Sponsored

How to keep mice out of my stored jeep...

obiwankabaldi

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I know that some of you probably store your jeeps for extended time. How do you keep mice from getting in? I heard about drier sheets, moth balls etc. Also heard that if I put the jeep up on jack stands with the wheels off that will work. True?.. And does it hurt at all to have the jeep sitting up on jack stands for 4 months? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I’ve heard that steel wool and moth balls are very effective. Moth balls stink like shit so I would place them around the perimeter outside of your JEEP. Steel wool tucked underneath the frame especially around the engine should keep them out. Jacking up your rig would be good to avoid flat spots on the tires. This is all info obtained from my father in law with a 5th wheel camper.

OP
OP

obiwankabaldi

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Thanks for the replies. Spending 4 or 5 months down South during our winter and leaving the jeep behind. Hoping to pick up an older one down there in Florida to play with a bit. Don't need any of those nasty mice moving into my jeep. I have had them nest in my mower and 4 wheeler and they drive me crazy. Moth balls work on those now but don't want to put moth balls inside my jeep...

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, the softener sheets that go in dryers keeps the critters at bay. Lots of folks who lay up their boat for the winter use them. I use them and no little critters eating the wires or cushions, etc. They do work well.

Sponsored

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I use a bit of all the above to keep critters out of my airstream when it is stored. Sticky traps around the wheels where they can scurry up, hi frequency plug ins inside the trailer and various other things like peppermint oil, dryer sheets, etc. keep the inside of the Jeep free from French fry and food litter that can wedge in between the seats.

Tried to raise three feral cats around my shop but the coyotes made quick work of that plan.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I use drier sheets on my mowers and they work pretty good.

Robe81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I'll second the dryer sheets. I put em in my Challenger while deployed for a year. Worked great.

Sponsored

Lincoln

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, 2017 Chevy Express 2500 High Top Explorer 4x4 Conversion Van, 2011 Ford F-150, 2016 Jayco Seneca 37TS Motorhome
I know that some of you probably store your jeeps for extended time. How do you keep mice from getting in? I heard about drier sheets, moth balls etc. Also heard that if I put the jeep up on jack stands with the wheels off that will work. True?.. And does it hurt at all to have the jeep sitting up on jack stands for 4 months? Thanks for any help.
I store a 40’ Motorhome for 5 months of the year with lots of nooks and crannies for mice to get into and have had good luck using peppermint oil on cotton balls and putting them everywhere and it also smells good

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If you or the neighbors have pets please don't do Dcon

I'm all for killing mice in sick and twisted ways, but just mice. I even have to set live traps for pack rats and I was able to find a rectangular plastic tool box the trap fits in nicely for drowning once they're trapped (a 5 gallon bucket was too short)

In the meantime keep the mouse population around your place low with buckets (sometimes they just climb into even empty buckets and can't get out) or snap traps. I take pride in being frugal and reusing snap traps a dozen times LOL - no reason to throw away a perfectly good trap just 'cause there's a dead mouse in there!

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Cats are smelly, hairy, and like to tear stuff up. Snakes are great.
Snakes are great in my back yard. Not my Jeep. I vote to get the cat. Ok, get a hairless one:like:...
But peppermint oil on cotton balls work great too. I use these in my house. Apparently, my hairy, smelly cats eat too well and don't like to hunt the field mice:giggle:

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
We had a huge problem with the mice chewing wires in my wife's Mountaineer. Got some Victor Scent Away bags and hung around in the engine compartment. No more mice. Smell is peppermint, so can be used inside the vehicle as well.
Sponsored