Sponsored

How to keep the neighborhood stray cats from sleeping in my doorless Jeep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
If you leave your Jeep open like that, you're lucky it's only stray cats. Garage it, or put the doors/top back on.

G.
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
To the contrary, I took his request as completely serious. My solution may seem comical (and would be hysterical if placed in view of a motion activated camera), but I assure you it is also 100% effective. And cheap. 64 Victor (the best) traps can be had on Amazon for 31 bucks. When a critter sets that booby trap off, I GUARANTEE said critter will NEVER return.
Cat rug or drone will scare all other cats away. Dead serious, well the rodent would need to be...

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
How about a battery powered, motion activated 'guard dog' alarm? Several on Amazon and pretty sure that would get the kitties to look for another home without doing harm to our feline friends!

Depending where you live, I might be more concerned with finding a homeless person passed out in my open / unlocked vehicle...

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
They only hang around 'cause my neighbor feeds them.

But anyway, the last few mornings I've walked over to my Jeep and there was a cat sitting in the passenger seat. I've known about it for a while cause of the cat hair, but I don't want to have to think about it as I groggily walk over. Anybody have any suggestions to keep them out? There's been some rain recently which has taught them that they can hide from the weather (I put the top up to keep it sort of dry inside).

I have seat covers so I'm not terribly worried about the seats being ruined, but I will be very annoyed if a cat relieves itself in my Jeep. One might say, pissed off.

Garaging is unfortunately not an option. Animal control might be, but I'm not sure yet. I'm willing to get a cover for it if there are no other options, but I thought I'd ask before spending money.
You don't understand. It's their Jeep now. You just borrow it occasionally.

But seriously, if they like hanging out there you'll have to completely seal it up or post a 24hr guard. Cats are persistent as hell when they want to be. Don't worry about a cat relieving itself in the Jeep, especially if they're sheltering there. It's not the material they prefer to use and they don't like the smell either. An intact Tom might spray a little if he REALLY likes the Jeep but that's fairly unlikely. Do you know if these are strays and if they have been spayed/neutered? There are places that will do that for free with feral cats. You should make a habit of slapping your hand on the hood before you start it up in case they climbed up there, especially once it gets cold.

Sponsored

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
A cheap solution, if you can stand the smell, might be mothballs. That's one of the most common ways to keep cats out of your garden, though success may vary depending on the tenacity of your local cats.

Scatter them around the floorboards, perhaps, and see if you have any luck.

Bonus: No moths in the Jeep either.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Nice little bowl of anti-freeze placed on a floor mat... and Iā€™m a cat dad.

Not cool! Even if joking...There are other ways to discourage cats without resorting to a painful, poisonous execution. You might end up killing a neighbors child's pet-or even one of your children's pets...

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Our pet cat stays in the garage during the evenings to keep him out of the cold and away from coyotes, but he is already guilty of urinating in one of our older Jeeps (luckily Rhino-lined). So...when I got my new JL a couple weeks ago, I invested in three of these:

Amazon.com : Tattle Tale Sonic Pet Training Vibration Alarm : Tattle Tale : Pet Training And Behavioral Aids : Pet Supplies

One goes on the hood, another on the soft top (one of his favorite perches), and another in the interior if I have the top and/or doors off. These are super sensitive, and worked like a champ. Now he only has to see them, and knows to keep his paws off. IMHO, I think these are pricey, but they've done the job well, so no complaints otherwise.

BTW...while moth balls may be effective at keeping the cats away, the fumes are also quite toxic and can kill them. After trying out several other methods, I found these alarms to be one of the more humane and effective options out there.

Last edited:

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
too much cat hate! I've heard that aluminum foil can keep cats away, they don't like the texture or something lol. might be an old wives tale
It works well. My cats were scratching the window screen constantly, stupidly thinking they could catch birds through the window. A bit of foil on the ledge scared them off.

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
They only hang around 'cause my neighbor feeds them.

But anyway, the last few mornings I've walked over to my Jeep and there was a cat sitting in the passenger seat. I've known about it for a while cause of the cat hair, but I don't want to have to think about it as I groggily walk over. Anybody have any suggestions to keep them out? There's been some rain recently which has taught them that they can hide from the weather (I put the top up to keep it sort of dry inside).

I have seat covers so I'm not terribly worried about the seats being ruined, but I will be very annoyed if a cat relieves itself in my Jeep. One might say, pissed off.

Garaging is unfortunately not an option. Animal control might be, but I'm not sure yet. I'm willing to get a cover for it if there are no other options, but I thought I'd ask before spending money.
Put one behind each doorway facing out https://amzn.to/3dxnDwW It will scare the shit out of them and they'll never come back

FINN 2.0

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR. 1979 Ford 150.
I used to use a motion activated cat repellant called Stayaway Automatic Cat Deterrent by ConTech. It worked great and cost around $15.00

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I used to have the same problem with stray cats getting on my ATV. Spread towels on the seats. Buy a dozen mouse traps and set them, then set them on the towels on the seats. You will find a few sprung traps with cat hair in them. After that, no cat problem.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I have the same problem (see pic).

Seriously, get a trail cover. I use Rain Gearā€™s product and am happy with it. Itā€™ll help with critters and weather too, along with dust, etc. Itā€™s not too expensive and itā€™s money well spent. And itā€™ll be easier to use than putting the doors back on when youā€™re expecting bad weather.

P.s. Dogs drool cats rule.

9E571A47-6B1B-44B2-A71A-CE22BDC9474D.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.