OP

RSteckhahn

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S; 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
Of course there are. It is in the manual.
upload_2019-2-22_11-28-28.png

upload_2019-2-22_11-28-49.png
I referred to the manual first. It appears to be mainly suited to changing a tire as the jack locations are the same spots that one would put a jack stand.

Last edited:
OP
OP

RSteckhahn

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wrote up a howto with pictures to show where to put the jackstands:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jackstand-points.16089/
I actually read through your thread before making this post. The stand locations look great, and jacking from the rear diff is pretty straightforward. I’m just unsure the best way to jack the front AND get the stands in the locations you pictured. Some say the front diff, but this results in a lop-sided lift. Some say the control arm mounts, but they can’t be all that strong. I am leaning towards the axle tube towards the passenger side of the diff, but am nervous about the strength of the Dana 30. My rear Dana 44 is much beefier.

Last edited:

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I actually read through your thread before making this post. The stand locations look great, and hacking from the rear diff is pretty straightforward. I’m just unsure the best way to hack the front AND get the stands in the locations you pictured. Some say the front diff, but this results in a lop-sided lift. Some say the control arm mounts, but they can’t be all that strong. I am leaning towards the axle tube towards the passenger side of the diff, but am neevous about the strength of the Dana 30. My rear Dana 44 is much beefier.
Don’t ever think this. When I put our Jeep on the lift, I put that pads on the control arms/mounts. Very solid and strong. There’s zero concern placing jack stands on either of the axles tubes. These jeeps are light and axles are plenty strong enough

Brett

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I actually read through your thread before making this post. The stand locations look great, and hacking from the rear diff is pretty straightforward. I’m just unsure the best way to hack the front AND get the stands in the locations you pictured. Some say the front diff, but this results in a lop-sided lift. Some say the control arm mounts, but they can’t be all that strong. I am leaning towards the axle tube towards the passenger side of the diff, but am neevous about the strength of the Dana 30. My rear Dana 44 is much beefier.
Gotcha. I raised the front on the diff. One side comes up higher than the other, so I put the jackstands in place (set at the same height) and dropped the jack slowly. The lower side lands first, and then the other side settles. It takes more time than the rear, but works out fine.

I used these points because that’s what the owner manual states as jack points for the stock jack.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RSteckhahn

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To add closing info to my own post - the Jeep is incredibly easy to jack. There are an abundance of solid points to jack and support. Unless you are doing suspension work, jacking by the differential is super quick and easy. The wheels almost immediately come off the ground. Jacking the front differential does not make it raise nearly as lopsided asi had thought.

The only thing that I would note from my experience is jack stand height. My 2 1/4 and 3 ton jack stands were at or near full extension to get my 33 inch tires off the ground. Make sure to have nice tall, and sturdy, jack stands.

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
Did a 5 tire rotation last weekend. It was a pain in the ass. 4 Ton HF floor jack with a 2x4 on top barely fits on either side of the rear axel with enough room to scoot a 6 ton HF jack stand in but it does fit.

Front axel is a completely different story. There is no room on the axel and I didn’t want to jack it up by the front diff. So, I took out the factory skinny jack and did each front tire one at a time. Again, pain in the ass.

Those factory 33’s are heavy! Almost herniated myself getting the spare back on the rear.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Snipe:
Those factory 33’s are heavy! Almost herniated myself getting the spare back on the rear.
@Wrangles

Not my picture below... but ....this is how this ole man gets his spare up and in position to mount.... I can get the spare up on top of the totes ... kinda take a second or two break... and then line up and secure.

I might add that the 26 gal totes in the pic, also work well for carrying crapola in the back of the JL.

totes.jpg

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Snipe:

@Wrangles

Not my picture below... but ....this is how this ole man gets his spare up and in position to mount.... I can get the spare up on top of the totes ... kinda take a second or two break... and then line up and secure.

I might add that the 26 gal totes in the pic, also work well for carrying crapola in the back of the JL.

totes.jpg
I can still lift the spare into place. But who knows for how long?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Jondrew

When you get 70 yo and concerned about your back, consider using the totes as shown... ;)

Sponsored

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
Snipe:

@Wrangles

totes.jpg
Thanks for the tip! I’m still sore from that 5 tire rotation haha.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
For tire rotation I'm planning on jacking up by the frame, and doing one side at a time:
1. Remove spare
2. Lift Passenger side until wheels slightly off the ground
3. Remove passenger side wheels
4. Install spare on Rear Passenger side, install rear passenger side on front passenger
5. Drop passenger side down
6. Lift Drivers side, remove wheels
7, install front passenger side on rear drivers side, install rear drivers side on front drivers side
8. Drop drivers side down
install front drivers side on spare.

No need to have all 4 wheels off the ground ;)
Sponsored