Sponsored

How to make the ride more comfortable

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I don't think sidewall height is as much of an issue as tire/wheel weight, load rating, shock valving, and overall unsprung mass.

The Sports come with a 245/75R17, which is about 31.5" tall, giving approximately 7.25" of sidewall. A 20" wheel with a 35" tire has about 7.5" of sidewall. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I don't think it's been asked unless I missed it. Mo @OreoJeep have you owned a Jeep or a solid front axle 4x4 prior to your current Jeep? It's really a different animal vs. most other vehicles in regard to on road driving characteristics.

When you change the suspension geometry through a lift kit it can enhance the "quirky" live axle traits, that combined w/ the new tires & wheels can make a previously well mannered vehicle a chore to deal with on the road.

Do you know the offset of your 20" wheels? If they are too negative, like a -18 or more, this can mess w/ your scrub radius which effects steering response and overall handling.

It sounds like you opened up a can of worms that you are unfamiliar with. IMO taking it back a couple notches and run something a bit more conservative would be a wise plan.

To run those tires you could get by w/ a Rubicon spring set and upgrade to some Fox 2.0 shocks, and get that caster increased w/ some Mopar lift LCAs. should only cost about $800 if you go that route and probably be able to get some money back if you sell that lift kit you have now.

And then once your current tires are worn down I'd agree w/ the rest, get some 17" wheels w/ a conservative offset like a +10 and have tires w/ more sidewall.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
You already have caster correction with the RC drop brackets, and it comes with a front track bar and rear bracket. Your tire selection and pressure isn’t causing vibration.

Im guessing you may have thrown a wheel weight (if they were balanced correctly).

OP
OP

OreoJeep

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I don't think it's been asked unless I missed it. Mo @OreoJeep have you owned a Jeep or a solid front axle 4x4 prior to your current Jeep? It's really a different animal vs. most other vehicles in regard to on road driving characteristics.

When you change the suspension geometry through a lift kit it can enhance the "quirky" live axle traits, that combined w/ the new tires & wheels can make a previously well mannered vehicle a chore to deal with on the road.

Do you know the offset of your 20" wheels? If they are too negative, like a -18 or more, this can mess w/ your scrub radius which effects steering response and overall handling.

It sounds like you opened up a can of worms that you are unfamiliar with. IMO taking it back a couple notches and run something a bit more conservative would be a wise plan.

To run those tires you could get by w/ a Rubicon spring set and upgrade to some Fox 2.0 shocks, and get that caster increased w/ some Mopar lift LCAs. should only cost about $800 if you go that route and probably be able to get some money back if you sell that lift kit you have now.

And then once your current tires are worn down I'd agree w/ the rest, get some 17" wheels w/ a conservative offset like a +10 and have tires w/ more sidewall.
Hi. No i have not this is my first. My wheels are -18mm offset. So people buy used lifts? Im assuming the RC is so cheap they probably would rather a new one lol but i could be wrong. I appreciate your suggestion on what i could to do help me fix it . Do you have a preferred website where i could order those items from?

OP
OP

OreoJeep

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
You already have caster correction with the RC drop brackets, and it comes with a front track bar and rear bracket. Your tire selection and pressure isn’t causing vibration.

Im guessing you may have thrown a wheel weight (if they were balanced correctly).
this is the kit that i have.Are these the parts your talking about?

B487D679-BA9C-4A04-B536-CF2C4E6346D5.png

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
this is the kit that i have.Are these the parts your talking about?

B487D679-BA9C-4A04-B536-CF2C4E6346D5.png
From the RC description
A set of control arm drop brackets allow you to retain the factory arms at the proper geometric angle for great handling and a smooth highway ride. Better still, this kit features sway-bar links, bump stops and a front, adjustable forged track bar which helps keep your axles tame even under demanding off-road action and is easy to adjust on the vehicle.

That bracket in the top center of the picture is your rear track bar bracket.

