Sponsored

how to keep 4xe height under 82" with rooftop tent?

DeepAK47

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E63
pickle situation..

i totally missed that 73.5 inch tall 4xe, with 3.5" lift, 37 inch tires, and roof rack with hard shell tent (was planning to put ikamper mini) is going to be over 82.5 inch garage entrance.

Any suggestion/workaround to control height? if parked on driveway, going to hail and dent/damage at least once a year in Dallas, TX. (selling house is not option)
Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Only way I can think of is removing it between uses. I just did the Teraflex 2.5 with 37's and I'm not sure the roof rack would fit in the garage now. It is around a 4 inch lift as the Rubicon is already 1 inch taller to start.

OP
OP

DeepAK47

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E63
would deflating bead lock wheels (to 8 psi) while parking in garage is practical and long term? i thought of having air compressor anyways. can that be helpful cutting off few inches?

Penguinking

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR 4xe
would deflating bead lock wheels (to 8 psi) while parking in garage is practical and long term? i thought of having air compressor anyways. can that be helpful cutting off few inches?
I agree with @Sboden and would just remove the RTT between uses. Yes, it would be a bit of a hassle, but if it is parked outside and starts hailing, you'd have to run out, deflate, and then move into the garage (and that delay could contribute to the hail damage). As far as deflating long term, you risk getting flat spots on your tires if it sits too long in the same position with all the weight. That can happen in as little as a month & could be temporary, but it can also damage the tires in the long term. If you just wanted to deflate, close the garage door, and inflate to a safe level, then that would probably work, but you'd have to be careful of opening the garage in that situation. Either way, I'd have a spotter make sure you'll clear the garage entrance with no issues.

...And if you don't want to compromise you can leave the RTT on in the driveway and wrap the Jeep in pool noodles :rock:😂
Jeep Wrangler JL how to keep 4xe height under 82" with rooftop tent? pool noodles

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Deflating tires won’t get you even close...

I mounted an iKamper to my Jeep and had similar concerns (but a taller garage, and no lift).

Let’s math it out:

73.5” Height of stock vehicle
2.0” Estimated Increase due to 37” tires
3.5” Estimated Increase due to Lift Kit
79.0” Total estimated height of vehicle BEFORE roof rack/tent
2.0” Estimated lowest profile roof rack (you would likely be taller than this)
12.94” Height of iKamper Mini
93.94” Estimated Height with Tent Mounted

And you have an 82.5” garage height?!?!?

You would be over by more than 11”. Even if you took your tires completely off and drove in on your rims, you might not make it!

My suggestion:

Measure the actual height of your Jeep at its highest point rather than using a back of the envelope method like I’ve done above. Subtract that height from your garage door height to see if anyone even makes a roof rack that would fit. The Rhino Rack backbone system has potential - as the legs and platform can be removed, leaving only 6 bases on the roof. The problem is, if you want the quick release mounts, the bases are a bit taller than the non-quick release legs.

If, after that math/research, you find there is a rack that would still fit, then you do as others have said, and mount/dismount the tent in your driveway as needed.

Alternatively, you could go with something like this:

Last edited:
OP
OP

DeepAK47

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E63
Skycamp mini weighs 125 lbs or 57 kg. I see this is the best option to dismount it in between use or park on driveway for short term (or rent a storage unit, xXX expensive). and/or find something lighter RTT option. definitely Rhino backbone system is the choice of rack.

yup.. need to have lift and big tires

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Build a small steel building in your back yard, if you have a wide enough side gate. 12x20 with an 8x8 overhead door should be just enough.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
pickle situation..

i totally missed that 73.5 inch tall 4xe, with 3.5" lift, 37 inch tires, and roof rack with hard shell tent (was planning to put ikamper mini) is going to be over 82.5 inch garage entrance.

Any suggestion/workaround to control height? if parked on driveway, going to hail and dent/damage at least once a year in Dallas, TX. (selling house is not option)
Put a lift on your garage.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
If you keep the vehicle stock you can run a Falcon roofnest on it. Otherwise forget about it if you have a 7 foot entryway, never gonna happen. Let alone an ikamper lol.

But you said you have 82.5 clearance. Bone stock, 2" platform, Roofnest falcon, you're at 82.0" -- you have half an inch . Lol.

It's exactly why I sold my JLUR and bought a Gladiator. Well, and I didn't want to drill through my hard top.

I'm running (or going to be) Billie Bars + Roofnest Condor. Then I can use my electric winch that normally is used for a hard top to lower and raise the entire rack setup when I'm not using it. Also allows me to keep the vehicle in the garage without a height issue, even on 37's and 4 1/2" of lift. Plus, the RTT doesn't stick above the cab, or beyond the tailgate.
Sponsored