Sponsored

How to nationalize a Jeep Rubicon purchased in Mexico?

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
My dad lives in Mexico and purchased a Jeep Rubicon in 2018. It has less than 5,000 miles on it. I want to know if there is any legal process to bring it into the USA and nationalize it/legalize it and sell it over here? Does anyone have any experience with this?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t. But if Canada is any indication, the VIN will flag the vehicle was built for a foreign market, rendering all warranty coverage null and void in the US.

Other than that, you can check with an import broker about federilizing the vehicle, like replacing the speedometer, the odometer, etc.

Good luck.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I have no idea about required changes to make it legal in another country, but I’d bet it’s easier to change over and will sell for more in Costa Rica. Jeeps are rare there and 4WD in general are in demand. There’s a dealership in San Jose but I never see Jeeps on the road. I have only found one place to rent them and it seemed kind of sketchy and expensive to boot. I usually end up with a Mitsubishi vehicle.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
@Levin_tom did your dad by it new from a dealership? If he did you are pretty much out of luck as it will not meet the DOT or EPA Regs. If he bought it from a private party it may be a US market Jeep that was taken to Mexico. Look at the drivers door jamb for the sticker with the VIN and all the other info and
it will say “this vehicle conforms to all applicable U.S.A. Federal Motor Vehicle _____ etc” and under the hood there will be a sticker that looks like this.
8A6690B4-01A1-417A-8FFA-9754B0189A88.jpeg

If it has these then it was a US market vehicle taken abroad and and can be re-imported. Just follow the instructions from the link posted above by @runningshoes.

Small disclaimer *a LOT* of vehicles are stolen every day in the US to be sold in foreign countries. If you show up to register it in the US and it was stolen, be prepared to answer a lot of questions.

Gregj

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
My dad lives in Mexico and purchased a Jeep Rubicon in 2018. It has less than 5,000 miles on it. I want to know if there is any legal process to bring it into the USA and nationalize it/legalize it and sell it over here? Does anyone have any experience with this?
I hear there's a gap in the fence in Texas... just drive it across.

Kidding.
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

Here's the gov't information. It seems the key point is as noted by another poster - was the Jeep built to meet USA EPA and Safety specs or not?
I believe there is a process to make it meet US spec...probably only a handful of parts or an ecu flash plus documentation of the differences.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If you know someone with a tow company or auto repair shop, have them file a mechanics lien on it, then apply for a title. Then they can sign the title over to you. Not sure if that will work where you are, but I've seen Mexican vehicles here in Texas done that way. Double check first to make sure that loophole wasn't changed.

You could also buy a badly wrecked JL cheap, then use the Mexican one to "rebuild" it. It would then be titled as a rebuilt salvage and have a much lower market value. But it would be titled and you would be able to insure it.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Pretty sure the 25 year rule applies and then your free to register it here
The Mexican standards are different like the seat belts can be crocheted and the airbag feature is a helium nozzle in the rear to blow up balloons for fiestas. The margarita machine option is rare but well worth the upgrade, Jeep offers that instead of the hard top for that market but it does come with a much better air conditioner which is needed to make the ice.
Nice units but they simply don't make the same standards
Governments trying to stop us from having any fun !!!

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I have no idea about required changes to make it legal in another country, but I’d bet it’s easier to change over and will sell for more in Costa Rica. Jeeps are rare there and 4WD in general are in demand. There’s a dealership in San Jose but I never see Jeeps on the road. I have only found one place to rent them and it seemed kind of sketchy and expensive to boot. I usually end up with a Mitsubishi vehicle.
it's usually close to 100% duty/taxes/fees etc on importing vehicles into Costa Rica

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
it's usually close to 100% duty/taxes/fees etc on importing vehicles into Costa Rica
:surprised: I didn’t know it was that high. Never mind…
Sponsored