might be easier.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I went with some LEDs and they made a big difference, no doubt. Just a lot of work. If you have a right-angle screwdriver it might be easier.
I have some stubbies, but will look for a right angled one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Hmmm.. I finally have some time so I think I'll go play with them and see how it goes.

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
OK so that wasn't too bad. If I'd had a bit for my cordless drill that would accept a 7mm socket I could have done it in 15 minutes. But with the 1/4" ratchet and cold hands it took a bit longer.

7mm screws x 14
8mm screws x 2
Plastic push rivets x 8

Dropped the air dam and then both fog light covers/bumperettes. Swapped out the bulbs. Buttoned it all back together. Didn't even remove the tires or use a lift.

These things are about as bright as the OE halogen headlights were. HUGE difference!

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
By the way, these suckers are bright!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Do you have any pictures looking at the lights when they're on? They look VERY yellow which is good.

WaldorfJL

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I just switched out mine. Not as bad as I had anticipated. Used a cordless drill with a 7mm socket. I did not remove the lower air/mud dam. Once the screws and two plastic retainers were out, I could reach everything from the top side. The bumperette dropped back. The retaining clips for the stock bulbs snapped right off..zero give...I used a flat head screw driver to work them out...sounds more complicated than it was...when I lifted the clips and they broke I thought it was something important on the jeep side that I broke off...I turned the wheels out...plenty of room to get under there. It's 0800 so I will have to wait until tonight to check the throw...the PITA will be adjusting if I need to. Taking it apart again to get to the adjustment knobs, in the dark...
Sponsored