Sponsored

How to properly paint tow hooks for beginners?

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Honestly I just did this on my wife's Jeep since she was going with the aqua/light blue colors which are pretty dead on to the 4xe. Not intentional just what she happened to like on her white Jeep.

I removed the front bumper which took about 10mins once I figured out where all the bolts were and about about 5 mins to get the hooks out. I took them outside the garage and put them on hangers upside down. Gave them 2-3 light coats letting them dry inbetween and they came out pretty damn perfect for just using canned spray paint. Did the rear hook as well which was actually more of a pain in the ass than the front bumper to get off and on.

You could probably mask it and not takeoff the front bumper but it is seriously not that hard to remove the bumper and do it right and not risk overspray on your bumper or body paint.

It's been about 3-4 weeks since I did it and they are holding up perfect.

1635555480724.png
Thanks for the insight on the process with the bumper. I'll probably have to watch a video of that and see what tools are needed to make a determination on that (I don't have a ton of tools, been living in an apt so only buy stuff as need arises).

How long did you wait until putting everything back together? Is it overnight? I have no garage or personal lawn. I have at least lawn in front of my building but currently have to move my car at night until I get rid of my other car. I could always go to a friend's with garage, or maybe a local jeep meet up, but that still leads me with having to eventually drive away unless I really coordinate staying a night, etc.
Sponsored

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I used self etching primer. The front hooks were with the Mopar 5 oz PBJ spray paint (Hydro Blue). The rear hook I used Dupli Color Medium Quasar Blue. Then about 5 coats of clear. Before mounting them i compared the two and could not find even the slightest difference in color.

20211023_123938.jpg

20211015_164701.jpg

Screenshot_20211029-211609_Amazon Shopping.jpg
I'll have to Google self etching primer. Cool to have new stuff to learn. On the paint, is there an advantage to the similar one you listed? Cheaper?

And I really like how it looks on your Jeep! Confirms that I'll like it on mine too

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
No, you could leave them on for this but it's going to be necessary to cover up the area near the hooks to avoid over spray. Tape around the hooks, and cover the entire area with some of the painters paper on rolls found at hardware stores. Just tape it on with 3m painters tape. Just remember any gaps left, the over spray will find it.
I recently found this picture on a different forum thread: https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/painting-tow-hooks-red-perfect-match-paint.2064001/ (aside it related somehow?). Seems similar to how you described it. But to your warning, maybe dumb question, but what did it run down to? Inside part of the bumper we just can't see so it doesn't matter? Or is something like painter paper a bit absorbent?

833FB04B-3C2F-461C-BDFB-5EE86B5E4563.jpeg

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I recently found this picture on a different forum thread: https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/painting-tow-hooks-red-perfect-match-paint.2064001/ (aside it related somehow?). Seems similar to how you described it. But to your warning, maybe dumb question, but what did it run down to? Inside part of the bumper we just can't see so it doesn't matter? Or is something like painter paper a bit absorbent?

833FB04B-3C2F-461C-BDFB-5EE86B5E4563.jpeg
Painter paper is not really that absorbent. Paint can run off of it too. Plastic sheeting like in the picture is good too, but it can be difficult to get it to stay in place like the holes these hooks on the front bumper sit in. Taping it off out a couple of inches and then use plastic or paper. Like in the picture, cover the Jeep up very well since the over spray will find gaps.

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
I'll have to Google self etching primer. Cool to have new stuff to learn. On the paint, is there an advantage to the similar one you listed? Cheaper?

And I really like how it looks on your Jeep! Confirms that I'll like it on mine too
8oz vs 5oz, cheaper, and ships much quicker.

Sponsored

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
Has anyone media blasted and powder coated them?
This is exactly what I plan to do with mine. I would think with paint the first time you need to actually use them they would end up scratch. Which would require repainting.

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is exactly what I plan to do with mine. I would think with paint the first time you need to actually use them they would end up scratch. Which would require repainting.
The powder coat comes off too. Soft straps mitigate that, but a touch up will be in order regardless. Anyways, I don't use mine, I use shackles from my off-road kit

JimmyB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Thanks for the insight on the process with the bumper. I'll probably have to watch a video of that and see what tools are needed to make a determination on that (I don't have a ton of tools, been living in an apt so only buy stuff as need arises).

