How to negotiate for a JL EcoDiesel on dealer lot

jberry187

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon (JLURD), 1997 Wrangler Sahara
If I was going to buy the diesel right now, I would work an under the table deal. I'd tell the dealer to drive the jeep for a few hundred miles then sell it to me for 10% off a dealer demo model.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
If I was going to buy the diesel right now, I would work an under the table deal. I'd tell the dealer to drive the jeep for a few hundred miles then sell it to me for 10% off a dealer demo model.
Legally, dealer demos are still new vehicles; the buyer's name would be the first one noted on the DMV's newly issued Record of Title. That means any fines for a prohibited sale would remain in force, if they're otherwise applicable to the transaction.

Possibly the foregoing would compel the dealer to replace the fuel pump if he's able and prior to classifying the Jeep in question as a demo vehicle. In that instance, possibly the suggested workaround would net the desired benefits to the consumer.

jberry187

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon (JLURD), 1997 Wrangler Sahara
Legally, dealer demos are still new vehicles; the buyer's name would be the first one noted on the DMV's newly issued Record of Title. That means any fines for a prohibited sale would remain in force, if they're otherwise applicable to the transaction.

Possibly the foregoing would compel the dealer to replace the fuel pump if he's able and prior to classifying the Jeep in question as a demo vehicle. In that instance, possibly the suggested workaround would net the desired benefits to the consumer.
Good to know. I can say from first-hand experience, dealers donā€™t give a shit when it comes to the fuel pump. I tried to negotiate for a used ā€˜21 that was on the recall list. Dealer in Colorado actually RAISED the price of the jeep, stating it was ā€œtoo low of a profit marginā€.
I told them to duck off šŸ˜‚

Bandit59

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Strongly interested to buy and see quite a few new and used JL EcoDiesel's on dealer lots. With the motor option being discontinued and a recall that can't be remedied quickly what are some recommendations in negotiating the price? For new vehicles, it looks like below invoice pricing, Tread Lightly program, etc are all in play - is that correct? (at one time I thought it was only for ordered vehicles). Current list prices for new aren't that much higher than used so I'm leaning that way naturally.

I realize there is a pricing forum but wanted to dial on the EcoDiesel and
how to negotiate through it's particular challenges so figure I'd start here. Mods please move if needed.

Really hope to go this route, love my 2001 Ram 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins!

Thanks all!
First thing this is not a Cummins made engine. Not near the same. And right now with recall canā€™t sell them

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Just because the guy says he enjoys his Cummins doesn't mean he is saying EcoDiesel is a Cummins engine. Ecodiesel is just as good.

Used is going to be your best route right now Matt. Find one out there I am sure.

Rival///

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2022 Supra CF
Occupation
Trash Collector; Budā€™s Sanitation
My experience over the last couple days has been no new vehicle sales due to Stop Sale Order as mentioned above.

For used, Iā€™m working a deal on one in another state. What Ive been told is that they can sell to me because Iā€™m out of state (or from a state that allows the sale of used with open recall). However, they are unable to sell to an in-state resident due to the requirements in that state.

1945gpw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 TDI, 2022 4Runner, 2023 Eco-Rubicon
I was in the process of buying a new diesel JL out of state since it was the exact color combo I was looking for when the recall was announced. Iā€™m hoping by the end of the year I can continue with buying it but who knows how long the recall is going to take.
I think they had about 8 of them in stock at the time. Maybe by then it will be a last years model and they will want to get them off the lot and reduce the price a little. Before the recall I was seeing several with between 3 and 4K off msrp

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Is there an actual fix for the fuel pump? I was think that there isn't one yet.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Is there an actual fix for the fuel pump? I was think that there isn't one yet.
I don't know, John. Possibly not yet.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I don't know, John. Possibly not yet.
From what I can tell there's no indication that there's anything in the pipeline. It might simply be cheaper for them to replace the 1% as they fail.

OP
OP

jammingator

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ram 2500 w/Cummins, 2001 Toyota Land Cruiser
So a couple of follow ups:

-called one dealer who said there was a stop sale and he couldn't work on any type of deal for the couple he had in inventory - not even an agreement pending recall remedy
-talked to another who had one in inventory who invited me to come drive it and talk about it. He did not mention the recall and neither did I. I'm going to do just that.

As to a pump solution, there is no true solution to the root of the problem as far as I can tell. If you have an issue, they repair with the same unit (if they can get one) and clean up the fuel system. I'm still doing a lot of reading but looks like the issue has gone on for a while (also on other brand vehicles) and includes a ton of vehicles. For some the CP3 pump was a solution, I guess if it was that easy there would be more movement on that.

Reminds me of the Bosch VP44 issue on the Cummins, there was never a recall but the pump was a huge problem and there probably should have been. There's a strong aftermarket still today for those pumps as well as an option to switch to another pump - the P pump. This was the pump used on motors just before the VP44 came out - the CP3 pump of the day. Diesel owners and aftermarket support are very innovative and mechanically able to adapt and come up with solutions. It'll be interesting to see where this goes on that end.

For whatever reason, probably due to that last statement, I'm not afraid to get into one of these Wranglers with the 3.0 - probably a little naive but it's where I'm at today anyhow :)

OP
OP

jammingator

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ram 2500 w/Cummins, 2001 Toyota Land Cruiser
Update: drove the diesel and loved it, also drove an Xtreme Recon and loved it. Give me the Xtreme Recon package with the diesel and it's perfect for me as far as a stock vehicle! Numbers were discussed.

Deleted member 59498

You can build your own XR once you have your diesel! Most say you don't have to regear to go little larger tires and it doesn't even notice.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase