Sponsored

how to remove the caps from the outside mirrors?

racethepace

First Name
Uwe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
Dear all,

we have an JLU with Overland package. In this version, the caps from the outside mirrors are painted silver, and I would like to have them painted in black.
But how to remove the caps from the outside mirrors?
I do not want to damage them when trying to disassemble them.
Anyone a hint for me how to proceed?

Best

racethepace, Germany
Sponsored

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
2018 JLUR; Early in my ownership, I took my jeep through a car wash that had rotary brushes and they pulled off the mirror cap. Learned my lesson to not use these types of car washes. The mirror cap broke on one side, so I had to order another one ($40-$50). They snap on. I think you could use a trim tool and snap it off but you have to be careful as the snap-points are delicate. I'm including pics of the inner mirror cap so you can zoom in and see where mine broke, and be careful not to break it. I'd say there is a great chance of it breaking these flimsy snap points even if you are being VERY careful.

IMG_0075.jpeg

IMG_0076.jpeg

OP
OP

racethepace

First Name
Uwe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
2018 JLUR; Early in my ownership, I took my jeep through a car wash that had rotary brushes and they pulled off the mirror cap. Learned my lesson to not use these types of car washes. The mirror cap broke on one side, so I had to order another one ($40-$50). They snap on. I think you could use a trim tool and snap it off but you have to be careful as the snap-points are delicate. I'm including pics of the inner mirror cap so you can zoom in and see where mine broke, and be careful not to break it. I'd say there is a great chance of it breaking these flimsy snap points even if you are being VERY careful.

IMG_0075.jpeg

IMG_0076.jpeg
Hi Mike,

great, thank you so much!!!

When I look at the photos, it does not look like you can get the cap off without damage. It's more a one-time snap-in. Maybe it's a better idea to remove the complete mirror for painting ...

Best

Uwe

Last edited:

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Why not wrap them? Cheap, fast, and would accomplish the same look.