OP
OP

OreoJeep

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
From the RC description
A set of control arm drop brackets allow you to retain the factory arms at the proper geometric angle for great handling and a smooth highway ride. Better still, this kit features sway-bar links, bump stops and a front, adjustable forged track bar which helps keep your axles tame even under demanding off-road action and is easy to adjust on the vehicle.

That bracket in the top center of the picture is your rear track bar bracket.
Got it! Ty

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi. No i have not this is my first. My wheels are -18mm offset. So people buy used lifts? Im assuming the RC is so cheap they probably would rather a new one lol but i could be wrong. I appreciate your suggestion on what i could to do help me fix it . Do you have a preferred website where i could order those items from?
The Rubicon springs are typically found used on the site, check the suspension section in the marketplace here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/suspension-steering-chassis.54/
Might get lucky and find some within a reasonable distance or find a member willing to ship, You only need the shocks & springs, and the Rubicon shocks should be better than those RC shocks you have now. Shocks are easy to change so you could drive it w/ the Rubicon set and see how you like it. If you decide you want a slightly firmer but more controlled ride the Fox 2.0s are a good option, and they give a few more inches of travel for better off road duty.
Best price on Fox shocks (0 to 1.5" lift over stock Rubicon springs) was here, came out about $148 per shock and fresh July 2021 date codes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174831451632
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174832258570

When searching for Rubicon sets look for some off a 4dr w/ hardtop, steel bumper, and tow pkg for the most lift. You can always add a 3/4" spacer set all around to get about 2 to 2.25" of total lift. And IMO it's best to use new arms rather than relocation brackets just to keep things cleaner (and simpler). Those Mopar lift LCAs can be found at most any mopar supply source. The part # and install info is here (post #4 is the LCA stuff)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/
I'd give the thread a look over just to get familiar w/ what's involved.

As far as the -18 wheels & running 20s, this will result in a firm ride and steering would be better w/ less negative offset, but you're already invested in this set so just hang with them. Like I mentioned, when the tires wear out you might want to look into something a bit more "road friendly".

Hopefully you can get to a happy place w/out breaking the bank.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
We need pics of your Jeep. The suspension and wheels/tires, front and back where the weights are.

+18/+12 Method 17x9 wheels and LT315/75/17C tires. Buy these and sell your 20s to some kid who cares more about looks than function. You’ll thank me later.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
We need pics of your Jeep. The suspension and wheels/tires, front and back where the weights are.

+18/+12 Method 17x9 wheels and LT315/75/17C tires. Buy these and sell your 20s to some kid who cares more about looks than function. You’ll thank me later.
This^^^
Or even a D-rated if the tire you like doesn't come in a C :)

OP
OP

OreoJeep

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler

I can take some tmw or thursday. Bout time im off work its super dark but im off early thur.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
We all had to learn at some point. Everyone here is trying to help you. Many of is have learned that buying parts based on only price or looks is a sure way to wind up disappointed.

That having been said, not all expensive parts are good and not all good parts are expensive. Many here know what’s good and what isn’t. What works and what breaks or just sucks. Cost usually increases with the capability it brings. There are many price points where you will find good parts.

Oh, take pics with the center caps off your wheels if they have them. That way we can see the lug nuts too.

OP
OP

OreoJeep

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
We all had to learn at some point. Everyone here is trying to help you. Many of is have learned that buying parts based on only price or looks is a sure way to wind up disappointed.

That having been said, not all expensive parts are good and not all good parts are expensive. Many here know what’s good and what isn’t. What works and what breaks or just sucks. Cost usually increases with the capability it brings. There are many price points where you will find good parts.

Oh, take pics with the center caps off your wheels if they have them. That way we can see the lug nuts too.
I def appreciate it. The back tire doenst have the center cap i think ina

i dont know how to take those off :( i just have the back tire

F41E77B6-4B7E-46D9-A2A2-F15DF72D0C57.jpeg
Sponsored