How long did you wait until putting everything back together? Is it overnight? I have no garage or personal lawn. I have at least lawn in front of my building but currently have to move my car at night until I get rid of my other car. I could always go to a friend's with garage, or maybe a local jeep meet up, but that still leads me with having to eventually drive away unless I really coordinate staying a night, etc.
Honestly that particular paint that I put the picture in there dries incredibly quick. I would say it was tacky within 15mins and dry within 30. So two coats I think I went with and its set in about an hour. If you go light with the coats to get it on there without it running and a little patience you will get infinitely better results.

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
8oz vs 5oz, cheaper, and ships much quicker.
Ah intersting. I wonder if there's a sticky thread somewhere that crowd sources all the Mopar paint codes and their cheaper generics...

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I used self etching primer. The front hooks were with the Mopar 5 oz PBJ spray paint (Hydro Blue). The rear hook I used Dupli Color Medium Quasar Blue. Then about 5 coats of clear. Before mounting them i compared the two and could not find even the slightest difference in color.

Jeep Wrangler JL How to properly paint tow hooks for beginners? 833FB04B-3C2F-461C-BDFB-5EE86B5E4563

Jeep Wrangler JL How to properly paint tow hooks for beginners? 833FB04B-3C2F-461C-BDFB-5EE86B5E4563

Maybe next round of (hopefully) easy questions:

1) I was googling self etching primer. I saw this one for $7: https://smile.amazon.com/Krylon-Automotive-Etching-Primer-KA8609007/dp/B087XBFVHJ/?th=1 and another one on Amazon/Quadratec that's a bit over $30: https://smile.amazon.com/POR-15-41018-Self-Etch-Primer/dp/B00O4U3RES/. Is there an obvious reason for the cost difference?

2) Primers come in different colors. Does it matter at all since you're painting over it?

3) I read you shouldn't paint over self etching primer here: https://garage.eastwood.com/eastwood-chatter/can-you-paint-over-self-etching-primer/ . Did you put something on top? Or is it not a big deal?

Sponsored

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

BCool

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Tuscadero Sahara 4xe
Duplicolor BGM0533 Bahama Blue Metallic looks pretty close to 4xe blue to me

2021-11-13 13.30.46.jpg

2021-11-13 13.30.59.jpg

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
For one of my first few mods I thought it would be fun to learn how to paint my front and rear tow hooks body color. Think it would complement the black Willys grille. When I search the forums I see the idea mentioned quite a bit, but not too many specifics. I should own up to not having painted anything on a vehicle before (other than using a pen to fill in scratches).

I had found this thread from years ago: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-for-your-front-tow-hooks.9999/#post-1709440. The OP mentions using sandpaper, no primer, and doing it in place with newspaper. He's no longer on the forum though.

So far I know for sure I need body color paint. I can't remember which post I found it but someone linked to this site: https://www.cjponyparts.com/mopar-s...-2018-2021-gladiator-2020-2021/p/MOPARTUPC-V/.

Some real beginner questions:

1) Is the OP's model a good approach? It's certainly appealing in not having to take stuff off.
2) The paint site has Hydro Blue listed...is one 5oz spray can enough for this job?
3) Is it obvious when to stop sanding?
4) How many coats do you normally use?
5) The post above didn't use it, but is primer advised? If so, what do you buy? General automotive primer?
6) Anything else I'm missing?

Sorry if these questions are real basics. I'll accept any advice, or links if someone has written this out already, or a good video to watch. Thanks!
Personally, I took my black primered Sport tow hooks out of my stock bumper and fitted them to my steel stubby bumper. It’s a bit of a process to remove the red tow hooks, but doing it right the first time is worth it. The Sport tow hooks are already primered, so I just cleaned them up real good sprayed a light base coat of ocean blue metallic, and then 4-5 coats after to get a rich, metallic color that is pretty much spot on with the body. Finished it with a few coats of Mopar clear coat….take your time with this as it can dry hazy if you apply too much or too quickly. Went through two small cans of OBM and didn’t quite go through a single can of clear.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
I just lightly sanded with fine sandpaper just enough to get sheen off. Cleaned w/alcohol really well. Laid down plastic and taped it off then went to town. Didn’t take much at all. Take it easy spraying the paint—layers are your friend. Dried pretty quick. ESP when it’s 110 outside. (Note—-advise doing when it’s cooler out)

3FF6D4A5-7739-4CD5-9D38-8A81536ECA95.jpeg

F6B14A37-CEAB-4DA2-92F0-C34927B8AFF7.jpeg
Sponsored