Sponsored

How to paint Smittybilt bumper

Bszczepanski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I would like to paint my Smittybilt xrc bumper plastic rock guards that are on the bottom of the bumper the same color as my Jeep. Smittybilt calls it ultra -high-molecular-weight polyethylene and what do I need to do to paint it?

I know it may get damaged and scrapped on the trail but I can always re-touch them up when it occurs.

73BFC197-E40A-40EB-BCF3-769E296FD4C1.jpeg
Sponsored

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
You dont need to do much to paint plastic. Rough it up with fine steel wool or a scotchbrite pad, sand paper is to rough unless its 800 or higher. But a quality primer that is specific for plastic **very important** and buy a plastic specific paint. They are different from normal paint because they can flex with the plastic instead of just flake off.

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also rub it down thoroughly with rubbing alcohol to remove any release agents from manufacturing.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
^^^ Yeah, what he said. But I also wonder if plastic dipping the pieces would be better. If you scrape them, you can reapply the plastic dip.

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^ Yeah, what he said. But I also wonder if plastic dipping the pieces would be better. If you scrape them, you can reapply the plastic dip.
Thought about it but they dont make a close color really
Sponsored